Full screen mode please

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
EdwardKiy

28 Nov 2020

the cntrl+F11 experience. Please. A good 20% of the screen real estate is wasted at the top. A real shame. Also, every time I start Reason, all the windows are minimized and not where I left them. Annoying.

deigm

04 Dec 2020

I would also appreciate this

Billy+

04 Dec 2020

I'm not sure what you mean, I'm running Reason 11 on a Mac and I get full screen top to bottom without any thing other than Reason visible i.e. Full screen?

EdwardKiy

04 Dec 2020

notfullscreen.JPG
notfullscreen.JPG (525.86 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
Last edited by EdwardKiy on 05 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

EdwardKiy

04 Dec 2020

fullscreen.JPG
fullscreen.JPG (264.37 KiB) Viewed 3385 times

Billy+

04 Dec 2020

Ah that makes a bit more sense, but I would say that Live looks like it's waisting more space with all that emptiness. The menu and top in reason does look quite a lot bigger under windows by comparison to Mac but it is useful information.

How would you rather it?

Billy+

04 Dec 2020

This is nearly full screen,
IMG_2336.PNG
IMG_2336.PNG (584.98 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
There is another fuller view that remove the mac top menu, but I really use it.

EdwardKiy

04 Dec 2020

Billy wrote:
04 Dec 2020
Ah that makes a bit more sense, but I would say that Live looks like it's waisting more space with all that emptiness. The menu and top in reason does look quite a lot bigger under windows by comparison to Mac but it is useful information.

How would you rather it?
Live is hideous like a prison tattoo on a sagging breast and is beyond our help. However, I would very much like Full Screen for Reason. That white stripe at the top looks like a Windows95 gimmick on dialysis. With a darker colour theme, especially if you're sitting through the night with low lighting, it becomes a distraction. If you make that "disablable", that and the bars for Browser, Mixer, Rack and Sequencer while you're at it, suddenly you have something in the ballpark of 20-25%? of screen real estate freed up in a much less cluttered GUI.

Billy+

04 Dec 2020

Honestly I don't know that I would change anything other than removing the tutorial section or as I have previously suggested making it an in app shop.

EdwardKiy

04 Dec 2020

tutorial section is removelable under "Options" --> "Always show Tutorial Area".

In this exact same way I would like to be able to disable other stuff.

Billy+

04 Dec 2020

I know it's removable, I just think it could be more functional.

I also understand that once setup the transport bar becomes redundant for the most part.

As for the massive title bar under windows I can see why you would question it, but I really wouldn't change the layout under OSX, and like I said I can reclaim that top 30 pixels but never do lol.

moggadeet

04 Dec 2020

Live is hideous like a prison tattoo on a sagging breast and is beyond our help. However, I would very much like Full Screen for Reason. That white stripe at the top looks like a Windows95 gimmick on dialysis. With a darker colour theme, especially if you're sitting through the night with low lighting, it becomes a distraction. If you make that "disablable", that and the bars for Browser, Mixer, Rack and Sequencer while you're at it, suddenly you have something in the ballpark of 20-25%? of screen real estate freed up in a much less cluttered GUI.
Makes sense, never thought of that.

guitfnky

04 Dec 2020

that’s nowhere near 20%, but it’s still a good point.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

mcatalao
Competition Winner

04 Dec 2020

If you work with the 3 windows separated, you get more space because the 3 horizontal window gigantic buttons are gone. So, detach the windows and get that out of your way. Also you can already remove the transport from any window so, you can choose the one it appears.
sequencer fullscreen.JPG
sequencer fullscreen.JPG (139.66 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
I do agree the menu bar could have a unpinned mode and the transport could be a little thinner.
Last edited by mcatalao on 04 Dec 2020, edited 5 times in total.

Billy+

04 Dec 2020

I still think Reason wins hands down for its layout and look.

