new Reason Studios Player: Pattern Mutator

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
electrofux

02 Dec 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
02 Dec 2020
electrofux wrote:
02 Dec 2020

How is that being done with Bomes? Does it react to keystrokes?
You can create a mouse click/location and attach to midi.
Not ideal, has limitations of course, but can be achieved.
Yeah, i fiddled around with Bomes a few times. But i think that solution is going to be scuffed or at least needs some very strict positioning of the devices and alot of screen estate.

Props should really think about getting around that restriction. So many people want some form of cliplaunching/recording. And this restriction as arbitrary as it looks for the outsider is getting in the way to have it without major sequencer changes.

PhillipOrdonez

02 Dec 2020

Nice.

loopeydoug

02 Dec 2020

All the way from hiphop to techno to beyond. Thank God; beyond is my favorite genre. Insta-buy!

Sterioevo

02 Dec 2020

electrofux wrote:
02 Dec 2020
Sterioevo wrote:
02 Dec 2020

You can create a mouse click/location and attach to midi.
Not ideal, has limitations of course, but can be achieved.
Yeah, i fiddled around with Bomes a few times. But i think that solution is going to be scuffed or at least needs some very strict positioning of the devices and alot of screen estate.

Props should really think about getting around that restriction. So many people want some form of cliplaunching/recording. And this restriction as arbitrary as it looks for the outsider is getting in the way to have it without major sequencer changes.
Agreed, and being able to record performance controllers in players...

Regardless, this is an ingenious little player and kudos to the developers.

antic604

02 Dec 2020

BTW, it's interesting to see the jarring difference between the sharp GUI of the Player and pixelated mess of the patch chooser buttons (top-left corner) :)

Can't wait for that high-res update to come out eventually!

Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

electrofux

02 Dec 2020

Start/Record via dedicated CV-ins is probably not an option either Sdkwise?

arnigretar

02 Dec 2020

nice. this looks great :)
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

BRIGGS

02 Dec 2020

Setting to zero steps did this:
exception.jpg
exception.jpg (82.96 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
r11s

buddard
RE Developer

02 Dec 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
02 Dec 2020

exception.jpg
I can’t seem to reproduce this, does it happen for you every time?

BRIGGS

02 Dec 2020

buddard wrote:
02 Dec 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
02 Dec 2020

exception.jpg
I can’t seem to reproduce this, does it happen for you every time?
It seems intermittent.
r11s

guitfnky

02 Dec 2020

interesting...that’s the same error I get intermittently using the Guitar Rig 6 VST.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Loque

02 Dec 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
02 Dec 2020

exception.jpg
Do you have a log or dump file? Might be useful for the dev.
Reason12, Win10

XSynth

02 Dec 2020

The PATTERN MUTATOR really could benefit from having (Lowest-Highest-First-Last) Note Selection just like on Korde.

Lets say i create a Combinator with a pad sound and an added bass pattern from mutator.
The bass gets its pattern from PATTERN MUTATOR and the pad just play the full chord.

If i play any chord... like a A Min7 then the pad would play as usual but the bass pattern would chose any key it detect first within that A min7 chord and that will mess up things. If i could restrict the bass pattern to play LOWEST note selection then i could be sure the pad chord and bass pattern would fit to the key i play my chords.

bigguy1

02 Dec 2020

buddard wrote:
02 Dec 2020
bigguy1 wrote:
02 Dec 2020
I like the idea of that new player and I think I will bu this one day, because I love players in Reason. Hope it will be on sale for XMAS :-).

But I have to say, that I would much more appreciate that kind of mutating with a pattern in the sequencer. Maybe there is drag and drop working to drag a midi clip on the player, mutate it and drag it back to the sequencer again. I'm gonna try out...
You can't drag MIDI to/from REs, but you can record a note clip into Mutator in realtime, mutate it, and then send the notes back to the track again!
I played around with the device for some time now. And its really cool for generating new ideas from patterns. I like playing around with the mutate parameters. :-)

But for the use case that I already have a midi clip which I want to mutate, the player does not do it. For simple patterns maybe ok. But I tried to mutate a complex piano pattern, which is quantised. The player seems to record only quantised notes, which unfortunately results dending on the rate on a completely different pattern than the original clip. But on a high rate the length is just going to 99 which is too short for that purpose.
And I have to say that even if it would work better to transfer the midi clip into the player by recording, I don't like the limitation of having to record it. This is too "complicated" for me :-)
Still why not simply dropping a midi clip on the player to feed it. It understand that there is this technical limitation, that you can't do that. But as a user I am not interested in why things are not working. I should be possible to make it work.

