Tribute Wavetable Synthesizer by Speo Music now in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Despondo
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2020

When I first saw this RE, I was thinking this:

I have yet to try this out, but I agree a bit of finesse on the GUI would go a long way. Anyway, congrats on the new release!

Speo
RE Developer

14 Dec 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Hi again,

I noticed some undesired behaviour with Macro controls. If I set macro for "a/d" parameter and I am controlling cutoff by this envelope, the random cuts in the sound appear while messing with macro:

- This is the proper clean sound of direct "a/d" automation.

tribute-attack.mp3

- This has the cuts when macro control is automated

tribute-attack-macro-cuts.mp3

Source project here: tribute-attack-macro.zip
Thank you for reporting this and adding the source project. I will look into this asap.

hurricane
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2020

Not going to even try it because of the ugly GUI.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

PinkSlime

14 Dec 2020

Speo wrote:
14 Dec 2020
PinkSlime wrote:
14 Dec 2020
I really like the new synth. Soundwise and workflow wise the envelopes are very handy. I can also work with the mod window, once I got the hang of it. The only point that was a very minor setback was the workaround in order to have sustain. I honestly think that an optional sustain point on the envelope would be faster, more handy and would not occupy two envelopes and one mod slot to implement.

Overall I am really happy to have bought the synth as I can get fast results with snappy envelopes for bass and pluck sounds. I am glad it is not burdened with an FX chain and that the workflow is focused on the oscillation and filtering. Congratulations once more for this release!
Thanks for the reassurance that omitting an FX chain was the right call. Also great to hear that the envelopes are working for you! Point taken about the sustain. I do think it's a cool thing to be able to setup a loop shape that is sustained rather than only being able to sustain a constant value. But sustaining at a single point is not at all straight-forward right now, for sure.
I forgot to mention, the envelope on its own would be a damn fine utility device with gate/note in and maybe note/velocity sensitivity! :-) So easy to dial exactly the accent you want on a filter or volume/gate response

Electric-Metal

14 Dec 2020

hurricane wrote:
14 Dec 2020
You're definitely missing out.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

Auryn

14 Dec 2020

Electric-Metal wrote:
14 Dec 2020
hurricane wrote:
14 Dec 2020
You're definitely missing out.
I always find it amazing how with every RE release there's always a huge discussion about the GUI and everybody thinks that their idea of what is practical/user friendly/aesthetically pleasing is obviously the only right one.

Anyhow, thanks Speo for answering the question.
Maybe this might be the right time for an anecdote from electronic music history...

Long time ago me and my brother Speo here,
We was hitchhiking down a long and lonesome road.
All of a sudden,
There shined a shiny demon,
In the middle of the road,
And he said!
Play the best sound in the world, or I'll eat your souls...
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Loque

14 Dec 2020

Auryn wrote:
14 Dec 2020
I always find it amazing how with every RE release there's always a huge discussion about the GUI and everybody thinks that their idea of what is practical/user friendly/aesthetically pleasing is obviously the only right one.
That is how discussions work most of the time. Everybody thinks, that his/her opinion is the only right one. Right? :lol:
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2020

Loque wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Auryn wrote:
14 Dec 2020
That is how discussions work most of the time. Everybody thinks, that his/her opinion is the only right one. Right? :lol:
I didn't think that before...but now I think you might be right
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

14 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Loque wrote:
14 Dec 2020

I didn't think that before...but now I think you might be right
I agree with you too :lol:
Ok, now back on topci ;) :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

Auryn

14 Dec 2020

Loque wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Auryn wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Well, I'd make a distiction between discussions where there are actual facts and the question is more how to interpret them, and discussions like this one where what's being discussed is obviously down to subjective taste mostly. I find that with stuff like GUI's there's a lot of people that act like there is some objective standard that is being violated while I haven't really been able to discern one. Even with GUI's with a LONG development history like windows the tendency towards flat design seems more of a fashion/trend phenomenon, not some necessary improvement.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Loque

14 Dec 2020

Auryn wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Loque wrote:
14 Dec 2020

Well, I'd make a distiction between discussions where there are actual facts and the question is more how to interpret them, and discussions like this one where what's being discussed is obviously down to subjective taste mostly. I find that with stuff like GUI's there's a lot of people that act like there is some objective standard that is being violated while I haven't really been able to discern one. Even with GUI's with a LONG development history like windows the tendency towards flat design seems more of a fashion/trend phenomenon, not some necessary improvement.
I thought "fashion" decisions are for ever... :lol:
abba.jpg
abba.jpg (46.39 KiB) Viewed 3455 times

OK, ok, now i stop ;)
Reason12, Win10

zoidkirb

14 Dec 2020

Great sounding synth, and IMO the GUI is very nice, and I like the context/nested menus. Also I've got no trouble discerning which filter or filter type I'm currently on. Arrows to select next/previous and filter type would be appreciated though.

On the one hand I like the speed and simplicity of the envelope system but seriously perhaps just a more traditional ADSR setup would be preferable. It too took me ages to convince the envelopes to do a simple ramp up into a long sustain.

Overall I appreciate the stripped back nature of this thing, and the power with those 4 wave shaping knobs. It's great how much you can get done even with a simple saw/sine, before you even get to using extra wave tables.

hurricane
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2020

It's not about right vs wrong. It's merely an opinion. Nothing wrong with voicing an opinion.

Eggplant is gross, by the way.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2020

hurricane wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Hey I used to think brussel sprouts were gross until I learned to cook them properly :D

Have you ever tried pork without seasoning?

