Cabling features: highlight possible connections and double-click to assign

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
joeyluck

26 Mar 2017

I feel like there is much that can be learned form the Moog Model 15 iOS app.
There are a couple features in regards to cabling I find to be very handy.

The first is that when you drag a cable, focus is given to the connections you can make.
Whether that is done by enhancing those and/or greying out the others, I think it helps very much visually.

Model_15-cables.jpg
Model_15-cables.jpg (131.98 KiB) Viewed 1995 times

The other is double-clicking to make connections. As expressed by chimp_snanner previously :thumbs_up:
viewtopic.php?p=257209#p257209
chimp_spanner wrote:One feature which is really nice - and would work fantastically in Reason - is double press a source, scroll, double press a destination. Dragging cables in Reason across multiple racks really is hassle. I know you can use the right click menu but with a lot of devices it can get really confusing. Would be great if you could double press Mod Env CV Out (or whatever), go to another device, double press a CV in and it's connected. Is it even worth sending a feature suggestion? :lol:
I didn't see a topic created for this suggestion, but did see that it was sent in. Hear anything back, chimp_spanner?

This could also utilize the same feature as above to point you to all the possible connections visually.

Loque

26 Mar 2017

Could be very useful to ppl new to cabling, but also for advanved. If i have a device with lots of CV it takes a while to find the right one even if they are normally nice grouped.

Maybe an additional feature could be to use some colors for special cables like note and gate.
Reason12, Win10

etyrnal

26 Mar 2017

I never liked it when Advanced software panders to Noobs. It almost inevitably always leads to Advanced software being dumbed down over time as it more and more tries to cater to people who don't know how to think in its terms and Concepts. Then you kind of windup with the McDonald's of software.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

joeyluck

26 Mar 2017

etyrnal wrote:I never liked it when Advanced software panders to Noobs. It almost inevitably always leads to Advanced software being dumbed down over time as it more and more tries to cater to people who don't know how to think in its terms and Concepts. Then you kind of windup with the McDonald's of software.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
I don't see it as that. The first would just be helping to enhance things visually. Speeds up workflow.
We are after all working with GUIs of the software. Otherwise, all of these plugins could just be numbers.
You could say something like a spectrum EQ isn't needed. You can hear the frequencies and the knobs in the Mixer do the same thing (as the Spectrum EQ is tied to them).

The second suggestion helps with workflow and making connections across the rack quicker.

But all that said, even if you want to see it the way you do, I think anything that invites "noobs" to use the advanced features of the back panel is certainly not a bad idea.

mfavila

26 Mar 2017

At this point, I still love the cabling analogy, but I would love to select the connection from a drop down like in Ableton

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

esselfortium

26 Mar 2017

I'm all for anything to speed up the back-of-the-rack cabling workflow.

mfavila: You can, if you right-click on the source you can use the context menu to choose the destination :)
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

etyrnal

27 Mar 2017

mfavila wrote:At this point, I still love the cabling analogy, but I would love to select the connection from a drop down like in Ableton

Right-click a jack

mfavila

27 Mar 2017

etyrnal wrote:
mfavila wrote:At this point, I still love the cabling analogy, but I would love to select the connection from a drop down like in Ableton

Right-click a jack
Exactly

OverneathTheSkyBridg

27 Mar 2017

That can be quite a long menu though in a big project. Unless I'm missing something

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

fieldframe
RE Developer

02 Apr 2017

This is a great idea. I think the double-tap is really only necessary on the iPad, since you're scrolling with the same finger; on a Mac or PC, you're scrolling with a gesture instead and so you could probably just make it a single click. One click starts the cabling, one click connects, and you can click on something other than a jack to cancel.

AttenuationHz

04 Jun 2017

Posted a thread months ago about navigation by routing you can see the link in my signature ↓↓↓↓
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

joeyluck

15 Dec 2020

Bumping this because I think these features of improving the cabling experience will make the exploration or back panel routing more inviting for DAW and RRP users.

In terms of highlighting possible connections... currently a possible connection is highlighted in red only when you hover over it. Red has always seemed like a weird choice, because in my mind it tells me, "nope" lol, but of course I've gotten used to it over the years.

Can Reason just have all possible connections highlighted? And can it dim all of the connections not possible? There would be a 'possible connection' color and then there could still be the 'hover' color.

This of course would be very handy when also integrating the double-click to assign connections :)

guitfnky

15 Dec 2020

good call bumping this. I’d still like to have the ability to manually assign a color to the cables so I can see at a glance what’s going on in my session without constantly needing to double check the patch points to make sure I’m not about to screw something up.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

EdwardKiy

15 Dec 2020

joeyluck wrote:
15 Dec 2020
Bumping this because I think these features of improving the cabling experience will make the exploration or back panel routing more inviting for DAW and RRP users.
abuse of authority right here :o And all for naught without a fullscreen mode! :lol:

joeyluck

15 Dec 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
15 Dec 2020
joeyluck wrote:
15 Dec 2020
abuse of authority right here :o And all for naught without a fullscreen mode! :lol:
Come to macOS, we have fullscreen mode :P

Mike B

16 Dec 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:double press a source, scroll, double press a destination.
Reason should integrate this idea asap.

deeplink
Competition Winner

16 Dec 2020

Another cabling feature I can think of is for the rack mixers - where you could right click the 14:2 mixer > send all inputs to separate mix channels (main mixer)

I can see this working for say Kong or Redrum. Where you have a combi with Kong to separate 14:2 inputs. Load the Combinator, right click the 14:2 and send all channels to sperate mix channel.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

• Information