The Factory sound bank secrets!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
PhillipOrdonez

16 Aug 2020

I prefer my kicks atonal, all the fuss about tuned kicks is lame. As lame as tracks where the kick is tuned. 😂

Boombastix
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2020

nooomy wrote:
16 Aug 2020
Boombastix wrote:
16 Aug 2020

I took three random kicks from the FSB. Set the loop point closer to the end of the waveform, assuming the pitch is more or less stabilized at that point. Used kicks with a little bit of sustain for the same reason. Result: NO KICK WAS TUNED TO A, and they were all different. So there you have it...It is all random...
Well that’s not how you find the pitch of a kickdrum so that’s why you got different results every time.

Kick drum sounds usually contains 4-5 notes That it glides between and one of them is a fundamental note. By chopping up the sample you are removing 3-4 notes and changing the fundamental tone.

If you use your ears you will hear what I’m talking about
Nope, electronic kicks are using a pitch envelope with a sustain at the end. Not 4-5 notes. It is a continuous envelope until it settles. I measured the tune when settled which is the fundamental end note that is also most likely to clash with the bass tone as it is lower in pitch and sustained... There is no organized tuning in the FSB...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

nooomy

17 Aug 2020

Boombastix wrote:
16 Aug 2020
nooomy wrote:
16 Aug 2020

Well that’s not how you find the pitch of a kickdrum so that’s why you got different results every time.

Kick drum sounds usually contains 4-5 notes That it glides between and one of them is a fundamental note. By chopping up the sample you are removing 3-4 notes and changing the fundamental tone.

If you use your ears you will hear what I’m talking about
Nope, electronic kicks are using a pitch envelope with a sustain at the end. Not 4-5 notes. It is a continuous envelope until it settles. I measured the tune when settled which is the fundamental end note that is also most likely to clash with the bass tone as it is lower in pitch and sustained... There is no organized tuning in the FSB...
Could you tell me which kicks you measured and what pitch they were in?

Jagwah

17 Aug 2020

Boombastix wrote:
16 Aug 2020
Nope, electronic kicks are using a pitch envelope with a sustain at the end.
nooomy wrote:
17 Aug 2020
Could you tell me which kicks you measured and what pitch they were in?
Maybe there isn't a definitive way to detect these damn things. Please keep an eye out I will make a thread in the general forum now.
@Noomy thanks for the videos I will definitely check them out and feel free to post in the new thread as it will be about people's methods.

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
16 Aug 2020
I prefer my kicks atonal, all the fuss about tuned kicks is lame. As lame as tracks where the kick is tuned. 😂
Some of the greatest electronic artists can be quoted saying it is of extreme importance.

willy_dinglefinger

19 Aug 2020

Can't remember the name of it but there's a Combinator patch to do real-time switching to mono. For me it is always on the master out -> hotwired to the '-' key -> thus at any point during playback I can press '-' and reference in mono. If, like me, you're shite at getting a good balanced mix in stereo, mixing first in mono can be a life saver.

Whilst on Combinators - I also really like the de-esser combis. I keep meaning to fork out for Selig's de-esser but I always forget and end up defaulting to the Combinator de-essers and am always happy with how it sounds.

Also have a fetish for those glitchy / sweepy Redrum preset kits.
Hypernormalise forum signatures :reason:

SPITE1

21 Nov 2020

The factory Soundbank also includes "all insert effect patches". Im very often use those three versions of the "haas effect" that you can find there. Most for percs, pluck and lead sounds. Its a gift to work with :reason: what else can i say!

SPITE1

21 Nov 2020

Befor i forget! BSQ! the bomb squad drum-rexfiles. There are fuc....g insane! as an accompaniment, for dirty rave tracks.

• Information