Where to Start

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dledhead

04 Dec 2020

I'm a photographer not an audio guy. Just downloaded Reason 11. Where to even begin!

So, can some folks direct me to some locations to for the rawest of beginners!?

Thank you,
Dan

Loque

04 Dec 2020

Try the "Tutorials" in the tutorials window
Read the manual, its really good.
Check out Reason101 and "Props tutorial series returns" viewforum.php?f=5
Give you some time, relax, try and play around. Come here to ask your questions, but first try to "find" something in the forum before you ask and post.
Reason12, Win10

Billy+

04 Dec 2020

dledhead wrote:
04 Dec 2020
I'm a photographer not an audio guy. Just downloaded Reason 11. Where to even begin!

Thank you,
Dan
Try the manual & https://m.youtube.com/user/PropellerheadSW

---- edit -----

You might also enjoy watching Adam.
https://m.twitch.tv/adfielding/profile
Last edited by Billy+ on 04 Dec 2020, edited 2 times in total.

iamthor4

04 Dec 2020

the reason studios sites on youtube gives u good starting points on certain things
plus the manual its hard in the beginning bro the manual and youtube will help you
and it has some basic tutorials built in

guitfnky

04 Dec 2020

what specifically are you looking to do with Reason? do you have a particular type of music you want to create?

even though the manual is excellent (honestly, the best I’ve come across so far), it’s HUGE, and not everything in it will be relevant for everyone, so knowing what you’re interested in will go a long way toward getting you pointed in the right direction.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

bxbrkrz

04 Dec 2020

dledhead wrote:
04 Dec 2020

Thank you,
Dan
If you know absolutely nothing about audio I'd suggest to watch a couple of videos of real world all analog recording studios first. Reason wants to virtually recreate a "familiar" setting with patch cables, outboard gear, mixing console, etc. I randomly picked up that playlist. I didn't watch it myself but this is an excellent channel. Then when reading the manual, or watching Reason focused videos, you'll be familiar with the basics, terminology, and so forth.

How to Record - Lesson 1: Basics of Sound - Warren Huart: Produce Like A Pro

757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

antic604

04 Dec 2020

This is the best DAW tutorial I ever saw and it happens to be for Reason (still 10, but 99% applies in 11):

https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Reason-10-Explained

For $15 you can access it - and lots of other tutorials - for a month, or for $35 you can "own" it forever for download.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

visheshl

04 Dec 2020

don't start sell reason
Edit - i was just kidding
Last edited by visheshl on 04 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

visheshl

04 Dec 2020

its a rabbit hole...you don't want to go down it....similarly im an electronic musician and i shouldn't want to go down the rabbit hole of photography...one rabbit hole is enough in a lifetime

bxbrkrz

04 Dec 2020

:lol: :lol:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

visheshl

04 Dec 2020

i still want to help you out, i will tell you the basics of synthesis so the you don't have to go anywhere else, however if this doesn't make sense...then understand that this is just a primer...

I'll still give you a low down on whats going on in sound synthesis.
so basically you load up a simple wave form. like a sine wave, a triangle wave, a square wave etc. a very simple wave. you can do this in reason on all synths. the best would be subtractor for beginners.

so in a nutshell you start with a simple waveform and then you do things like filtering to it . you csn tgen add effects (fx) to the sound like distortion, delay etc
load up a subtractor. right click and initialise patch.

an oscillator is something that generates a waveform when you hit a note on your keyboard.

then you use something called an envelope to control the timing of that waveform. example does the note play as long as you're pressing the key on your keyboard or does it decay soon or slowly. these things are controlled with the attack decay sustain release parameters of something called an amplitude envelope. experiment with adsr, you'll get an idea what it does.
so thing one load up a subtactor on reason. initialise the patch. scroll thru the waveforms on oscillator 1(subtrsctor has 2 oscillators which generate waveforms). now experiment with how the amplitude envelope affects the sound.
how different values of adsr shape the sound.
attack means how slowly the sound will rise to full amplitude when you hit a key.
decay means how fast the sound will go to sustain level. sustain means when you hold the key which level will the sound sustain on....zero sustain means it will die out. full sustain means it will stay at the level specified by the decsy parameter. it will remain there. release means that higher release time means that sound will die out late after you have released the key.

like you pluck a guitar string and sound dies out sometime after.

then there's filters, they filter out frequencies of sound above or below the specified range.
a low pass filter will let the lower frequencies below the specified frequency pass, a hipass filter is opposite, it will block lower frequencies below the specified limit.
these are the basics of synthesis. rabbit hole goes way deeper. but this should get you started in understanding synthesis of sound.

kindly ignore the typos as my phone's autocorrect has a mind of its own and also i dont have the will to fight autocorrect right now.

if you want to start learning reason, load up reason, load up subtractor, start going thru simple waveforms of osc 1, use amplitude envople to shspe the sound, combile it with wavs of oscillator 2, use filters, see what these components do to the basic waveforms generated by the oscillators.
Last edited by visheshl on 04 Dec 2020, edited 2 times in total.

