Holding out on Sale for Friktion?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BRIGGS

21 Nov 2020

iamthor4 wrote:
20 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
20 Nov 2020

Physical modelling, instead of samples - so they probably dont' sound as realistic, but you have much more control over the sound and expressions AND can make it sound NOT like string instrument, too.

Check this, for example:

yeah not my thing cheers bud
Trial it, you may change you mind.
r11s

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2020

Even though I found Friktion pretty cool when I trialed it, I'm not gonna buy it. Reason Studios has kind of shot themselves in the foot imo. Based on their history I'm just gonna assume every RE they release will eventually end up in a Reason uprade, a bundle or in a Suite version.

antic604

21 Nov 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
21 Nov 2020
Trial it, you may change you mind.
Lol, that's why I'm avoiding the trial. Even at current discount I'm not sure I need it, but I know I want it :D

How good it is for non-real (not sounding like violin, cello, etc.) sounds? Like for some weird basses, leads or pads? Can it even pull those out?
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Nov 2020
Even though I found Friktion pretty cool when I trialed it, I'm not gonna buy it. Reason Studios has kind of shot themselves in the foot imo. Based on their history I'm just gonna assume every RE they release will eventually end up in a Reason uprade, a bundle or in a Suite version.
This, unfortunately.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

21 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020
TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Nov 2020
This, unfortunately.
While understandable, this is also a wrong attitude. You might be waiting a year or two for the device to get added, while you could've been using it in dozens of tracks in the meantime.
Music tech enthusiast.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020

This, unfortunately.
While understandable, this is also a wrong attitude. You might be waiting a year or two for the device to get added, while you could've been using it in dozens of tracks in the meantime.
I wouldn't say it's the "wrong" attitude. But I understand your point. Yes if you really want a device NOW, it sure can be worth spending the extra money just to not have to wait for it. I get that. But still RS way of doing things make me not want to buy their REs seperately.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020

This, unfortunately.
If I had an RE for every time I heard someone say that. That’s the only thing that’s in first place over RTFM.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

21 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020

If I had an RE for every time I heard someone say that. That’s the only thing that’s in first place over RTFM.
Doesn't make both of them any less true, though :)

Reading manuals and using what you buy is actually important.
Music tech enthusiast.

guitfnky

21 Nov 2020

using what you buy is a good thing, but the point is, he’s saying he’s not actually going to buy it, so that point is moot.

there’s nothing wrong with that “attitude”. clearly there’s not enough of a pressing need for him to buy it—if he felt compelled enough by the sounds and features in any particular device and felt it was something important to have right now, he’d buy it.

it’s the same approach many of us take. nothing wrong with that.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

strangers
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020

I wouldn't say it's the "wrong" attitude. But I understand your point. Yes if you really want a device NOW, it sure can be worth spending the extra money just to not have to wait for it. I get that. But still RS way of doing things make me not want to buy their REs seperately.
You can find me in this boat, too. I recently upgraded from Reason 9.5 to 11 Suite. Seeing how many RS REs were included that were and still are separate REs to buy, I'm in no rush to buy Friktion. Do I need it? No. Would I have fun using it? Probably. Do I need it now? Nope.

antic604

21 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
21 Nov 2020
using what you buy is a good thing, but the point is, he’s saying he’s not actually going to buy it, so that point is moot.

there’s nothing wrong with that “attitude”. clearly there’s not enough of a pressing need for him to buy it—if he felt compelled enough by the sounds and features in any particular device and felt it was something important to have right now, he’d buy it.

it’s the same approach many of us take. nothing wrong with that.
It's not moot. There are 2 alternatives:
1) He's compelled to get it because he wants to use it here & now
2) He wants to have it just because

If he's in 1st, then he should get it now. If he's in 2nd, then he can wait indefinitely until its added to future Reason version for free.

