Arturia V8 Released

Discuss VST stuff here!

hurricane
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2020

I had a feeling they would raise their upgrade prices.

Upgrade from V6 is $299 - yeah, no thanks I can wait till next BF.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Despondo
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2020

hurricane wrote:
08 Dec 2020
I had a feeling they would raise their upgrade prices.

Upgrade from V6 is $299 - yeah, no thanks I can wait till next BF.
Right. I already have V7 AND the OB-Xa V, and they want $149 from me.... $99 would seem more reasonable.

Despondo
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2020

Looks like they are using the same stock photo that String Audio used on their "Human" Omnisphere library:

String Audio - Human

Arturia V8 - Patchworks

Odd that I just happened to visit both websites today.

miscend

08 Dec 2020

Their servers are getting hammered at the moment.

Tiny Montgomery

08 Dec 2020

miscend wrote:
08 Dec 2020
Their servers are getting hammered at the moment.
Yep. I'll be waiting for a better upgrade price than 199 Euro.

There are version updates on a lot of the existing synths but cant get a connection.

fieldframe
RE Developer

08 Dec 2020

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
08 Dec 2020
There are version updates on a lot of the existing synths but cant get a connection.
It took something like 15 minutes for Arturia Software Center to connect for me, but it seems to be downloading the updates at a reasonable speed. The binaries must be on a CDN separate from their licensing server.

I'm still on V Collection 5, so it's really nice to see them continue to support everything that didn't get a major version bump! Not a fan of the new Adobe-style icon system, but at least you never see the icons in the usual plugin workflow.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2020

The new stuff here:

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Tiny Montgomery

08 Dec 2020

Analog Lab V

V 5.0.0

New features and improvements:

Global UI redesign

New Studio View with updated effects and routing

Updated Stage View layout

Added Library, Studio, Stage tabs to the toolbar to navigate between the views.

Concerts are now called Playlists for more consistency with V Collection Instruments

Sound Store is now integrated to the Library

Analog Lab now includes a selection of presets from all Arturia instruments, including Pigments and new V Collection 8 instruments.

Added an Edit button in the Preset Info to open the Full Instrument view

Added a Replace button in the Preset Info to replace a Part

Added 3 buttons to the bottom toolbar to open the Keyboard, the Controls or the Keyboard Settings (Multi only)

Looks like this is a free update...? Its downloading anyway.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2020

Looks like Analog Lab 4 users get the AL 5. To be used side by side as AL4 has 6500+ presets and AL5 around 2000 presets (I think).

And it looks like they are no longer doing the "all presets for new synths" in AL5 as they used to do when AL4 came out, but stopped doing around the time Pigments came out.
My understanding is AL5 will work side by side with AL4 so you do not loose anything. Still nice to get a reduced amount of presets for Ob, EII, and so on.

I will know better once my AL5 download finished, but it is going at 25kb/s... Guess I'm not alone updating :o

fieldframe
RE Developer

08 Dec 2020

Boombastix wrote:
08 Dec 2020
And it looks like they are no longer doing the "all presets for new synths" in AL5 as they used to do when AL4 came out, but stopped doing around the time Pigments came out.
It may also be down to how many versions back you are. When V Collection 6 came out, I got all the presets from the new synths as a V Collection 5 owner, but when V Collection 7 came out (and I was still on 5), I only got a handful of the new presets.

Loque

08 Dec 2020

300 for such a boring upgrade? Without me.

Not enough with the crap sale strategy with the fx collection as excluded from the V collection, now they charge more for the update than i payed for the full package
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2020

Pass once again. The only one I might have been interested in was the Juno. I’ve already got U-no-LX so all good here.
Last edited by MrFigg on 09 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jackjackdaw

09 Dec 2020

Boombastix wrote:
08 Dec 2020
The new stuff here:

Did that guy colour in the zero on his t-shirt with marker because he has a 6 not a 60? :lol:

Tiny Montgomery

09 Dec 2020

Boombastix wrote:
08 Dec 2020
Looks like Analog Lab 4 users get the AL 5. To be used side by side as AL4 has 6500+ presets and AL5 around 2000 presets (I think).

My understanding is AL5 will work side by side with AL4 so you do not loose anything. Still nice to get a reduced amount of presets for Ob, EII, and so on.

I will know better once my AL5 download finished, but it is going at 25kb/s... Guess I'm not alone updating :o
My Analog Lab 5 works but in the Lab section of the ASC its saying "Not all products are activated" despite both Labs working normally in both standalone and VST. If I click 'Reactivate' it doesn't fix the message but other stuff downloading so maybe it will all update later.

tallguy

09 Dec 2020

I quite like the Jupiter V3 in Collection 6 but am aware it sounds a bit flat. If the new sound engine in the Jupiter V4 makes it sound better, that would be nice. But not $299 worth of nice.

raymondh

09 Dec 2020

tallguy wrote:
09 Dec 2020
I quite like the Jupiter V3 in Collection 6 but am aware it sounds a bit flat. If the new sound engine in the Jupiter V4 makes it sound better, that would be nice. But not $299 worth of nice.
I agree.
I really like the presentation of the Arturia synths and the range.
But I find myself reaching for "The Legend" rather than The Minimoog V, Repro-5 rather than Prophet-V, and Diva rather than Jupiter-8 (even though Diva isn't a J8 emulation). The Arturia synths are very well implemented but they just don't sound as alive/organic/3-dimensional as some other emulations.
The Roland System-8 / Cloud J8 /Boutique JP-08 is really good, so definitely know it's possible!

