Which RE would you like to punch?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
loopeydoug

21 Oct 2020

Synchronous. I don't want to punch it. I can only look at it like a disappointed parent.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2020

esselfortium wrote:
21 Oct 2020
MrFigg wrote:
21 Oct 2020

What do you use It for? I really like your music but I wouldn’t have had you down as using that particular RE.
Thanks. I usually reduce the steps to 2 with just a simple on/off pattern, and use it either as a guitar tremolo or as a fast pulse on rhythmic synths or pads. It's useful if you have a 16th-note bass part, like is common in synthwave, and you want to make it snappier in a different way than what you can get from ADSR adjustment in the synth itself. (I guess you can probably do something similar by just shortening every note in the sequencer, but this way is easier and also has a dry/wet control for extra finetuning!) Sometimes I'm pretty subtle with it, it can be useful for making a background part stand out a bit more without changing it too drastically.
Thanks. Good tips. Actually when I was trying to start afresh with it yesterday I set it to 2 to see if I could get some subtle movement. I guess I tend to look at every effect as a something to put on my guitar. I’ve got a lot of really nice trems so I don’t have much use for it as such and I can’t seem to see past the “cheesy trance” sound of it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

21 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 Oct 2020
esselfortium wrote:
21 Oct 2020

Thanks. I usually reduce the steps to 2 with just a simple on/off pattern, and use it either as a guitar tremolo or as a fast pulse on rhythmic synths or pads. It's useful if you have a 16th-note bass part, like is common in synthwave, and you want to make it snappier in a different way than what you can get from ADSR adjustment in the synth itself. (I guess you can probably do something similar by just shortening every note in the sequencer, but this way is easier and also has a dry/wet control for extra finetuning!) Sometimes I'm pretty subtle with it, it can be useful for making a background part stand out a bit more without changing it too drastically.
Thanks. Good tips. Actually when I was trying to start afresh with it yesterday I set it to 2 to see if I could get some subtle movement. I guess I tend to look at every effect as a something to put on my guitar. I’ve got a lot of really nice trems so I don’t have much use for it as such and I can’t seem to see past the “cheesy trance” sound of it.
Also, don't overlook the CV outputs. Both the Gate out and Env out can be very useful.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2020

Hmmm...well, took a whole new look at Trance Gate...set at anything under 5 with a long decay and sustain and a slow resolution.
Actually even at higher settings it's starting to sound fine on some pads and basses. I think the trick really lies in the decay, sustain and release. Was worth starting this thread in order to get a new perspective.
Now what RE do I want to punch now? :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2020

Is there any way to automate that circle with the number in the middle? Now that would be cool.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jackjackdaw

21 Oct 2020

Billy wrote:
21 Oct 2020
IMG_2218.JPG

There's nothing advanced about it, it's never been useful, and no matter how much you poke slap punch or kick it, it just sits there happily looking at you waiting to be use. :twisted:
It's not the adv. Midi device itself that pisses me off, it's the fact that you can't record the channels you set up in it to the main sequencer!

guitfnky

21 Oct 2020

Creativemind wrote:
20 Oct 2020
The worst GUI for me is Grain. It's the bit at the top where the sample is, the flags, and the overall display above that with the orange brackets is crap looking too. The flags bit though looks kiddish and don't like the white on all of the synth. Different colour themes may help but you'd still have them flags lol!
aw man, this is heresy—Grain is a damn beauty to look at. different strokes, I suppose. :lol:
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

motuscott

21 Oct 2020

Imma skip to the chase here and punch myself in the face. Hard
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

challism

21 Oct 2020

The title of this thread.... lol.... it's got my vote for best subject/title of the year
MannequinRaces wrote:
20 Oct 2020
Rob Papen Punch. :p Wait, is that even a RE, lol.
Sure enough, it is! I appreciate the joke... and so does the default preset. Nice one!
BTW, I don't want to punch it.
1.JPG
1.JPG (86.21 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

veezay
RE Developer

21 Oct 2020

About the Alligator not having a pattern sequencer - you could just turn off the in-built pattern and either trigger them via the CV inputs, or make a midi track for it and use the trigger notes for the three different bands, F#1 G#1 A#1 if I recall correctly. They're written on the back of the device. Unless I'm missing something here?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2020

Just thought of another one. Layers. Yeah...I really want to punch Layers. Bang!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

chaosroyale

23 Oct 2020

You are not missing anything - that's absolutely the correct solution from a technical point of view.

Maybe I explained myself badly (as usual, hah), but if I am going to take the time to actually program a proper automation in the sequencer, I would automate proper effects, not use the cheap-sounding effects in something like Alligator or Synchronous. They sound bloody awful. The delays and reverbs in particular sound worse than freeware.

So I was trying to say that the only reason for all-in-one "cheesy trance FX" boxes is to get results ASAP. In which case a really simple and fast analog sequencer built in to the device seems like the logical solution.

