Workstation mega keyboards

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EdGrip

16 Nov 2020

They're still making them. Who the fuck's buying them? Who are they for? We've got computers now, lads.

I don't understand.

I've been fascinated by basically every aspect of electronic music for years, and yet, when news of one of these lardy jogwheel-wearing cash pits arrives, my brain shuts down.
Help me out. What is happening?

jam-s

16 Nov 2020

My guess: Entertainers at wedding parties or (gospel) churches.

Faastwalker

16 Nov 2020

jam-s wrote:
16 Nov 2020
My guess: Entertainers at wedding parties or (gospel) churches.
LOL :D I think that's about it!!

I've never understood these things either. The least interesting devices in music technology to me.

bitley

16 Nov 2020

For me as a keyboard player they're lovely. Just grab headphones sit down and play. Sometimes even compose. Don't you ever get tired of computers? Whenever I really approach my XP80 in order to sit and play it I really start smiling as I'm sitting down. It's such a different experience. Equally awesome. I guess it would be the same as flying different plane types as a pilot :D

QVprod

16 Nov 2020

They're made for performers (keyboard players) primarily at this point. Computers, though powerful, are fairly inconvenient to perform with. I gigged with my laptop for years and then finally bought a MODX last year. Best decision ever.

motuscott

17 Nov 2020

After the apocalypse these babies will be worth their weight in pemmican
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

fieldframe
RE Developer

17 Nov 2020

As road-ready keyboards with a broad, versatile set of sounds, arranger keyboards make sense to me. What doesn't make sense is the arranging part. Sitting down to play is one thing, but who actually arranges on one of these? Why would anyone try to do all that on the little screen when you could hook up Cubase and control all the parts from there much more easily?

marcuswitt

27 Nov 2020

bitley wrote:
16 Nov 2020
For me as a keyboard player they're lovely. Just grab headphones sit down and play. Sometimes even compose. Don't you ever get tired of computers? Whenever I really approach my XP80 in order to sit and play it I really start smiling as I'm sitting down. It's such a different experience. Equally awesome. I guess it would be the same as flying different plane types as a pilot :D
I’m with you, bitley. Sitting or standing in front of an instrument like a Korg Kronos, a Kurzweil Forte and making music with only these two Music Workstations (synced to each other) is different from using a computer for making music. I’m not saying that it’s necessarily better, but just different and Leads to quicker results, quite often. I think it’s the tactile factor of having direct access to pre-assigned physical buttons, knobs, faders, levers etc. that makes the difference because there’s no additional abstraction layer in comparison with a DAW and a USB controller. Simply put, I personally like working with keyboard workstations. And running them alongside Reason is the pinnacle of music making, in my opinion.

Yonatan

27 Nov 2020

Workstation concept is quite lovely, I wish the computer and DAW experience could a bit more streamlined. The hardware workstations has its limitations in the internal sounds and that the OS is a bit more limited, as well as the hardware itself with memory, knobs etc. At the money they cost, it is a steep step to take. I try to see Reason as my poor mans workstation, especially with the midi players it is getting closer, but with Reason as a recording machine, it is way beyond a hardware workstation. Reason also allows for more experimentations, but with a flagship keyboard workstation it is easier to get a whole orchestra or band to play in sync and blend better together, to use what is in the box.
In Reason, players can be connected and you can get to a one man band, but it is a bit more cumbersome to use live, but as time goes and players come, and with the right controller midi-keys, Reason and other DAWs, will be far more useful to use live. I only wish Reason could develop being even better and more intuitive to use "live" doing improvisation and shift arranging at a fly, betterments for a live-looping set up etc.

demt

28 Nov 2020

Tis luvly I'm still exploring mine it's the ease of blending four voices let alone the accompanient and 4 part songs instant chords etc
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

miscend

28 Nov 2020

I think they're popular with keyboard players and other gigging musicians. More reliable than lugging around a laptop.

Jackjackdaw

29 Nov 2020

They aren't that expensive really. Compared to a laptop/daw setup from scratch. Or a decent guitar and pedal board. If your a keyboard player it's a no brainer.

What I find funny is how they are so uncool. You get someone like Look Mum No Computer being popular with his theatrical modular setup but imagine if he was doing his sets on a Montage! He'd look like a nerd.

• Information