Reasonable man

04 Dec 2020

I was dledhead four years ago ;)
Reason still has the ability to overwhelm me. Godam it....... computers still overwhelm me :mrgreen:

Watch the tutorials mentioned in the thread, We live in dystopian times now where everything is shut down but hopefully everything will slowly start to open up again and if you need to gaet away from people to learn a new software program ....go to internet cafes with your laptop (if you use one) and read Reasonexperts.com and watch reasonexperts youtube tutorials on repeat.....thats what i did.

Good luck

selig
RE Developer

04 Dec 2020

Some basics that translate from photography: Your lenses are like our microphones - folks don't sell those, we just update the bodies/DAWs from time to time. There are pixel peepers in audio, just like with photography, and that's another rabbit hole you can get lost in if you're not careful IMO! The best results come from the best sources - getting the shot "in camera" is similar to getting the "take" in the studio, in that the better the original source material, the easier to make it work in the end product. The less processing you need to do, typically the better the results and the more fun. But also, sometimes you need to process an image/sound to within an inch of it's life to get the desired results, and knowing when to do this and when not to do this is as important in photography as in audio/music. In both, disciplines there are rules AND there are no rules - you decide where to draw the line. Post production is similar in both lines of work, color correction is similar to mastering, compositing is similar to mixing/remixing, plugins are used/over used in both worlds - and there are a lot of shortcuts available that work for some and totally don't work for others.
Role definitions: The engineer is like the camera person (or DP in the film world), the producer is like the art director/director, the artist is like the subject/actor - sometimes one person plays all of these roles, sometimes it's split traditionally, sometimes it's none of the above.

Finally, genres can suck but they can also be great places to start. What kind of photography do you do: street, fashion, nature, birds, architectural, landscape, or some combo? Maybe try to find the music genres that most interest you and start there - like with photography, while the basic tools are the same, the approaches can be very different. Suggestions that work for one discipline may/may not work for another. Even the gear used can be radically different. A studio portrait photographer can use very different tools/techniques than a birder, just like an EDM producer can use a very different set of tools/techniques than a singer/songwriter.
I'm sure there are even more parallels, not sure if this helps you or not - happy to elaborate further if this is helping!
(my background is life long musician/engineer as well as a photography hobbyist, starting with a darkroom class in high school!).
Selig Audio, LLC

iamthor4

04 Dec 2020

visheshl wrote:
04 Dec 2020
don't start sell reason
your telling him to sell reason ?

bro come on
everyone starts somewhere and its quite possible to have two dreams and two
hobbies and succeed and the beauty of both is he can make music to go with moving pictures .

you said your thinking of giving up yourself
but the ones who really enjoy it carry on

so dont give up but dont tell this guy to give up 😂

thats like telling a young football player dont kick that ball youll never play for united .

how do you know

sorry i dunno if you meant too but you have came off negative in your messages bud
encourage is the game
dont let your own negative thoughts feed others - we are all the same but different.

peace and love

adfielding

04 Dec 2020

First up - welcome to Reason! You're in for an absolute treat - there's a LOT to dive into (and dive in you should!). Put your expectations to one side before you get going. Everybody's first tune sucks, just have fun with the process for now.

Start with the simpler devices - if you've never used a synth before, don't dive straight into Thor or Europa. Subtractor is the perfect synth to teach you how subtractive synthesis works - it's clearly laid out, and if my memory serves the manual chapter gives a fantastic explanation into how subtractive synthesis works. Most of the principles you learn with Subtractor can be applied to pretty much any other synth you use - what an oscillator is, how filters work, envelopes, modulation, all that fun stuff. Everything is laid out in front of you, it isn't hidden behind any panels, just play around with it and read up on how subtractive synthesis works.

Similarly, if you've never used a sampler before I'd suggest doing a little reading on how time-based sampling works and using NN-19 with a combination of a simple external audio editor like Audacity or Oceanaudio - you'll probably learn more from messing about with audio in a separate environment than you will by playing around with it in Reason, and it's always fun to just mess around. The NN-19 is a super simple sample-player, and once you get acquainted with that then I'd suggest dipping into either the NN-XT or Grain.

From there you can probably dip into Malstrom (which, again, is a one-control-per-function device like Subtractor), and once you've got a handle on playing with synths you can dip into Europa & Thor, both of which feature panels and modulation matrices. There's always going to be a temptation to dip into the cool "modern" devices, but I reckon starting with the older/simpler devices to get a good foundational understanding of how the basics work is the way to go.

