Redrum, Kong, or Rytmik?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DonnieAlan

21 Nov 2020

Just curious, but of the three drum RE's in Reason, which do you most like to use and why?
Or, are there specific kinds of projects where you will choose one over the other? Why?

I suppose I could include Dr. Octo Rex in this as well.

So, I'm not asking which is "better", which is a non-starter in my book, but which you prefer.

antic604

21 Nov 2020

DonnieAlan wrote:
21 Nov 2020
Just curious, but of the three drum RE's in Reason, which do you most like to use and why?
Or, are there specific kinds of projects where you will choose one over the other? Why?

I suppose I could include Dr. Octo Rex in this as well.

So, I'm not asking which is "better", which is a non-starter in my book, but which you prefer.
Both Redrum & Kong get a lot of use here. Redrum for a more straight 4/4 techno & trance stuff, Kong for more freeform beats. I don't know why, just a preference based on how they look, because I don't use ReDrum's internal sequencer anyway. For some reason I never used any of the Players - Drum Sequencer, BeatMap, etc. - with ReDrum, always with Kong. Oh, and I also use Umpf Club Drums quite a lot.

Rytmik I'd gladly remove from Reason altogether - it looks drab, the workflow is terrible, you can't use your own sounds...
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

PhillipOrdonez

21 Nov 2020

It depends on mood for me, but generally I will use redrum for individual hits of perfusion once I've got the main drums going either in Kong or umpf.

I do use the players, use them all the freaking time. Love beatmap, drum sequencer and sequences. Usually use all 3 stacked on top of a Kong or umpf.

BRIGGS

21 Nov 2020

Redrum, because it's quick.

Kong, if I want to get lost down the rabbit hole.

r11s

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2020

Lately (meaning the last year) I've been using Kong, Umpf (mostly retro), Dr OctoRex and Rytmik. The only one that hasn't gotten any use is Redrum.

Rising Night Wave

21 Nov 2020

i prefer kong. because of analog drums. but reason 10 lacks good patches for analog drums. there are some good but too few.
i will probably buy some packs with kong presets/patches in reason store.

why? well, hm... i do not know how to say. it's cool. simple. it has features. it can be used with pattern matrixe res easily.

when they introduced kong i was so wow about that analog drums. but then i noticed there are not much patches for them. sadly enough. well, i will use kong further. almost all my song projects contain kong for drums. also for other sounds.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

sdst
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2020

I use Redrum and for layers the NNXT, dr octo rex sometimes

I don't use Kong because it has crazy milti output, that thing has problems

EdGrip

22 Nov 2020

The thing with the analogue drum modules in Kong is, they have quite a specific range and sweet spot, I find. There's not a huge amount of point in designing presets, because once you've heard one Kong Analogue Kick (for instance), you've heard them all.

nooomy

22 Nov 2020

I use umpf retro with drum player 90% of the times. It has really improved my workflow!

DonnieAlan

22 Nov 2020

Interesting comments on this so far. Clearly we all have our various ways of working. In the interest of full disclosure, I can't say I use one or the other any more than another. It all depends on the situation and what I'm trying to do. I have found Beatmap interesting to use to generate quick ideas, usually with Rhmtik. But that's only to germinate ideas. As always in the digital realm, there's always multiple paths to take to get to the goal, and no one of them is the "right" one. ITs always what's right for you and your project. And, I've come to learn that if you take the time to learn how to properly mix/eq/use compression, etc, you can make any drum kit sound really good.

BRIGGS

22 Nov 2020

DonnieAlan wrote:
22 Nov 2020
Interesting comments on this so far. Clearly we all have our various ways of working. In the interest of full disclosure, I can't say I use one or the other any more than another. It all depends on the situation and what I'm trying to do. I have found Beatmap interesting to use to generate quick ideas, usually with Rhmtik. But that's only to germinate ideas. As always in the digital realm, there's always multiple paths to take to get to the goal, and no one of them is the "right" one. ITs always what's right for you and your project. And, I've come to learn that if you take the time to learn how to properly mix/eq/use compression, etc, you can make any drum kit sound really good.
The drum tools alone, has kept me from going to other platforms.

Reason is the drum beast DAW. :puf_smile:
r11s

Rising Night Wave

22 Nov 2020

DonnieAlan wrote:
22 Nov 2020
true
+1 :thumbs_up:
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2020

Of those three, I use Kong more often. I'm a shameless patch browser so Kong's patch bank is hard to beat IMO. That said, I use NNXT for drums far more often. I love being able to load dozens of kicks into a sampler and use randomness to do crazy stuff. I like the filter and modulation capabilities of NNXT over the other samplers too.

• Information