ES400 Song Challenge

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
diminished
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2020

:shock: seems like I slipped in with the Hawaii timezone.. oops. :oops: sorry and thanks!
good luck everyone :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Adabler
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2020

ekss wrote:
23 Nov 2020
Hi!

12 PM 23/11 was midnight when sunday turned to monday (CET) - taking in consideration that some people, for example in California, is 9 hours behind we decided to have the deadline a little bit flexible. Since the deadline is now passed with nearly 14 hours let's hereby close the competition for further submissions!

It's very nice to see so many great submissions with a lot of variety - it really gives a good view of the width of sounds possible to make with the ES400.

Now it will be a super difficult task to rank the submissions and to select the winner -it will take a few days so the winners will be announced later this week!
Thanks for clarifying! Too bad for me! Good luck, everyone!
:reason: 12, Win10

joeyluck

23 Nov 2020

Sorry for any confusion. Is 12am different other places and I just didn't know it?

12am here means the very beginning of the day–just like New Years and every other day of the year. 12pm here is noon.

We don't go from 11:59pm to 12:00pm and then to 12:01am. Midnight/12am begins the new day. Is it different other places?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2020

joeyluck wrote:
23 Nov 2020
Sorry for any confusion. Is 12am different other places and I just didn't know it?

12am here means the very beginning of the day–just like New Years and every other day of the year. 12pm here is noon.

We don't go from 11:59pm to 12:00pm and then to 12:01am. Midnight/12am begins the new day. Is it different other places?
12:00 and 24:00 next time? :)
Last edited by MrFigg on 23 Nov 2020, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ekss
RE Developer

23 Nov 2020

ekss wrote:
23 Nov 2020
Hi!

12 PM 23/11 was midnight when sunday turned to monday (CET) - taking in consideration that some people, for example in California, is 9 hours behind we decided to have the deadline a little bit flexible. Since the deadline is now passed with nearly 14 hours let's hereby close the competition for further submissions!

It's very nice to see so many great submissions with a lot of variety - it really gives a good view of the width of sounds possible to make with the ES400.

Now it will be a super difficult task to rank the submissions and to select the winner -it will take a few days so the winners will be announced later this week!
Sorry for adding to the confusion, 12 AM (midnight) was the deadline!

diminished
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2020

2400 doesn't exist either, it's 0:00 :D
timezones are a mess, but add in am/pm (which is unique for a select few of english speaking countries), AND use midnight/noon as limits, you're doomed :D
Most countries around the world today use the 24-hour system. However, the 12-hour format, including am and pm, is officially used in a number of countries, including the United States, Canada (except Québec), Australia, New Zealand, and the Philippines.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2020

Yep. Everything you ever needed to know...
https://www.npl.co.uk/resources/q-a/is- ... am-or-12pm
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2020

diminished wrote:
23 Nov 2020
2400 doesn't exist either, it's 0:00 :D
timezones are a mess, but add in am/pm (which is unique for a select few of english speaking countries), AND use midnight/noon as limits, you're doomed :D
Most countries around the world today use the 24-hour system. However, the 12-hour format, including am and pm, is officially used in a number of countries, including the United States, Canada (except Québec), Australia, New Zealand, and the Philippines.
It’s not 0:00 hahaha it’s 00:00 :):):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2020

LOL right..

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2020

diminished wrote:
23 Nov 2020
LOL right..
And it appears 24:00 also exists :)

“ How to Read Military Time
When keeping hours in this fashion, the day starts at midnight and is written as 00:00. The last minute of the day is written as 23:59, or one minute before the next midnight. Sometimes you may see 00:00 written as 24:00. Both are acceptable. A usage example showing the 12 hour clock vs military time would be a time table showing 4:00 pm to 12:00 midnight. This would be written as 16:00 – 24:00. ”
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

23 Nov 2020

Got it. Thank you for the suggestions. I was trying to avoid confusion by not using "midnight" as has been used in past competitions, where people think that they have an entire day more...

We'll probably use 23:59 in the future. And likely use a time zone further west so more people get to have more of their last weekend to work on it. For those confused by the 6pm EST quote...when it became 00:00 Monday CET, it was 6pm (or 18:00) Sunday EST.

