Full MPE support (Roli users unite!)

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
botnotbot

27 Nov 2018

Here's a Google Drive with an init patch and some quick sounds in it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BnD-r ... 8H6nN-2sa0

In addition to disabling the dedicated MPE channel, you need to set the number of used channels on your controller to match the number you've put in your rack.

And since we are only almost MPE, you will need to switch your controller to send it's Timbre/Y-axis as Expression, aka CC 11 (for the sake of my patches, though we can also use breath).

Okay, we are not fully MPE. But we also don't get full 5D because release velocity is unavailable. However, what we do have is available per-voice, allowing for some interesting potentials in per-voice distortion and other effects.

For that purpose, the init patch comes with Expression routed to CV1 and Aftertouch routed to CV2.

Additional pre-routings: Expression goes to engine 1 and 2 shape and Aftertouch goes to Filter Cutoff and Drive.

PS. The Init patch isn't meant to sound good :)

botnotbot

05 Dec 2018

Anybody try this yet? Were my instructions confusing? Should I make a video to explain it?

Fnwiseguy

26 Jan 2019

Yes, a video explanation would be welcomed! Much appreciated! I’m with you on this one.......a little expressiveness is better than none!

Deerstetmusic

07 May 2019

Lets wake this thread up again :D

Roli Blocks and Seaboard user here who would love to get everything out of his beloved hardware WITHIN his favorited DAW , Reason that is :lol: :lol:
Its a real shame that so far i have to use a DAW i dont really like just for the sake of being able to take advantage of all the functionality of midi-hardware ;)

Fnwiseguy

07 May 2019

I have been awaiting Mpe patiently since 2016. 3 years go by, and still not even a mention of MPE support. I’m wondering if it’s ever going to happen. I know there are a lot of other features that need attention, I get it. But the possibility of automation real time using gestures is just so intoxicating. I’m so torn. I purchased the Rise 49 for almost 1100 dollars in hopes we were a year or closer. I feel like Rolis beta tester. So far only Logic has roll implementation and let’s face it, Logic is nice, but the hardware required to run it has me frustrated. I never thought I would sell the Seaboard, but what good is it, when I can’t even record with it? Please for the love of Pete.......is someone at PH working on implementing MPE?

onib89

29 Jun 2019

I want so bad mpe on reason! +10!!!

littlejam

22 Feb 2020

hello,

i just found this thread and wanted to say something to keep up with it

anyone with an MPE instrument linn / rolli care to comment on performance in Reason 10

vsts that are MPE aware: serum, surge, omnisphere, some u-he stuff...

and what other DAW you may be using to really get a whack at MPE

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

oyvindur

08 Mar 2020

littlejam wrote:
22 Feb 2020
For MPE stuff, I use Cocos Reaper. I chose it because it is cheap, yet extremely powerful and flexible. They have a fully functional free evaluation version: https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

If you want to combine Reason with MPE (and not duplicate and set up multiple synths to "emulate" MPE, which I think is described elsewhere in this thread), I know of two options:
* With Reason 11's new VST Rack Plugin, you may load a Reason rack into any DAW. The downside is that you will lose the Reason mixer and sequencer. So you have basically switched DAW away from Reason. And no Reason synths will work with MPE.
* You may use ReWire to link Reason and Reaper (or any other DAW that support ReWire) together. The downside is that you will have to run two DAWs, and Reason cannot be ReWire master.

I love Reason, and have been using it for a looong time. But I really hope they will step up their hardware support soon. Owning several pieces of useless hardware is quite annoying.

Cheers,
Ø.

joeyluck

08 Mar 2020

littlejam wrote:
22 Feb 2020
GarageBand.

Yes even GarageBand supports MPE!

twoitscheck

13 Apr 2020

Unbelievable that there are so few people recognizing that milestone in musical instrument development of the role seaboard concept!

From the articulation point of view, that is the step to real play of an instrument! I hope that computer based instruments manufacturers get aware of that extraordinary development.

I'm actually trying to find the corresponding switches in Europe what is said to be MPE conform, but i could not find it til now.
Anyone can give me advise?

Tom

LeoCreer

17 Nov 2020

So at this point the following DAWs have full MPE Support. Please don't give me a Reason to leave.

Ableton Live
Bitwig 8-Track & Studio
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Logic Pro X
MainStage
Open Labs Stagelight
Reaper
Steinberg Cubase
Tracktion Waveform
zenAud.io ALK

XysteR

24 Nov 2020

Brings out Friktion - Doesn't support Roli.. Also every other DAW supports multitimbral MIDI. Why on earth in 2020 (and after years of asking) does Reason 'STILL' not support this? Limited to 1 track in Reason with an Access Virus Ti2, countless other systems can't be used to their full potential because of this long-standing limitation.

z_Bee

23 Dec 2020

How does one make Reason Studios listen?? I've done my best to attempt to use Logic as my DAW but keep coming back to Reason. And then bump my head against the wall realising time and again that there is still no MPE support!