I don't think I could spend any time looking at Live's interface, it's ugly clunky an completely uninspiring

selig
RE Developer

04 Dec 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
04 Dec 2020
notfullscreen.JPG
Enter full screen mode and hide transport - is this note exactly what you're asking for?
Selig Audio, LLC

EdwardKiy

04 Dec 2020

guitfnky wrote:
04 Dec 2020
that’s nowhere near 20%, but it’s still a good point.
notfullscreen.JPG
notfullscreen.JPG (525.86 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
mcatalao wrote:
04 Dec 2020
so, you can choose the one it appears.
that's the second part of the problem - if I have these tabs separate and then I load the project, they are all combined or miss-sized at random. This is a lot more annoying than it seems to a point where I just stopped separating the tabs, so now when a project loads up I have to make the whole thing "full screen" just once and then cycle through with F5-6-7.
selig wrote:
04 Dec 2020
Enter full screen mode and hide transport - is this note exactly what you're asking for?
Aside from the 4 bars being visible, yes - this is exactly it!
How did you make the very top bar disappear? Please don't tell me this is an Apple-only-proprietary thing.

joeyluck

04 Dec 2020

macOS has full screen mode. I'm not sure if Windows has the same?

On macOS you click the green button or press ⌘F

You can then set each window into separate full screens/workspaces. I do this and then either use the Exposé feature to select the window, or just swipe with three fingers left or right to switch to the different windows.

selig
RE Developer

04 Dec 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
04 Dec 2020
selig wrote:
04 Dec 2020
Aside from the 4 bars being visible, yes - this is exactly it!
How did you make the very top bar disappear? Please don't tell me this is an Apple-only-proprietary thing.
Don't hate me, but yea I guess it is - It's just called "Enter Full Screen" in the Window menu. Hide Transport is also there - I swear years ago there was a triangle on the transport that allowed you to also collapse the Transport section (or am I on drugs?) from the UI, but now days it's menu only.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

04 Dec 2020

joeyluck wrote:
04 Dec 2020

You can then set each window into separate full screens/workspaces. I do this and then either use the Exposé feature to select the window, or just swipe with three fingers left or right to switch to the different windows.
It's typically Control/Command/F in every app I'm familiar with, not Command F (because of so many existing uses for command F, commonly "Find"), but in Reason there isn't a key command associated with Full Screen Mode (unless you add it yourself).
Command F is the key command for Create FX in the browser, btw… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Boombastix
Competition Winner

04 Dec 2020

There are other vertical space optimization they should/could do.
Top of VST windows (and set to pinned by default).
Space between midi tracks (no space for audio tracks, but midi has unnecessary empty space)
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

joeyluck

04 Dec 2020

selig wrote:
04 Dec 2020
joeyluck wrote:
04 Dec 2020

It's typically Control/Command/F in every app I'm familiar with, not Command F (because of so many existing uses for command F, commonly "Find"), but in Reason there isn't a key command associated with Full Screen Mode (unless you add it yourself).
Command F is the key command for Create FX in the browser, btw… ;)
Oh yeah...I forgot I added that one myself. Oh to be a spoiled mac user :P

EdwardKiy

05 Dec 2020

Anywho... since I just upgraded to a ryzen desktop, I would very much like the full screen Reason DAW experience for windows and those other things I mentioned earlier, thank you!

(I can view this forum with F11, why not my DAW?)

DaveyG

05 Dec 2020

I find the rack view terribly wasteful of screen real estate. I know it's a rack but I'd like it to look less like a rack! And, yeah, all those wasteful title bars.

AnotherMathias

07 Dec 2020

I'm on a Mac, and even though I can already run Reason in full screen mode, it could use a few tweaks to be properly useful:

1. Remember the full screen status, so it starts up properly in the correct screen mode when opening the software.

2. Allow for a single-screen mode. On a laptop screen, using the 3-way split of the rack, sequencer and mixer can get very crowded and cluttered (and those circle/half circle buttons are very unintuitive, and don't stay in one place), so instead I'd like to stay in one full screen layout, and switch between each mode (rack, sequencer, and mixer), completely filling the screen.
On a Mac you can use Exposé which will place each screen on its own virtual desktop, but that can get pretty flaky, especially when closing and opening several documents. Instead, why not have a fixed transport bar at the bottom, with three buttons to switch between each mode? Simple and clean.

In general, clutter management should be a high priority on the DAW.

• Information