The scenario you're making to say my point is moot - he can't use it, because he refuses to buy it - doesn't make logical sense! If he wants to use it, he should buy it. If he refuses to buy it, he doesn't want to use it.
Music tech enthusiast.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
If he's in 2nd, then he can wait indefinitely until its added to future Reason version for free.
? That’s exactly what he said he was going to do.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

21 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
If he's in 2nd, then he can wait indefinitely until its added to future Reason version for free.
But that is also what I said and he implied my point is moot. You can only complain about RS adding REs to future Reason versions if you're NOT planning to use that RE in the meantime. If you are, then you're gonna get your money's worth and you shouldn't complain. If you're not planning to use it, then you also shouldn't complain it's gonna be added in the future.
Music tech enthusiast.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020

But that is also what I said and he implied my point is moot. You can only complain about RS adding REs to future Reason versions if you're NOT planning to use that RE in the meantime. If you are, then you're gonna get your money's worth and you shouldn't complain. If you're not planning to use it, then you also shouldn't complain it's gonna be added in the future.
He didn't complain. He said he was going to wait with buying it because it would probably either land up in a bundle or be included in Reason as has happened in the past.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

21 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020

He didn't complain. He said he was going to wait with buying it because it would probably either land up in a bundle or be included in Reason as has happened in the past.
Not really. He implied he'd get it, if it wasn't for RS's track record including REs in future releases. That's a veiled complaint.
Music tech enthusiast.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020

Not really. He implied he'd get it, if it wasn't for RS's track record including REs in future releases. That's a veiled complaint.
Or maybe that's just how you read it. Possible he didn't mean it that way either right? In which case he doesn't have a "wrong attitude" or?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
...using what you buy is actually important.
other users, including myself: wrote:I'm not gonna buy it.
antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
couldn’t possibly be more moot. :lol:

antic604

21 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
21 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
Let me guess. You skipped basic logic at school, did you? :D
Music tech enthusiast.

antic604

21 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020

Or maybe that's just how you read it. Possible he didn't mean it that way either right? In which case he doesn't have a "wrong attitude" or?
That's possible. True.

But as I outlined already, there are 2 alternatives and none of them requires leaving a comment like he did:

1) I want it right now to use it in my music, hence I don't care it will get included in 1-2 years for free. Nothing to complain about.

2) I don't need it, but it looks fun so I want to have it someday. I'll wait until it's added for free or heavily discounted. Nothing to complain about, again.

Anything else is looking for a reason to complain.
Music tech enthusiast.

guitfnky

21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
guitfnky wrote:
21 Nov 2020

Let me guess. You skipped basic logic at school, did you? :D
ha, dude, I literally work logic problems for a living. if you don’t see how irrelevant your “point” is, I don’t know what to tell you.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020

That's possible. True.

But as I outlined already, there are 2 alternatives and none of them requires leaving a comment like he did:

1) I want it right now to use it in my music, hence I don't care it will get included in 1-2 years for free. Nothing to complain about.

2) I don't need it, but it looks fun so I want to have it someday. I'll wait until it's added for free or heavily discounted. Nothing to complain about, again.

Anything else is looking for a reason to complain.
ok
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

21 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
21 Nov 2020
ha, dude, I literally work logic problems for a living. if you don’t see how irrelevant your “point” is, I don’t know what to tell you.
I pity your employer.

You're making a straw man built from basic causal consequence - someone refuses to buy something, therefore they won't be using it. It's obvious. But that's not at all the point I'm making.
Music tech enthusiast.

guitfnky

21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
guitfnky wrote:
21 Nov 2020
I pity your employer.

You're making a straw man built from basic causal consequence - someone refuses to buy something, therefore they won't be using it. It's obvious. But that's not at all the point I'm making.
indeed, you’re not making much of a point at all. 🙃

rgdaniel

21 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
21 Nov 2020
I literally work logic problems for a living.
That's awesome.
I have a philosophy degree, and the best I could manage was to work logic problems as a hobby.
And the occasional Sudoku...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l=en&gl=US

tt_lab

21 Nov 2020

I want it right now, but I'm not going to buy it because I know RS is going to include it with some update/bundle in the future. I'm not complaining. Just stating facts based in precedent. :>|

• Information