Super cheap mixer on Amazon, does it suck?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
PhillipOrdonez

05 Dec 2020

Anyone here tried one of these? 24 bucks, 4 channel mixer... Must suck, right? I'm in need of a small mixer, don't know what to do ๐Ÿ˜‚

iamthor4

05 Dec 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote: โ†‘
05 Dec 2020
Anyone here tried one of these? 24 bucks, 4 channel mixer... Must suck, right? I'm in need of a small mixer, don't know what to do ๐Ÿ˜‚

i got a moukey audio interface it wasnt the worst but was so noisey i got rid of it and got a focusrite solo

iamthor4

05 Dec 2020

some guy recommmended it he didnt know what he was on about it was shit , i would spend a bit more pal or try it send it back if u dont like it , amazon return anything

sdst
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2020

this is very good, I've been using one for years
Behringer XENYX 302 USB

enossified

05 Dec 2020

I won't say it sucks without hearing it, but this type of mixer has been around for decades. Don't let the USB cable in the picture fool you, that's just for power. It's not an audio interface, if that's what you're thinking.

Here is an ART mixer that actually works OK and it's 100% passive, no power needed. It can also be used in the reverse direction as a splitter and some other configurations like a pair of 2:1 mixers. I have one I used for splitting/mixing CVs for a small modular synth :thumbup:

iamthor4

05 Dec 2020

enossified wrote: โ†‘
05 Dec 2020
I won't say it sucks without hearing it, but this type of mixer has been around for decades. Don't let the USB cable in the picture fool you, that's just for power. It's not an audio interface, if that's what you're thinking.

Here is an ART mixer that actually works OK and it's 100% passive, no power needed. It can also be used in the reverse direction as a splitter and some other configurations like a pair of 2:1 mixers. I have one I used for splitting/mixing CVs for a small modular synth :thumbup:
i would say just try it if its crap amazon are good u can back it asap

PhillipOrdonez

05 Dec 2020

05 Dec 2020

That looks great and perfect as it is also a splitter! No power is just the cherry on top. Plus it looks exactly the same as my ultra cheap patch bay from the same brand ๐Ÿ˜‚

Thank you ๐Ÿค— and thanks to all for the suggestions.

iamthor4

06 Dec 2020

05 Dec 2020

probably is an audio interface isnt it but one of those crappy jobs that records everything on one channel i bought an alesis multimix 4 once thought i could use that as my main audio interface what a pile of shit , it overdubs everything over what you have done already im not explaining it good buts its all one stero mix avoid dont get alesis multimix usb in fact i wouldnt have a cheap mixer as an audio interface , maybe more expensive ones may be better

enossified

06 Dec 2020

iamthor4 wrote: โ†‘
06 Dec 2020
probably is an audio interface isnt it
It is definitely NOT an audio interface. Even Behringer couldn't make such a product for that price :D

That sort of ultra simple mixer used to be sold in electronics stores here in the US at least as far back as the early 1960s. I also recall seeing schematics for them in electronic hobbyist DIY magazines. It sums the inputs passively into a simple buffer stage output (a single transistor or opamp). Places like Radio Shack sold them for about $5 in mono versions and $10 for stereo. They ran on a 9V battery, this one uses USB for power only. They give you the cable but not the phone charger power supply :?

PhillipOrdonez

06 Dec 2020

sdst wrote: โ†‘
05 Dec 2020
Behringer XENYX 302 USB
Phantom power... I'm thinking this might be a good choice because of it. My old Roland interface has it but is not supported for w10 and my new ones don't have phantom power... It does not send audio to the computer over usb, does it? I would need to hook it to my interface (which is fine, I was planning to do that when I thought of getting the cheap mixer) right? If I'm reading correctly...

sdst
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2020

06 Dec 2020
Phantom power...
the one with Phantom power is this
Xenyx 502

very cheap,

just check those Behringer and see which one you like

PhillipOrdonez

06 Dec 2020

06 Dec 2020
06 Dec 2020
Phantom power...
the one with Phantom power is this
Xenyx 502

very cheap,

just check those Behringer and see which one you like

Strange, look at this one, 302 with phantom power

sdst
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2020

06 Dec 2020

edit. wtf yes they have phantom power. after 6 years I find out, I thought only the other version had it

I never read the manual.

Creativemind

06 Dec 2020

05 Dec 2020
Behringer XENYX 302 USB
I've got the (I think) 1 up from that, Behringer Q502 USB Mixer / Audio Interface. Does the job. Works and was only about ยฃ45 when I bought it 8 years ago.