Its kind of a moot point because I would prefer to use better FX and automate in the main sequencer anyway.
veezay wrote:
21 Oct 2020
About the Alligator not having a pattern sequencer - you could just turn off the in-built pattern and either trigger them via the CV inputs, or make a midi track for it and use the trigger notes for the three different bands, F#1 G#1 A#1 if I recall correctly. They're written on the back of the device. Unless I'm missing something here?

iamthor4

22 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
23 Oct 2020
Just thought of another one. Layers. Yeah...I really want to punch Layers. Bang!!!
bro try these out a lot before you buy stop panic buying and buying for the sheer joy of spending your hard earned cash and
“take your time ask youself do i love this ? do i need this ?
then im
sure you wont wanna punch anything again
( unless it keeps crashing on you)

gullum

22 Nov 2020

I have way more RE's I never use then I can remember (so I forgot about them and and don't have them on my computer) but I like to punch myself in the face for Tube tech classic channel. it is a grate RE but I tend to use the SSL mixer for the most and also have the Kuassa EQ RE's, I would maybe use the Tube Tech if it was separated devices.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2020

gullum wrote:
22 Nov 2020
I have way more RE's I never use then I can remember (so I forgot about them and and don't have them on my computer) but I like to punch myself in the face for Tube tech classic channel. it is a grate RE but I tend to use the SSL mixer for the most and also have the Kuassa EQ RE's, I would maybe use the Tube Tech if it was separated devices.
Man!!!...So you were one of the 5 people who bought it. Maaaan!!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

gullum

22 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
22 Nov 2020
gullum wrote:
22 Nov 2020
Man!!!...So you were one of the 5 people who bought it. Maaaan!!!!
yup and 1 of the 4 that never use it :D

EpiGenetik

26 Nov 2020

What about a FacePuncher RE?

You have option1 being a selection of celebrity faces, option 2 is a choice of swings...

I think this would be good.

Anybody?

lilithunfair

26 Nov 2020

ok, i kinda hate that my first post is "negative" but this thread inspired me to come out of lurking - i've always kinda wanted to punch the softube saturation knob for not being a half rack. it's just one knob. i don't know if that's, like, some kind of limitation re devs have but it's always bothered me ever so slightly that it has so much unused space. the knob isn't even in the middle - which is honestly the worst part, because at least then it would be kinda funny, but it's just off to the left, taunting you with all that shiny bare steel.

the only other punch-related thing i can think of is that i've always wanted d16 groups punchbox as a RE, love those guys and their stuff but they only have two of their plugins as RE's, and punchboxes design would fit super well within the rack. a punchable box indeed!
gear: reason 11, logic, op-z, mininova, pocket operators, mpc, liven8, strat i stole from a bar, estradiol, gummi bears, purse crumbs, flash drive w/ 40gb of fart noises, hard drive w/ 600 more gb of fart noises, broken colored pencil, paper clip, bee

challism

26 Nov 2020

lilithunfair wrote:
26 Nov 2020
ok, i kinda hate that my first post is "negative" but this thread inspired me to come out of lurking - i've always kinda wanted to punch the softube saturation knob for not being a half rack. it's just one knob. i don't know if that's, like, some kind of limitation re devs have but it's always bothered me ever so slightly that it has so much unused space. the knob isn't even in the middle - which is honestly the worst part, because at least then it would be kinda funny, but it's just off to the left, taunting you with all that shiny bare steel.

the only other punch-related thing i can think of is that i've always wanted d16 groups punchbox as a RE, love those guys and their stuff but they only have two of their plugins as RE's, and punchboxes design would fit super well within the rack. a punchable box indeed!
ha ha ha, hilarious! Thanks for coming out of the shadows with this post. Hope to see you comment some more in the future.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

motuscott

26 Nov 2020

EpiGenetik wrote:
26 Nov 2020

You have option1 being a selection of celebrity faces, option 2 is a choice of swings...

Anybody?
A List Facepunch
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

iamthor4

26 Nov 2020

motuscott wrote:
26 Nov 2020
EpiGenetik wrote:
26 Nov 2020

Anybody?
A List Facepunch
bruv please dont temp anyone for this , u seen rob papans stupid offering attention 😂😂😂😂

mcatalao
Competition Winner

26 Nov 2020

Billy wrote:
21 Oct 2020
IMG_2218.JPG

There's nothing advanced about it, it's never been useful, and no matter how much you poke slap punch or kick it, it just sits there happily looking at you waiting to be use. :twisted:
It's quite useful for live usage.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

26 Nov 2020

I don't know about the RE but the developers of ReSpire should get a good bare naked ass spanking for not taking care of the performance issues.

Billy+

26 Nov 2020

mcatalao wrote:
26 Nov 2020
I don't know about the RE but the developers of ReSpire should get a good bare naked ass spanking for not taking care of the performance issues.
$90 off vst at the moment, I got it a few years back as I was fed up with the performance of the re.

I have a few patches that kill my machine when used in the re format but work fine in the vst, and the latest update in vst are sweet

mcatalao
Competition Winner

26 Nov 2020

Billy wrote:
26 Nov 2020
mcatalao wrote:
26 Nov 2020
$90 off vst at the moment, I got it a few years back as I was fed up with the performance of the re.

I have a few patches that kill my machine when used in the re format but work fine in the vst, and the latest update in vst are sweet
I have to send them an email to see if they have a good value for a crossgrade. I like the sound of the synth but rarely use it because some patches just kill my pc too! :/

• Information