Majestik Monkey

14 Dec 2020

:thumbs_up: :o :o :o :puf_bigsmile:
[ Tribute ] Nice Job Speo :re: Sounds Phat as F*ck

Loque

15 Dec 2020

aeox wrote:
14 Dec 2020
hurricane wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Hey I used to think brussel sprouts were gross until I learned to cook them properly :D

Have you ever tried pork without seasoning?
True. My GF watched me when i served it to her with a face between disgusting and a wish to kill me. Than she tried it and loved it and loved me more 😂❤️
Reason12, Win10

Speo
RE Developer

15 Dec 2020

Thanks to everyone trying out Tribute, I really appreciate it!
zoidkirb wrote:
14 Dec 2020
Great sounding synth, and IMO the GUI is very nice, and I like the context/nested menus. Also I've got no trouble discerning which filter or filter type I'm currently on. Arrows to select next/previous and filter type would be appreciated though.

On the one hand I like the speed and simplicity of the envelope system but seriously perhaps just a more traditional ADSR setup would be preferable. It too took me ages to convince the envelopes to do a simple ramp up into a long sustain.

Overall I appreciate the stripped back nature of this thing, and the power with those 4 wave shaping knobs. It's great how much you can get done even with a simple saw/sine, before you even get to using extra wave tables.
An optional sustain on the envelopes (similar to Europa) will be part of the first big feature update. The filter arrows will arrive sooner! Really cool to hear you're getting mileage even out of the init table!

Melody303

15 Dec 2020

Hi Speo, I'd just like to congratulate you, both on the RE itself and the videos you've made for it. I got into this thread just curious about what's new in the RE world, and the videos have seriously converted me from a state where I thought I won't be buying any new synths in the future to lusting for this one. I love the oscillator section and the filters from what I've heard in the videos, and will be testing it out myself with the demo soon. And I'm glad to hear about the optional sustain and filter arrows coming soon (though I do love the idea dusan.cani drew and wrote about earlier in the thread.)

I do like the GUI, though I'm missing the familiarity of ADSR, but it's okay, I'll manage with your clever AD's and rich mod matrix.

Will the intro sale last till the end of the month?
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

Melody303

15 Dec 2020

Also, is there a chance for an audio input to process other sources with your filters?
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.

Speo
RE Developer

15 Dec 2020

Melody303 wrote:
15 Dec 2020
Also, is there a chance for an audio input to process other sources with your filters?
Hey thanks so much for the congrats and trying out the synth! The intro pricing lasts until 23 January so that anybody entering the contest is not at a disadvantage should they not walk away with a free license and still choose to purchase it after the contest is over.

An audio input for the filters will be added with the optional sustain in 1.1! No promises on when that will be ready though.

Melody303

15 Dec 2020

That last piece of news almost guarantees a contest entry from me to come, and likely a purchase if I won't be fortunate enough to win, thanks. :)

Speo
RE Developer

15 Dec 2020

Melody303 wrote:
15 Dec 2020
That last piece of news almost guarantees a contest entry from me to come, and likely a purchase if I won't be fortunate enough to win, thanks. :)
Thank you! Can't wait to hear what you come up with!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Dec 2020

I like that this looks like a smaller synth. It looks deceivingly simple. But you soon realize how much power is in this thing once you start playing around with it. I think that's one of this synth biggest strengths. It's not overwhelming to work with yet, there is so much you can do with it.
Love how the upper/main section is laid out. Very simple. But as someone mentioned already. Some basic, decay, sustain would be great.
The filter section is also very exciting. There's a lot to explore there.
Glad you didn't include an FX section. Keep the synth focused without extra clutter. Just add what's really necessary.

Stygian Abyss

16 Dec 2020

Congratulations to Speo, this is a very nice synth, even the controversial GUI design. ;)
I'd like to ask two questions.

The sine to saw sweep basic wavetable shown in the video looks a little bit like it was created using additive synthesis. Is it the case ? Has it been generated using Tribute itself like the other wavetables ?

Would it be possible to add a mix knob to the unison section to alter the volume ratios between the center and additional oscillators ?

Speo
RE Developer

17 Dec 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
16 Dec 2020
I like that this looks like a smaller synth.
Super happy to read this, it's exactly what I was going for!
Stygian Abyss wrote:
16 Dec 2020
The sine to saw sweep basic wavetable shown in the video looks a little bit like it was created using additive synthesis. Is it the case ? Has it been generated using Tribute itself like the other wavetables ?

Would it be possible to add a mix knob to the unison section to alter the volume ratios between the center and additional oscillators ?
Yes, the init wavetable crossfades between perfectly bandlimited saws of increasing bandwidth, so it's like stacking sines as in additive synthesis. It was not generated in Tribute, however there is a "Sine to Saw" table in the Basic wavetables in Tribute's resource folder that was. That one uses a LP96 upwards sweep to bring in the harmonics, so it's not perfect band limiting, but it's pretty close.

Unison blend is currently available via the mod matrix. There is a chapter in the manual on this. The idea is you can use the symmetric unison offsets of the subvoices as a mod matrix source and route it with a negative amount to the oscillator's level to make the detuned voices quieter. The symmetric unison offset is 1 for the lowest subvoice, 0 for the center subvoice (might not exist) and 1 for the highest subvoice. It's not super straight-forward, I might record a video on it (and the other techniques described in the manual), but it really only boils down to a single row in the mod matrix. I preferred that over breaking symmetry of the interactive elements on the osc gui. You can automate the unison blend by scaling the row with a macro.

• Information