I don't even care about support of the Reason native instruments. Simply built in MPE support for the VST plugins that come with Roli!

oyvindur

25 Dec 2020

z_Bee wrote:
23 Dec 2020
I don't even care about support of the Reason native instruments. Simply built in MPE support for the VST plugins that come with Roli!
+1

Fnwiseguy

10 Feb 2021

I posted in this forum almost two years ago regarding Mpe in Reason. At that time I had owned the roll seaboard for three years hoping that one day I would wake up and find that Reason had come to their senses and reworked the daw to implement Mpe. Now it has been almost 5 years and here we are. Still no Mpe support. I understand that it may be difficult to include Mpe but guess what Reason? Every daw has Mpe included or has plans to implement it except for you! Comon!. Get with the times! I love the creative flow that Reason brings out in me and so many others. But ignoring Mpe is a big mistake. And you go and introduce Reason+. I mean focus on things that people have been asking about for years, and people will remain loyal, but it seems your not interested in our loyalty., only monthly payments Time to move on and accept the facts........that you could care less about what your customers want,......so sad!

Eurikon

11 Feb 2021

Hello all, joining the MPE club here.
+1 for full MPE support, and full Roli Seabord integration.
★ --------------------------------------- ★
https://www.youtube.com/c/Eurikon
https://eurikon.bandcamp.com
https://instagram.com/eurikon_music
★ --------------------------------------- ★

littlejam

08 Mar 2021

hello,

checking in

waiting to see what R12 provides
i'm on R10 / windows 7

if i get another daw it would be cakewalk or reaper
probably reaper

my questions re MPE:

what vst instruments are other people using please?

and i would probably go with a linn instrument

cheers and mahalos,

j
littlejamaicastudios
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49

WasteLand

08 Mar 2021

i don't know how difficult it is to implement MPE, not that difficult, but the midi-editor needs an overhaul. that seems to me takes the most time, but i guess, it wouldn't be rocket science.

so +1 for MPE

@littlejam

i don't if i can list them out of my head;

- unfiltered audio LION
- Rob Papen Blade 2
- Meldaproduction MSoundFactory
- FXpansion Cypher 2
- accSone Crusher-X
- Audio Damage Quanta
- Newfangled Audio Generate
- Delta-V Audio Spacecraft
- roli equator (v1..)
- VItal Audio Vital
- Vast Dynamics Vaporizer 2
- Voltage Modular
- Softube Modular
- Arturia PIgments 2
- KV331 synthmaster 2.9
- Tracktion Biotek 2

ow quite a list, vst only. (i have other DAW's)

so a +10000 for MPE...

EDIT: owning by the way a seaboard block + 2 lightpad M blocks.
Win 10 Pro. R11 suite + R12. Nektar Panorama p1. Ryzen 9 5900X. Cubase Pro 11, Bitwig Studio 4.4, Reaper 6.68, Ableton Live 11 Suite. RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123

XysteR

03 May 2021

I own a Roli Seaboard and would like to see MPE support as this would not only help with MPE devices but the likes of the Access Virus Ti too. I've asked for years for this kind of MIDI support to be included but.... Never happened and I don't expect it'll happen any time soon, I gave up hoping.

Spasy

05 May 2022

+1 !! This is such a missing feature... Cmon Reason

rmtcvolte

05 May 2022

XysteR wrote:
03 May 2021
I own a Roli Seaboard and would like to see MPE support as this would not only help with MPE devices but the likes of the Access Virus Ti too. I've asked for years for this kind of MIDI support to be included but.... Never happened and I don't expect it'll happen any time soon, I gave up hoping.
Simple because I am interested: is it possible to record or display the raw midi data while playing your Seaboard? And could you make it available to me (screenshot, textfile)?

mrzplinter

24 May 2022

Hydrasynth user here
Reason MPE support will be a game changer for me :)

littlejam

24 May 2022

hello,

i think RStudios is dropping the ball on soooooooooo many things now
it's like if they don't care anymore
it's a cashgrab

R10 is still my daw of choice because i lovvelove reason

i think joeyluck has an MPE device

i also don't think that it is easy to 'code' MPE into reason

maybe someone else has more knowledge on the 'coding' part of it

but how much !@@$%^&**&^%$#@!@!#@@!@#!@@ fun it would be to have MPE with the reason stock devices and RE

lack of MPE in reason is one major reason i will jump ship into reaper
and use the RRP

cheers and eat well,

j
littlejamaicastudios

gkillmaster

24 May 2022

I own a Seaboard RISE 49 and a McMillen K-Board Pro 4, both MPE keyboard controllers and at this rate it won't be long before I will only buy and use MPE synths and DAWs. Suits the way I want to play. I probably won't update Reason if future releases don't support it is the truth of it.

littlejam

24 May 2022

hello,

@ gkillmaster

if you get the time and have interest
i would love to know what daw you use
and what MPE plugins you use

another user posted the same kinda info earlier in the thread
but your info would also be interesting

i so want to use MPE

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios

• Information