In any case, take this all with a pinch of salt and go where your enjoyment takes you :)

pushedbutton

04 Dec 2020

Just reiterating what others have said, look at Reason as a set of artists tools and play around with stuff until you get it.
I guarantee you'll make a lot of crap music before you make something you're happy with but the little sparks of genius you stumble across now and again eventually build up and develop into your own style.
I'm tempted to do a stream about getting started one evening, maybe this time next monday. I'll go through setting up reason so you're working through a checklist until you're confident enough to take the waterwings off. If you're interested I'll share the link as the time approaches.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Billy+

04 Dec 2020

pushedbutton wrote:
04 Dec 2020
Just reiterating what others have said, look at Reason as a set of artists tools and play around with stuff until you get it.
I guarantee you'll make a lot of crap music before you make something you're happy with but the little sparks of genius you stumble across now and again eventually build up and develop into your own style.
I'm tempted to do a stream about getting started one evening, maybe this time next monday. I'll go through setting up reason so you're working through a checklist until you're confident enough to take the waterwings off. If you're interested I'll share the link as the time approaches.
Sounds interesting "a stream" probably wouldn't spend to much time on setting up Reason. Would you be doing the stream on twitch? Drop the channel ID and I will follow.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Dec 2020

Instead of spending too much time trying learning about everything. Just dive in, write a tune. Use presets (sounds that comes with the synths/instruments) and just play around and have fun.
I'd rather learn as I go along, bit by bit instead of going hardcore trying to learn every detail of every device. Just mess around, tweak some knobs and see what happens. Maybe read a few lines in the Reason manual if you wonder about something specific.
That's the way I've done it. But we're all different. Some people love to really get to know their devices inside and out. If you have the patience for that than that's one way to do it. But if you just want to get started making tracks, just get in there and don't worry about all stuff.

So I guess it all depends on what kind of person you are and what your main goal is.
But for, me if I just bought a camera and wanted to take up photography as hobby, I would start with just going out for a few weeks and take a bunch of random pictures, just to have fun with it. And later on read up and learn as I go, bit by bit.

teddymcw

04 Dec 2020

Wow! I have little direct input but rather wanted to say that what a response from some very intelligent beings (and quite esteemed individuals) here on ReasonTalk. This really is regularly a very special place, and at the very least should demonstrate an overwhelmingly enthusiasm for playing with the new audio software at your disposal.

I might echo what TritoneAddiction said above, except to even shorten a beginner goal - just make a few bars (10 seconds or so long loop) of sound, not even necessarily music, perhaps something that would compliment one of your most inspirational photos.

Always, always have fun and bask in the overwhelming feeling of infinite possibilities while taking joy in creating a well defined piece of sound. At least that's what I'm trying to tell myself! :) Cheers

EnochLight

04 Dec 2020

dledhead wrote:
04 Dec 2020

Thank you,
Dan
Hi Dan,

Welcome to the Reasontalk forums! There is a veritable gold mine of Reason tutorial videos on YouTube, so what exactly do you want to know? You're going to get a million different answers here in this thread unless you're a bit more specific... :o :shock: :? :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Tiny Montgomery

05 Dec 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Dec 2020
Instead of spending too much time trying learning about everything. Just dive in, write a tune. Use presets (sounds that comes with the synths/instruments) and just play around and have fun.
I'd rather learn as I go along, bit by bit instead of going hardcore trying to learn every detail of every device. Just mess around, tweak some knobs and see what happens. Maybe read a few lines in the Reason manual if you wonder about something specific.
That's the way I've done it. But we're all different. Some people love to really get to know their devices inside and out. If you have the patience for that than that's one way to do it. But if you just want to get started making tracks, just get in there and don't worry about all stuff.

So I guess it all depends on what kind of person you are and what your main goal is.
But for, me if I just bought a camera and wanted to take up photography as hobby, I would start with just going out for a few weeks and take a bunch of random pictures, just to have fun with it. And later on read up and learn as I go, bit by bit.
This is it.

The idea that a new user should start with basic synthesis rather than just dive in and have fun is a bit absurd lads. He absolutely should not be avoiding devices until he learns the basic ones. Most people do not make their sounds completely from scratch.

There's so much content to dive in and explore. Get a kick and snare going. Chuck a Dr Rex percussion loop on it. Find a nice bass preset then some keys and a pad.

Watch this.

Stamatz

05 Dec 2020

I used this tutorial while learning Reason and have booked mark them in the browser.
https://www.musictech.net/the-ultimate-guide-to-reason/

The other great videos are from Ryan, Ryan's Super Neat Beat Cheat Sheet Youtube videos

Ryan's video's are great! Learn, enjoy making music and learning new things.
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

EdGrip

05 Dec 2020

The manual's good, make a start on that - and just start playing with the software and trying to make it do stuff. The videos suggested in this thread are all good.
If you get stuck on a particular point, this forum will help you get your head round it. (Took me a while to understand the way rack devices and the sequencer were connected, oddly enough)

pushedbutton

05 Dec 2020

Billy wrote:
04 Dec 2020

Sounds interesting "a stream" probably wouldn't spend to much time on setting up Reason. Would you be doing the stream on twitch? Drop the channel ID and I will follow.
When I say setting up, I mean establishing a template and a process. Maybe even using blocks for a song structure. There's nothing worse than a blank canvas for getting started.
I'll drop a link on Monday.
Last edited by pushedbutton on 06 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

dledhead

06 Dec 2020

Thank you all very much.

I will begin my journey with your suggestions and check back in maybe a week.

At the very basic level, I want to play and record a simple song on the Impact LX61, a simple tune using a piano feature, and adding from there.

Again, thank you.

Dan

• Information