Scalable devices idéa...

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Marc64

17 Nov 2020

Would be nice if it was possible with a button open a reason device in a window like a vst and there you can scale it it what size you want.

selig
RE Developer

17 Nov 2020

I moved this to the Feature Suggestion forum - and yes, it would be nice!
Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

17 Nov 2020

Marc64 wrote:
17 Nov 2020
Would be nice if it was possible with a button open a reason device in a window like a vst and there you can scale it it what size you want.
No, it wouldn't.

Actually the OPPOSITE would - "forcing" VSTs to display their GUI in the Rack with all the other native & RE devices, with all the ins & outs on the back that we currently have.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Billy+

17 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
17 Nov 2020
Marc64 wrote:
17 Nov 2020
No, it wouldn't.

Actually the OPPOSITE would - "forcing" VSTs to display their GUI in the Rack with all the other native & RE devices, with all the ins & outs on the back that we currently have.
I agree, no it wouldn't.

What would it add other than a load of code just to use on some rear occasion when you've misplaced your glasses. Would be a total waste of a developers time.

esselfortium

17 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
17 Nov 2020
Marc64 wrote:
17 Nov 2020
No, it wouldn't.

That would be great, there are a lot of VSTs that would fit nicely into the rack if they were allowed to.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

PhillipOrdonez

17 Nov 2020

Would be nice actually, but I guess I would prefer to zoom in on the rack.

Marc64

17 Nov 2020

Well when open up a device in a own window and you can zoom would be for easy tweaking of that device if needed. Zooming of the whole reason window would be nice too but not if you want just a device big and not the rest. So an options on how and what you want to zoom would be preferable.

Loque

17 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
17 Nov 2020
Marc64 wrote:
17 Nov 2020
No, it wouldn't.

I like the idea. Not sure if it would be usefull.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

18 Nov 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Nov 2020
Would be nice actually, but I guess I would prefer to zoom in on the rack.
Personally speaking I'd love any type of "focus" command to more or less fill the screen with whatever device you're working with. It's nice to program Europa at nearly 4x the Rack size using the VST version!
Rack zoom would allow you to quickly zoom in/out in the rack the same way you can use the "Z" key to fill the screen with the current selection. Using "Z" in the rack would thus also make perfect sense IMO. And while zoomed, the arrow keys could be used to navigate to other adjacent devices above/below or to either side of the current zoomed selection so you could work between multiple devices at a time.

VSTs in the rack: I don't see how this could never work well for all size VSTs - the taller VSTs would end up too narrow and the wider VSTs would end up too short. For example, Kontakt Players like Butch Vig Drums would be shrunk down from it's current size to fit the rack. Even at 50% Pigments still won't quite fit the rack. If you hold all VSTs to the 9U height limit (which is only fair), then VSTs like Arturia's 2600 would be 2x too tall and would look very odd at 9U. It's basically gonna require some odd scaling and "letterboxing" for most VSTs to fit them into the rack.

Bottom line simple scaling won't work. That means many VSTs would need to be redesigned (like Spire) to work in the rack I would think, something very unlikely to happen.
So I think we're "stuck" with finding some way to zoom in the rack, and there's definitely more than one way to do this - and the Props probably have yet another way to do it, as they almost always do… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

zoidkirb

18 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
17 Nov 2020
Marc64 wrote:
17 Nov 2020
No, it wouldn't.

I like both ideas. Although maybe some smart kind of zooming would be better than blowing up an RE in a window.

Many times I'd like to just settle on a much bigger view of the deeper RE's for 20 minutes while I get the initial sound design done and then later it's preferred to have everything medium sized again as I make small tweaks to various devices around the rack.

I really like the ideas of VSTs being forced into a rack format too. It may not work perfectly for every VST out there but I'm all for as many options being available for different users and different use cases.

• Information