Exciting though they have introduced the Emulator II here! Will be interesting to see any reviews, especially whether they implemented the sound of the DAC well.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy the Emulator samples in Bitley's WBF. :)

bitley

09 Dec 2020

raymondh wrote:
09 Dec 2020
<3

Italophile

09 Dec 2020

raymondh wrote:
09 Dec 2020
Exciting though they have introduced the Emulator II here! Will be interesting to see any reviews, especially whether they implemented the sound of the DAC well.

TAL Sampler would also be a good option.

fieldframe
RE Developer

09 Dec 2020

fieldframe wrote:
08 Dec 2020
Boombastix wrote:
08 Dec 2020
It may also be down to how many versions back you are. When V Collection 6 came out, I got all the presets from the new synths as a V Collection 5 owner, but when V Collection 7 came out (and I was still on 5), I only got a handful of the new presets.
I figured it out. V Collection 4 was basically "all the presets from the V Collection," which they continued doing through V Collection 6, but Arturia must have decided it was getting too big for the price point (since you can buy Analog Lab standalone for $99) and so they only added ~20 presets for each of the new instruments in V Collection 7.

Analog Lab 5 (or Analog Lab V as they are styling it, which is confusing because "V" means "5" here, while it means "virtual" in the collection, but I digress) is in effect a rebalancing. It no longer includes all the presets for the older instruments (unless you own the individual plugins), but it compensates by adding more from the newer instruments. So instead of only 20 presets for something like the Synthi or the Buchla, you get over 100 for each.

Considering I haven't bought anything from Arturia since 2017, it's rather generous of them to give this to customers with older versions!

Lotuz2019

09 Dec 2020

Italophile wrote:
09 Dec 2020
raymondh wrote:
09 Dec 2020

TAL Sampler would also be a good option.
:thumbup: The TAL Sampler Emu II DAC and the Emulator II V DAC sound very similar as expected, but you can tweak the TAL Sampler ADC/DAC if you want. The Emulator II V only has a Vintage and a Modern DAC to choose from.

Jackjackdaw

09 Dec 2020

I'm really disappointed with the new ui for the library menus. It was so efficient before. Tons of dead space and massive icons on separate pages now.

I did a quick comparison between jup 8 v3 and v4. V4 is softer sounding and the presets are perhaps more heavily effected. I got a similar sound from v3 by scooping the mids, rolling off the treble and adding some preamp gain.

I'm pretty cheesed off about the menus...

tallguy

09 Dec 2020

raymondh wrote:
09 Dec 2020

I agree.
I really like the presentation of the Arturia synths and the range.
But I find myself reaching for "The Legend" rather than The Minimoog V, Repro-5 rather than Prophet-V, and Diva rather than Jupiter-8 (even though Diva isn't a J8 emulation). The Arturia synths are very well implemented but they just don't sound as alive/organic/3-dimensional as some other emulations.
The Roland System-8 / Cloud J8 /Boutique JP-08 is really good, so definitely know it's possible!
Well, U-He Repro is the gold standard.

In Arturia's defense, they are willing to go back to older synths and update them with better sound engines. Not many soft synth manufacturers do that. Credit where it's due.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2020

fieldframe wrote:
09 Dec 2020
Considering I haven't bought anything from Arturia since 2017, it's rather generous of them to give this to customers with older versions!
Very nice. 99 presets just for the Ob-Xa, 50 to 70 each for the other new ones. The 8 edit knobs in Labs 5 are still wonky as hell. I guess they still do not direct the preset makers well enough to get consistency across patches or even usefulness out of some knobs, but heck, free as in FREE :lol: I'll take it. Wide shoulders all they way with these sounds :o

The Juno 6 emulation sounds good enough, I guess Arturia is finally getting better at the VAs, not as good as the top guys, but good enough to be very usable.
AND they updated an older VST synth engine - - - RS are you listening? :geek:

Pro tip: Old analog synths best friend is an EQ. (Chorus a close second but y'all knew that already...)

fieldframe
RE Developer

09 Dec 2020

Boombastix wrote:
09 Dec 2020
The Juno 6 emulation sounds good enough, I guess Arturia is finally getting better at the VAs, not as good as the top guys, but good enough to be very usable.
Have you seen the Jef Gibbons video where he compares some Arturia patches with the Juno-6 he happens to have in the studio? It’s not an exhaustive test by any means but it is impressive!

• Information