new Reason Studios Player: Pattern Mutator

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
guitfnky

02 Dec 2020

I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Loque

02 Dec 2020

Interesting idea by RS and developed by Robotic Beans, which obviously do not like to have spare time...

It looks good and a bit unusual for a classic pattern generator.

Would be interesting how this compares to all the other "generators", even the "old" CV generators... Guess the main thing here is, I provide the basic pattern, which than can be mutated.
Reason12, Win10

Steedus
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2020

Damn I was hoping the trailer’s wording of “now available in the Reason rack” (instead of “now available in the Reason Shop”) meant it was included with Reason Suite.. looks interesting.

antic604

02 Dec 2020

This is seriously bonkers! :o

Hurry up Reason, release the high-res update so that I could go back to using Reason full time!

And please don't add Mutator + Friktion to v12 Suite, because I skipped v11 Suite as I already had 12 of the "extra" REs and wanted only 1 from the remaining 4. I'm not gonna pay for 18 devices of which I want now 3 :) Stop this Suite nonsense.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

guitfnky

02 Dec 2020

crafty with the timing on this one. conveniently dropped days after Black Friday to avoid the inevitable wIlL iT bE oN sAlE fOr BlAcK fRiDaY??? questions. 😏

antic604

02 Dec 2020

guitfnky wrote:
02 Dec 2020
crafty with the timing on this one. conveniently dropped days after Black Friday to avoid the inevitable wIlL iT bE oN sAlE fOr BlAcK fRiDaY??? questions. 😏
Hope it goes down to EUR/$50 around Christmas / NY :)
Music tech enthusiast.

guitfnky

02 Dec 2020

one PATTERN RS are MUTATING on is the music in their promo videos. it all sounds good, of course, but seems to always have the same feel. would be nice if they started to change that up--getting kind of boring always hearing the same uplifting midtempo dancetronica vibe in every demo.

antic604

02 Dec 2020

guitfnky wrote:
02 Dec 2020
one PATTERN RS are MUTATING on is the music in their promo videos. it all sounds good, of course, but seems to always have the same feel. would be nice if they started to change that up--getting kind of boring always hearing the same uplifting midtempo dancetronica vibe in every demo.
Isn't it because it's kind of neutral? If they used metal, jazz or hip-hop, people would quickly associate the tool with certain music style or genre. The "dancetronica" (great term, BTW!) has defacto became contemporary elevator music - a nice, neutral & emotionless background.

What I appreciate though, is that Tiger got rid of (or learned to control) her vocal fry. That was annoying :thumbdown:
Music tech enthusiast.

bigguy1

02 Dec 2020

I like the idea of that new player and I think I will bu this one day, because I love players in Reason. Hope it will be on sale for XMAS :-).

But I have to say, that I would much more appreciate that kind of mutating with a pattern in the sequencer. Maybe there is drag and drop working to drag a midi clip on the player, mutate it and drag it back to the sequencer again. I'm gonna try out...

guitfnky

02 Dec 2020

bigguy1 wrote:
02 Dec 2020
I like the idea of that new player and I think I will bu this one day, because I love players in Reason. Hope it will be on sale for XMAS :-).

But I have to say, that I would much more appreciate that kind of mutating with a pattern in the sequencer. Maybe there is drag and drop working to drag a midi clip on the player, mutate it and drag it back to the sequencer again. I'm gonna try out...
there are some good options for this sort of thing built into the F8 options in Reason already. you can select the notes you want to mess with, and under Alter Notes, set a % for how much you want to change them, and get some interesting variations. I use it often for drum part variations, but it works just as well for melodies and the like.

guitfnky

02 Dec 2020

this one looks more useful to me than a lot of the other Players that mainly do straight up randomization or require lots of manual data (note) entry. looks like you can record your own stuff into this one, and it'll create variations based on that--sort of a nice middle ground for me. could see myself using this, if it feels right after the demo.

DougalDarkly

02 Dec 2020

guitfnky wrote:
02 Dec 2020
there are some good options for this sort of thing built into the F8 options in Reason already.
I think their metrics must tell them that no-one presses F8, so they built an RE for us dumbasses instead!

Same with the recent RS Instruments too - I think they've realised we can't even set up a decent effects chain for ourselves, so now they build them in. :oops:

buddard
RE Developer

02 Dec 2020

bigguy1 wrote:
02 Dec 2020

You can't drag MIDI to/from REs, but you can record a note clip into Mutator in realtime, mutate it, and then send the notes back to the track again!