Whatever format is used though, I assure you Googling the time translation works lol, but no harm done. And please, do ask for clarification when you first read the rules :)

diminished
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2020

Edit: Re:Military time with 24:00

Okay gotcha, and it makes sense as it tells you that it's the end of a certain day, but it's good practice to use timestamps that aren't occupied twice. So I'd rather read something like [Nov 22, 23:59 CET] for our specific scenario, which would have been crystal clear no matter the timezone.. Anyways.. not the first time this has happened to me lol. Hindsight is key. I just feel sorry for Adabler.

joeyluck

23 Nov 2020

Yes, we will do what we can to make it more clear in the future. But for everybody, please Google it or ask for clarification sooner. Hopefully that won't be necessary after changes and maybe a countdown timer.

Adabler
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2020

joeyluck wrote:
23 Nov 2020
Yes, we will do what we can to make it more clear in the future. But for everybody, please Google it or ask for clarification sooner. Hopefully that won't be necessary after changes and maybe a countdown timer.
I feel like that plane that crashed because of the metric vs. imperial confusion when fueling.

Unlike that plane, I'll do better next time! :)
:reason: 12, Win10

Loque

23 Nov 2020

DgnHftdWkAAL3is.jpg
DgnHftdWkAAL3is.jpg (129.22 KiB) Viewed 13632 times
Reason12, Win10

islandlakeaudio

23 Nov 2020

here's my entry for the contest.

I really regret not double checking the submission deadline. I was 24 hours off in my head, but that was entirely my bad.

https://fidbak.audio/islandlakeaudio/pl ... ec84b28f75

Even if this doesn't get accepted, I'm still glad I did this challenge. I really like this synth, I'm really proud of this track, and I had a lot of fun limiting myself to only the ES400 and stock reason devices. The plugin in I missed the most was oeksound's soothe, but I managed to make my own with the gain reduction output of a slammed bus compressor on the master bus (which was set to 100% dry) plugged into a combinator, which then controlled the freq. band gain of a bunch of reason mastering EQ's with really high Q settings. It kind of works!

This track is essentially 5 "instruments" that I built using combinators. It's a drum set (kick/snare/hat, but each instrument gets it's own midi data), a secondary drum set (that is also kick/snare/hat sound in a combi, but each of those receives the same midi data), a bass instrument, a chord instrument, and a noisy pad instrument. I also added two tracks for small SFX sounds. a subtle "woosh" that happens occasionally and a super high end sparkle that happens once near the end. A ton of stuff is happening via cv modulation, like the warble on the chord sound, but a LOT of the synth sound changes are from automation. so so much automation. like an obscene amount.

It looks like the contest is closed, but I hope you all dig this! (also pls make an idiot exception for some of us :D )

-trent

MirrorEyEs

25 Nov 2020

I got confuddled with the deadline as well and didn't have time to swap out all the non-compliant FX RE's. My fault for not paying proper attention!

Good luck to all who made it! I had a lot of fun mucking about with this synth.
Reason 12 - Horrible plastic M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a battered pair of Sony MDR V6 cans

DNGmaestro
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2020

Only saw it now.. That's a shame! Would love to compete!

macon

27 Nov 2020

Will there be a decision before the end of Black friday offers?
Asking for a friend ...

ekss
RE Developer

27 Nov 2020

Winners have now been announced - have a look on this page: https://www.reasontalk.com/2020/11/es40 ... e-winners/
The winners; please send me a DM with your choice of RE and I'll add licenses to your account asap.

I must say the entries where really good and it was a very difficult task to rank all the great songs you all submitted!
We where 6 in the jury voting on 31 submissions (a few arrived late but we felt kind and accepted them in the competition anyway.)
It was a tie on third place, both songs had the same amount of points so we have 2 third place winners.

A BIG thanks to everyone for taking your time to try out ES400 and thanks for all your lovely songs!

Cheers and have a great weekend
/Erik

macon

28 Nov 2020

Well – congratulations to the winners! :thumbs_up:
Great tunes here! :)

• Information