Using multiple track recording from mixer

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

14 Nov 2020

Rebumping this thread. Been using a Mackie d8b digitally (24 ins and out via Motu 2408 mk3) and also analog to passive summer (2x 1224s + another 2408 mk3 used as a 8 channel patchbay for 4x hardware compressors and sidechains). Then alas the d8b gave up the ghost and faders locked up.

That was 3 days ago. Serious hunt for a desk with similar capabilities (as we have 20 line inputs from external kit which include 8 channels from A3000 sampler). Found the X32 and compared against X32 + Compact + Producer. Compact is Producer's bigger brother, son of the full 24 channel version of the X32.

The X32 Compact is like the lesser twin of the X32 (16 faders + 1 master fader + 7in display) so basically the same desk just smaller. Found the x32 xadat addon would get the channels up optically to match (and exceed) the d8b so win win. Then found Klark Teknic do identical expansion for half the price of Behringer (£444 full price Behringer, 212 sale price, KT at 103, no brainer). Thommann had bstock (just as good as brand new in our eyes, like 1st hand version after leaving forcourt), so in all £1100 for around £1600.

Arriving Tuesday. Will review once we get it in

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

26 Nov 2020

Well, the X32 Compact landed, and damn what a desk! Very impressed with the size, connectivity, and routing options within the desk itself. Had to quieten the stock fan for starters (bit too noisy, fine for PA use as this desk is likely intended for that but in a home studio... )

Going to be linking multiple channels through this badboy ASAP, thinking of using the Mackie MCU Protocol with Reason for the mixer control, routing the mixer outputs to their own channels (having the MOTUs with now 32 possible ins and outs optically to the desk is going to be awesome, as well as having the extra for our analog summing chain is just going to be oh so good!)

Seriously, if anyone has a grand burning their pocket, you really won't feel bummed out if you got one of these in your arsenal

JunctionArsonist

30 Nov 2020

does mackie MCU protocol mean that this thing just works with reason for transport and fader/solo/mute automation control? i'm on the fence picking up an x32 and i havent seen a detailed account of how well it might integrate with the reason mixer when used as an audio interface.

selig
RE Developer

03 Dec 2020

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
26 Nov 2020
Well, the X32 Compact landed, and damn what a desk! Very impressed with the size, connectivity, and routing options within the desk itself. Had to quieten the stock fan for starters (bit too noisy, fine for PA use as this desk is likely intended for that but in a home studio... )
Hey, looks very similar to my Midas M32r which I've had up and running for a few months in my new space now and really like it.
Routing is amazing on these mixers, and using the ethernet hookup to my iMac means much easier setup and control IMO. The faders work great, feel very robust. I don't know if there's a hack to get past 8 faders in DAW Remote mode, but even having 8 faders is great. I assigned transport and fader banking to the Assign buttons so all major functions are one button away. Makes a great interface too, especially considering you get 32 I/O, 16 mic preamps, plus 6 more analog inputs for outboard (will host my PCM-70, UA 610 and 6176, plus the output of my L20 synth mixer for quick monitoring (switching to the L20 USB gives me direct inputs of every channel though I'm only use 8 of the 20 so far).
The goal here at Northwood Studios (Selig Audio's forest hideaway studio in the Connecticut hills outside of NYC) is to have all instruments mic'ed up and ready to go at the drop of a hat. Will try to get the live stream going by the first of the year to share the fun! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

09 Dec 2020

JunctionArsonist wrote:
30 Nov 2020
does mackie MCU protocol mean that this thing just works with reason for transport and fader/solo/mute automation control? i'm on the fence picking up an x32 and i havent seen a detailed account of how well it might integrate with the reason mixer when used as an audio interface.
The X32 / Compact uses faders and button 'modes' for accessing basic DAW fader controls, such as level, solo, mute, bank/channel select, DAW playhead control. There's no pan/eq etc, but if you have the routing configured you can use the DAW as 'mono stems' and actually pan on the desk via the audio ins / outs (you get up to 32 audio channels, which can also be treated as busses in the DAW before hiting your X32 channels, so you could have all of Addictive Drums outputs direct to the X32 on 18 inputs, then send-to-fader to two busses (buss 1 = left, buss 2 = right) which could then be patched back to your DAW (which is what we're doing) so you get some extra tools in the process without stresing the CPU. We're also running a hybrid setup (as mentioned before) which once we got our noodles around the routing it's rock solid and we can save the 'snapshot' of the whole config (routings, mix levels, eq / fx etc), plus if we ever fill up the memory on the X32, we can export /import via USB stick for more housekeeping. Recalling configs is awesome too, you can choose to select specific settings from a channel or load the whole preset in, which is a very nice touch.

We're using it with **cough Cubase cough** at the mo, but will get into rigging up a Reason rack too, all set to go with a template project for our needs, and do the same configuration.

Scribble scripts above the faders are pretty damn good too, customisable with icons in the library bank, plus once you get around the encoder-entry-keyboard screen it becomes easier and faster, colour code up too.

Seriously pleased with this upgrade, if your budget can afford the X32 flagship version then go for that, else the X32 Compact (being the smaller brother) has the benefits of all the control of the larger version, just minus the extra 8 faders (you can get the 16 audio channel faders visible with hot-swapping configs while pressing the buttons down the left side of the desk - handy as.

selig wrote:
03 Dec 2020

Hey, looks very similar to my Midas M32r
Should be since Behringer Midas & Klark Teknik all got together for these (same firmware too just different asplash screen afawaa)

JunctionArsonist

19 Dec 2020

Thanks for detailing how you use it!

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

22 Dec 2020

No problem at all.... just another note - if you're after a controller, then Behringer's X-Touch is basically a Mackie MCU style mixer with X32 style scribble LCDs - we were tempted to get one of these as well, but we've got plenty of horsepower and can use the analog / digital section of the mixer instead. May be worth a look though :D

selig
RE Developer

22 Dec 2020

So how are the mic pre amps on the X series? Only used it live, never recorded through it. TBH I'm totally blown away by the Midas mic pre amps, but was under the impression they were different/better than the X32?
[I know the Midas faders feel like a substantial upgrade from the X32 faders…but are they?]
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information