Investing in other DAWs?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?

Which other DAW are you thinking about purchasing this BF/CM 2020?

Ableton Live
29%
Apple Logic
4%
Avid Pro Tools
No votes
Bitwig
23%
Cubase
17%
Studio One
8%
FL Studio
4%
Reaper
15%

Total votes: 48
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
23 Nov 2020
Why is there so many nope/none replies? The Poll is in forum section for OTHER software and OP wanted to know from people thinking about purchasing other DAW, not from those not thinking about it.

How is this so hard to understand?
Because the question is asked in way similar to "What REs are you getting this BF?". "Which other DAW are you thinking about purchasing this BF/CM 2020?"
People are gonna answer even if they aren't getting anything. I think "none" is an interesting answer too. It gives a clearer view of what people are up to.
People don't read every nuance in a post. We generally look for the right option for us in whatever poll we read. We couldn't find it this time, so we took to the comment section and wrote "none".

jam-s

24 Nov 2020

I think DAWs are a very bad investment. The resell value usually just goes down. so unless you can put together a hit that "makes it big time" your ROI is not going to be great. *jk*

iamthor4

25 Nov 2020

jam-s wrote:
24 Nov 2020
I think DAWs are a very bad investment. The resell value usually just goes down. so unless you can put together a hit that "makes it big time" your ROI is not going to be great. *jk*
i once got accused of making money reselling a couple of licences i owned , i mean how do you make money selling used software ? unless its a freebie lol

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2020

Installing Cubase 11 as we speak...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

antic604

25 Nov 2020

iamthor4 wrote:
25 Nov 2020
jam-s wrote:
24 Nov 2020
i once got accused of making money reselling a couple of licences i owned , i mean how do you make money selling used software ? unless its a freebie lol
It's possible if you bought it 2nd hand. I managed that once, made like $5-10 on it but that wasn't on purpose. I just bought something that it turned out I didn't liked.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Oquasec

25 Nov 2020

fl n reason
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

iamthor4

25 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
25 Nov 2020
iamthor4 wrote:
25 Nov 2020

It's possible if you bought it 2nd hand. I managed that once, made like $5-10 on it but that wasn't on purpose. I just bought something that it turned out I didn't liked.
it is possible but not a money making venture lol

Billy+

25 Nov 2020

I've been considering live lite but only for started projects so I can use MiK Captain bundle with Reason Rack Plugin sounds & devices. If the midi routing worked in Reason Standalone I wouldn't be considering anything. I did consider Logic but decided against it as I'm thinking of going back to PC rather than mac upgrade

Jackjackdaw

25 Nov 2020

I currently have Reason and Cubase on the current versions. Cubase does everything I want that Reason can't. I'm not sure if I will be investing further in either platform. My needs are met.

Rising Night Wave

25 Nov 2020

lol

every time when i click in my google chrome on bookmark reasontalkforum/new posts and if this thread is listed i read "Investing in other DAWs?" as "Investigating in other DAWs?"

do not know why but it is lol
hehe
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Faastwalker

26 Nov 2020

lrey wrote:
23 Nov 2020
As Reason is constantly playing catch-up in the DAW features department, is anyone else looking to invest in another DAW?
No. Hanging for Reason 12. Little interest in anything else currently. Happy with Reason 10 :thumbs_up:

DaveyG

27 Nov 2020

I always have a problem when people describe it as "investing" in software. You are not investing, you are buying. And the thing you are buying is usually out of date within a year or so.

iamthor4

27 Nov 2020

DaveyG wrote:
27 Nov 2020
I always have a problem when people describe it as "investing" in software. You are not investing, you are buying. And the thing you are buying is usually out of date within a year or so.
depends if its something that could make
you more
money than you initially laid out on it then its investing isnt it , if you earn nothing never then its just buying i guess

iamthor4

27 Nov 2020

Faastwalker wrote:
26 Nov 2020
lrey wrote:
23 Nov 2020
As Reason is constantly playing catch-up in the DAW features department, is anyone else looking to invest in another DAW?
No. Hanging for Reason 12. Little interest in anything else currently. Happy with Reason 10 :thumbs_up:
yeah i dont really get this it does everything you need to make music
ableton live and bitwig and fl studio are all very simpiistic compared to cubase
but the full features of cubase and logic are for rocket science musicians i feel most of us just wanna play and dont need all that
reason has recording pitch editing all the effects u need great effeects great synths and good sounds ( ableton dont have pitch editing)
i would like more things like hi res and video
but what one daw lacks that another dont have it gains something the other doesnt have
ableton live dont have racks or combinators or pitvh editing
cubase dont have combinators or effects rack etc im sure someone could go deeper on comparisions

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Nov 2020

jam-s wrote:
24 Nov 2020

Reason Studios ROI comes in the form of joy and satisfaction. For me anyway :P

iamthor4

27 Nov 2020

aeox wrote:
27 Nov 2020
jam-s wrote:
24 Nov 2020

Reason Studios ROI comes in the form of joy and satisfaction. For me anyway :P
exactly as consumers do we get good resell on anything ? tv /speakers / motorbike chances are you dont make more than u paid ad things are always bloody overpriced anyway we aint buisiness so lets just enjoy our purchases

Jackjackdaw

27 Nov 2020

It's not just money though, you pay your entry fee and then spend time learning the ins and outs of the platform and how to realise your creativity within in. I would probably ditch Reason for Bitwig if it wasn't for the fact I can dial in my ideas in Reason immediately and learning a new platform would take time and effort.

antic604

27 Nov 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
27 Nov 2020
I would probably ditch Reason for Bitwig if it wasn't for the fact I can dial in my ideas in Reason immediately and learning a new platform would take time and effort.
See, that's where my "problem" with Reason lies. I can jump-start an idea in Reason super quickly, in fact much easier than in any other DAW. But then building upon it gets really difficult and labor intensive, because I get easily lost with multitude of unnecessary, seemingly unrelated sequencer tracks, cables going across 6 columns of the Rack, keeping track of real vs. virtual MIDI connections, etc. It quickly becomes a chore, rather than fun.