Btw: Midi Drag and Drop on the desktop or to other applications like EZKeys, ... etc. would be really useful :-)

Don't get me wrong, it is a cool device. Just not for the usecase where you want a complex midi clip to be mutated.

Cheers!
Last edited by bigguy1 on 02 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

antic604

02 Dec 2020

bigguy1 wrote:
02 Dec 2020
Still why not simply dropping a midi clip on the player to feed it. I understand that there is this technical limitation, that you can't do that. But as a user I am not interested in why things are not working. I should be possible to make it work.
Yes! That was the first thing I looked for in the user manual.
Not a deal breaker, but it would be sweet if it was possible to make it work.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

BRIGGS

02 Dec 2020

Loque wrote:
02 Dec 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
02 Dec 2020

exception.jpg
Do you have a log or dump file? Might be useful for the dev.
I haven't used that since beta testing R6. Does that work with a non beta version? :puf_smile:

Although, it seems to have fixed itself, after restarting reason. I'll look into it, anyway.
r11s

EdGrip

02 Dec 2020

HOW much!?

BRIGGS

02 Dec 2020

EdGrip wrote:
02 Dec 2020
HOW much!?
This much:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n-mutator/

Anyway, I really like it. Glad I saved some dough from black Friday! :puf_smile:
r11s

Boombastix
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2020

So, $69 bucks for a random button? No musical or compositional A.I., or am I missing something?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

rgdaniel

02 Dec 2020

Got excited for a minute when I thought I could use my Rewards on this. But nope.
Funny how something called "Rewards" feels more like "Punishments".
I know, first world problem.

joeyluck

02 Dec 2020

Boombastix wrote:
02 Dec 2020
So, $69 bucks for a random button? No musical or compositional A.I., or am I missing something?
I would say to just give it a try. This is one of my favorite players now :thumbs_up:

I use the Step Record function, I play some single notes and chords (usually 16 or 32 steps), I then hit the Mutate button and I typically always get great results (starting with just the default patch). Then I hit the Mutate button a few more times, copy to pattern when I like something, make some adjustments, Mutate again, copy to Pattern...and so on... I usually turn the Velocity Mutate Amount down because I typically don't need that altered as much.

It's nice to be able to lay down some notes and chords and alter them quickly, saving multiple variations into the Patterns (either for automation or for A-B-ing later). I've used the Tool Window before, but this yields much better results musically.

electrofux

02 Dec 2020

you know i have allways something to complain on when it comes to Remote ;-)

But having the delete/erase buton, the mutate button, the copy to pattern, the two rotates and the switch between the two players remotable would be cool too.

The rotates and the switch between the players are fun to play around with in combination with the mutate button while the erase and copy to pattern facilitate building up your bank of patterns.

Unless i have misunderstood some items.

Also if you eg have a Beatmap Running and drop the Mutator on it to record a few patterns on the fly, it would be cool to have an intelligent function that decides if notes from beatmap go through or not. In order to have a seamless playback. Have to think about how that could look though.
But when you turn off the record button and have recorded a sequence, i most of the time need to turn off the playback in the beatmap to not get phasing notes.

Very fun to play around with :thumbs_up: And quicker to record stuff than i thought.
Last edited by electrofux on 02 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

lowtom

02 Dec 2020

Nice player. Had some fun connecting it with Basimilus.
Big love for random CV outs, but „Mutate” button screams to be remote item :D
:reason: :refill: :re:

earwig83

02 Dec 2020

Someone on facebook said it best. This RE costs 37% of Logic, why does RS think this is a good value proposition?

Tools should be no more than 50 and should be often on sale for half that.

That said, I want the tool, but won't pay full price for this one.

Rising Night Wave

02 Dec 2020

this pattern mutator is awesome!
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

• Information