Demand on CPU from Multiple RRP instances

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
krcassid

24 Nov 2020

I'm working in Pro Tools 12. If I am understanding RRP correctly, you must create a new Reason Instrument for every part you want to use (there is no way for multiple instruments to use the same RRP instance). If this is true, wouldn't 5, 6...10 instances of RRP create a pretty substantial load on the CPU? And, would in it not create additional latency? I've searched the RRP documentation and don't see anything regarding this. But, like any other Instrument, could creating many instances of RRP hog CPU resources and contribute to additional latency?

Using regular Reason, I can run many instruments/ EFX on one instance of Reason.

Am I missing something?

Thx!

fieldframe
RE Developer

24 Nov 2020

I'm not quite clear on how VST (or AAX in your case) is optimized for multiple instances, but this is what I've observed:

When I load the first instance of RRP in Ableton Live, it takes a couple of moments to load, just like starting Reason. The second instance, however, loads in a fraction of that time, and so does every instance after that. So it's clearly not the same thing as loading that many instances of Reason itself; the RRP instances are evidently sharing some kind of resources, I'm just not sure what.

krcassid

25 Nov 2020

Thanks!

This was what I was thinking: that perhaps, as in the standalone version, the separate plugin instances are using one Reason engine. I'm hoping this is the case as it is hard to believe that many Reason instances would not use a lot of CPU and cause latency when recording. But, I can't find anything on this in the documentation

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2020

The Rack is not an instrument, cause it is empty.
Latency comes from the plugins having latency, not the Rack.
CPU usage comes from the plugins, not the Rack.

It means the performance depends on what you put in the Rack.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

krcassid

25 Nov 2020

Ahhh! So, it makes no difference whether I use 10 instances of Thor in Reason Standalone via rewire or if I use 10 instances of Thor in RRPs. Its the same demand on the CPU, right? Somehow, I thought there were other CPU demands from Reason itself, not just the instruments in it. Actually, using your reasoning, Reason Standalone via Rewire has a sequencer, mixer, I/O and, I would assume, other functions... It might be less of a demand to have them in the racks which really have no other functions?

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2020

Not exactly what I said, I was only referring to the RRP.
Also different DAWs handle plugins a little different so CPU use may differ a little.

With multi core CPUs you are normally better off running multiple instances of RRPs rather than one fully loaded layered as the DAW can spread the load over multiple cores.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

QVprod

25 Nov 2020

It works the same as using multiple instances of any other plugin. Multiple instances of instruments don’t create latency.

• Information