That reminds me, someone said on a different forum, a mixer (talking about an analog mixing console here) before we did everything in the box / computer would add colour to the sound, will my Q502 do that running a synthesizer or drum machine through it?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

PhillipOrdonez

06 Dec 2020

06 Dec 2020
06 Dec 2020

edit. wtf yes they have phantom power. after 6 years I find out, I thought only the other version had it

I never read the manual.
Lol

Unfortunately, I just read that the other one the 5 something, its phantom power is only 15v and not 48v ๐Ÿ˜ž

PhillipOrdonez

06 Dec 2020

Creativemind wrote: โ†‘
06 Dec 2020
05 Dec 2020
Behringer XENYX 302 USB
I've got the (I think) 1 up from that, Behringer Q502 USB Mixer / Audio Interface. Does the job. Works and was only about ยฃ45 when I bought it 8 years ago.

That reminds me, someone said on a different forum, a mixer (talking about an analog mixing console here) before we did everything in the box / computer would add colour to the sound, will my Q502 do that running a synthesizer or drum machine through it?
Yes It would, though if the colour is good or not, depends on the unit... Since you have it, why don't you try over driving it and see how it distorts and if that is something you are into?

iamthor4

06 Dec 2020

you know what i havent had a mixer of any of these but i had a cheap moukey and a cheap behringer interface and they were around the same

DaveyG

06 Dec 2020

I love those small Behringer mixers and I own no less than three but be sure to check the spec of the phantom power before you buy. It's fine with most budget and mid-range capacitor mics but it will not properly drive some high-end mics and some of the more esoteric mics. Of course, if you are spending a four figure sum on a mic you should probably be buying an expensive preamp and power supply to go with it. It's not a problem unique to Behringer either. Many of the cheaper mixers and audio interfaces do not supply "full spec" phantom power.

PhillipOrdonez

06 Dec 2020

05 Dec 2020

Still think this one is winning. No power, works as a splitter which could potentially be used as sends for effects or other routings... And can use it for CV as well, I guess with 1/8 to 1/4 TS cables? How do you do the pair of 2:1 mixes thingy? It's got only one TRS stereo output and no panning, do tell me how! ๐Ÿ˜€

iamthor4

06 Dec 2020

06 Dec 2020
05 Dec 2020

Still think this one is winning. No power, works as a splitter which could potentially be used as sends for effects or other routings... And can use it for CV as well, I guess with 1/8 to 1/4 TS cables? How do you do the pair of 2:1 mixes thingy? It's got only one TRS stereo output and no panning, do tell me how! ๐Ÿ˜€
art are quality mate ive had a couple pre amps and got my daughter phono amp for her record player, gonna be better than behringer

PhillipOrdonez

12 Dec 2020

05 Dec 2020

Hey, can this unit mix and split at the same time or is it a either or kinda device? I've ordered it already just wondering ๐Ÿ˜€

Billy+

13 Dec 2020

I think I was looking at one a these but the phantom power was a bit iffy so didn't buy it in the end, I can't remember where I found the information but once I saw it wasn't necessarily going to work I decided against it. I think it was something to do with the power supply to the unit itself.

enossified

13 Dec 2020

The ART SPLITMix 4 manual has diagrams that show these 9 possible routing options.
Application Chart Descriptions
Figure 1. Traditional 4-in 1-out mixer with separate level
control for each channel.
Figure 2. 1-in 4-out โ€œdistribution mixerโ€ configuration, where each output channel can control different audio zones.
Figure 3. Ch3 and 4 mix 2 sources into 1 output, while Ch1 and 2 provide 2 outputs from the splitter input source.
Figure 4. Ch2, 3, and 4 mix 3 sources into 1 output, while Ch1 input passes thru level control to Ch1 output.
Figure 5. Splitter input feeds Ch2, 3, and 4 outputs, while Ch1 input passes thru level control to Ch1 output.
Figure 6. Ch3 and 4 sources are mixed and fed to external processor. Processor output is then split to Ch1 and 2 outputs.
Figure 7. Ch3 and 4 mix 2 sources into 1 output, while Ch1 and 2 inputs feed Ch1 and 2 outputs with independent level controls.
Figure 8. Splitter input feeds Ch3 and 4 outputs, while Ch1 and 2 inputs feed Ch1 and 2 outputs with independent level controls.
Figure 9. 4 independent signal sources feed 4 independent outputs with separate level controls on each channel.
Last edited by enossified on 13 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipOrdonez

13 Dec 2020

Cheers Enossified. What a flexible and useful unit.

Does it treat CV the same way as audio as you described earlier for using with modular? Just with a TS mini Jack to 1/4 TS cable?

enossified

05 Jan 2021

13 Dec 2020
Does it treat CV the same way as audio as you described earlier for using with modular? Just with a TS mini Jack to 1/4 TS cable?
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, even though all the jacks are TRS for stereo audio (it's really an 8 channel mixer with 4 stereo channels) I used TS 1/4" to 1/8" adapters. Keep in mind it is passive so there is some signal loss...not a good idea to use it with pitch CV, tracking will be thrown off. Otherwise it works fine for both audio and CV.

• Information