Sure, Bitwig can get confusing too, but that point is way further down the line AND it has tools to combat that, like group tracks, ability to disable & hide unused tracks (e.g. source for bounced audio), container & splitter devices that allow to keep 99% of things on one track (which works in Reason until you try to automate anything), etc.
Music tech enthusiast.

Chi-Individual

27 Nov 2020

I’m going to upgrade to Studio 5 solely for two features that, if implemented into Reason, would make it so I’d never have to leave Reason again. Mix Scenes and Retrospective Recording.

I’m a hobbyist at best but even being that I HATE!!! having to save 4 different reason files or having to completely start over when I don’t like my mix. To be able to go back to a previous mix versions in Reason at the click of button would be a godsend.

I’m also learning to play piano, so to be able to have recordings of when I’m just messing around if I forget to hit record would be another godsend.

All the other extras of S1 are cool like track folders and grouping etc but those two mentioned above are the reason I’m investing in S1. Fingers crossed RS is working on these two for the next iteration.

Reasonable man

27 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
27 Nov 2020
Jackjackdaw wrote:
27 Nov 2020
I would probably ditch Reason for Bitwig if it wasn't for the fact I can dial in my ideas in Reason immediately and learning a new platform would take time and effort.
See, that's where my "problem" with Reason lies. I can jump-start an idea in Reason super quickly, in fact much easier than in any other DAW. But then building upon it gets really difficult and labor intensive, because I get easily lost with multitude of unnecessary, seemingly unrelated sequencer tracks, cables going across 6 columns of the Rack, keeping track of real vs. virtual MIDI connections, etc. It quickly becomes a chore, rather than fun.

Sure, Bitwig can get confusing too, but that point is way further down the line AND it has tools to combat that, like group tracks, ability to disable & hide unused tracks (e.g. source for bounced audio), container & splitter devices that allow to keep 99% of things on one track (which works in Reason until you try to automate anything), etc.
I have come to the conclusin that you need 3 Songfiles for every song you plan on finishing. A worksheet songfile (for drums and stacking players) and an effcts songfile for chopping up audio, trying out send effect chains and bouncing/resampling audio. etc. then your main song file that you bring the midi and audio results of your labours into via importing and copy/pasting 'devices and tracks'. Then you have to save regular versions of your main songfile and having to chage the name slightly every time. If live performance is a practicality also ..then thats another file . I think however it's worth it .....just to have a reasonably clean and workable 'main' file...which is still guatanteed to out of control quickly.

Creativemind

27 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
23 Nov 2020
No option for “none”. Then you could see how many folk are sticking with Reason.
Missed off Cakewalk By Bandlab too.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

27 Nov 2020

reusenoise wrote:
23 Nov 2020
I'm A Synapse Orion refugee,after many trials and error (S1/FL studio/Bitwig) I found my perfect workflow:Reason Intro + some RE and Reaper,IF I will buing a daw durin BF will be Reason upgrade
Some of the native plug-ins in Orion sound great especially Toxic and that Sonic Pad in the Sampler is great.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

zoidkirb

27 Nov 2020

Reasonable man wrote:
27 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
27 Nov 2020

See, that's where my "problem" with Reason lies. I can jump-start an idea in Reason super quickly, in fact much easier than in any other DAW. But then building upon it gets really difficult and labor intensive....
I have come to the conclusin that you need 3 Songfiles for every song you plan on finishing....
3 song files, that's a novel approach.
I do something similar but a little more conventional by creating a song in Reason and then bouncing down everything to WAVs and adding additional Fx, mixing and mastering it all in Cubase.

I could do a similar process in Reason alone but am not about to spend a huge amount of money to get equivalent tools that I anyway have better versions of in Cubase.

As for Reason and it's lack of track folders, hide track types and other useful visibility tools, yeah it's a hassle but if you're fastidious when naming, coloring, ordering devices properly and ruthlessly delete unwanted midi and device tracks out of the sequencer page then I think things can be kept very manageable.
I'd say Cubase has one of the best if not the best set of tools for organising your project but even then, you have to put in the work yourself, just like Reason.

antic604

28 Nov 2020

Reasonable man wrote:
27 Nov 2020
I have come to the conclusin that you need 3 Songfiles for every song you plan on finishing.
I'd just kill myself if I had to do it like that :?

In Bitwig once I'm finished with MIDI I simply bounce stems to the same project, pack the source tracks into a folder track, hit Alt+A on it and it frees up the RAM and CPU. I can hide that from view and when project loads it's as if they're not there, but I can recall it by Alt+A at any time:

I work all day on a computer. I don't want to "put in work" for my hobby, especially when it's 3AM already and I should really get some sleep before sun rises ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast.

Skimrok

28 Nov 2020

I wasn't looking at other daws altogether but a friend of mine is a studio one user and seeing how easy it was to integrate Reason 11 with S1 has actually made me think maybe I should take more notice ,when tasks he does involves no cable pulling he!he! just drag and drop he is done I was like :o WTF, also a reason member on here use S1 for various bits i.e. DIY mastering in S1 so maybe its a bit greener on the other side??? :mrgreen: :geek: , another friend is AL user and reason so briefly seen the layout , I do feel visually S1 looks good with the colour scheme and feels less challenging to learn concurrently with Reason, does make you wonder why some users have both :idea:

mind you I still have tons to learn with Reason but do like the fact S1 has a crossgrade option :roll: :evil:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

• Information