Loque

02 Dec 2020

buddard wrote:
02 Dec 2020
bigguy1 wrote:
02 Dec 2020

You can't drag MIDI to/from REs, but you can record a note clip into Mutator in realtime, mutate it, and then send the notes back to the track again!
So, recording from another MIDI clip via a Player device like CVPT could work? I guess yes, but did not tried it yet...
Reason12, Win10

buddard
RE Developer

02 Dec 2020

Loque wrote:
02 Dec 2020
buddard wrote:
02 Dec 2020

So, recording from another MIDI clip via a Player device like CVPT could work? I guess yes, but did not tried it yet...
Yes, of course! But you can also record clips that are on the same instrument track that Mutator is connected to. Remember that Players go between the MIDI track and its target instrument!

Loque

02 Dec 2020

buddard wrote:
02 Dec 2020
Loque wrote:
02 Dec 2020

Yes, of course! But you can also record clips that are on the same instrument track that Mutator is connected to. Remember that Players go between the MIDI track and its target instrument!
Lol, yes, you are right :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

electrofux

02 Dec 2020

Omg, robotic bean did it again. That thing puts us really close to a cliplauncher. Super cool.

Now, that Record Button, has the SDK changed so that it is not exclusively mouseclickable?

remo101

02 Dec 2020

buddard wrote:
02 Dec 2020
bigguy1 wrote:
02 Dec 2020

this thing is amazing. seriously it's a whole different ball game from using F8 tools to randomise stuff and I would advise everyone whose even vaguely interested to download the trial, play with it for 5 minutes and get lost in your own musical ideas... it's a lot of fun.

To buddard as the developer I wanted to ask if it would be possible to add a single "global knob" to scale all the different kinds of mutation - I mean so I could set "note length", "pitch", "velocity" knobs to levels I like and then use a single knob to scale them all back to zero or up to higher values while maintaining the same relative ratios?

Sterioevo

02 Dec 2020

electrofux wrote:
02 Dec 2020
Omg, robotic bean did it again. That thing puts us really close to a cliplauncher. Super cool.

Now, that Record Button, has the SDK changed so that it is not exclusively mouseclickable?
No.
But it is possible with third party tools such as Bomes.

electrofux

02 Dec 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
02 Dec 2020
electrofux wrote:
02 Dec 2020

No.
How is that being done with Bomes? Does it react to keystrokes?

buddard
RE Developer

02 Dec 2020

electrofux wrote:
02 Dec 2020
Well, to be fair I only wrote the code, the design is almost 100% Reason Studios. :)
Nope, Rec buttons still have to be implemented using custom display scripts, so they need direct user interaction to work.

But I think we added Remote support for everything remotely (haha) possible, including Rest, Tie and Delete during step recording.

Sterioevo

02 Dec 2020

electrofux wrote:
02 Dec 2020
Sterioevo wrote:
02 Dec 2020

No.
How is that being done with Bomes? Does it react to keystrokes?
You can create a mouse click/location and attach to midi.
Not ideal, has limitations of course, but can be achieved.

antic604

02 Dec 2020

I'm a little confused by the manual.

1. Does setting it to "SEQ" mode means it'll ALWAYS play when transport is running, or only when appropriate pattern #1-8 is set in pattern lane of the Reason sequencer, like Matrix, Redrum, etc. It's not gonna be clear for someone who hasn't used Reason before.

2. The other thing is at the end of page #12 "Now you can continue mutating this pattern, maybe with other settings. Or go back to your original pattern and create other variations". Once the mutation is copied to pattern there's no orignal pattern (it gets overwritten), right? So how can I "go back to original" (other than re-record it)? Or maybe both the original & current mutation is saved in the pattern slot? Considering there's no picture where both orange and green "dials" are coloured (always one is gray) I imagine it's only one version that's stored. OK, the video explains it better - you choose the pattern slot you copy the mutation to, so you can overwrite the original or not.
Last edited by antic604 on 02 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast.

electrofux

02 Dec 2020

buddard wrote:
02 Dec 2020
electrofux wrote:
02 Dec 2020
But I think we added Remote support for everything remotely (haha) possible, including Rest, Tie and Delete during step recording.
I really love that you allways put effort into that area. :thumbs_up:

This device is also a potential gamechanger for the already super perfect StepNote Recorder.

A function to quantize record start would come in handy though, to correctly record sequences on the fly.
Last edited by electrofux on 02 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

• Information