So when is the high-DPI / GUI scaling update coming?!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
antic604

09 Nov 2020

I'm starting to lose hope :(

Every time I fire up Reason or insert a Reason Rack VST in Bitwig or S1 I get hit in the face with its low-res, fuzzy image. I'm not a teenager anymore and I also work all day with computer, so I really want to have big, bold but SHARP controls and image on screen when spending time on my hobby. All of my other DAWs and virtually all plugins I actually use work well with Windows' 125% scaling, but not Reason.

I'm not expecting any of the Reason Studios' people to reply, but we have devs here, right? Surely they'd know? I imagine RS would come to them asking to at least test their REs with new bulid? I've been on the beta channel for v10 and have signed up when they asked for volunteers few months ago, but there's nothing happening for 3+ months there.

Anyone? :puf_unhappy:
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

DaveyG

09 Nov 2020

I think it will be here at the same time as the Covid vaccine, the Brexit deal and peace in the Middle East.

antic604

09 Nov 2020

DaveyG wrote:
09 Nov 2020
I think it will be here at the same time as the Covid vaccine, the Brexit deal and peace in the Middle East.
Don't get my hopes up, man! :puf_bigsmile:
Music tech enthusiast.

guitfnky

09 Nov 2020

well, we know there's not going to be a major release this year, and we know this is a major project for them, which means it's PROBABLY (not definitely) going to come with a paid upgrade, which means not this year.

I imagine a GUI overhaul touches nearly every single aspect of Reason, apart from the audio engines/algorithms, so there are also probably hundreds of other tiny things that are related, that they're going to need to/want to address along the way--it's a major project.

if I'm not mistaken, they also started work on this major project after Reason 11. working in a technology environment myself I know that major projects such as this can often take a very long time--years, even.

have I mentioned it's a major project? ;)

I think it's probably coming sometime next year, and I also think it's way premature to 'lose hope'. we know it's coming--just not when.

and they learned their lesson with the performance update--they're not going to tell us when, because if they end up missing the window, everyone's going to whine about it until it does come out.

patience, grasshopper.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

PhillipOrdonez

09 Nov 2020

Patience is a virtue that can be learnt.

moggadeet

09 Nov 2020

I develop software for a living and it happened and happens in any organization I have worked in. As much as I would like to see this and other improvements added to Reason, the matter is one of incentives. Some quality-of-life updates like this one and some other well known ones are evidently overdue, but the company management just maximizes the short-term value it gets out of every hour any developer puts in. Any other criteria to prioritize work (highly requested but less income in the short-term or simular income but in the long-term) is difficult to get through management approval and as a consequence projects like this one are run as low-priority side-project from which developers might even get pulled off to help in the main projects when things get rough elsewhere in the organization. To strike the right balance is difficult and min-maxing might kill the product, so the product managers must choose the focus of the development wisefully. That said I think that they pulled out such an impressive development cycle with v10 (Grain, Europa, Monotone, Drum sequencer, Complex) that it will be difficult to top it in v11. But I will be happy to be proven wrong :)

Creativemind

09 Nov 2020

DaveyG wrote:
09 Nov 2020
You optimist you. :lol:

I'm starting to lose hope too. It's been months and months and months. I know Covid has got in the way but it does feel like waiting for us to find life on another planet. :lol:

I'd also (and I doubt it'll happen) like to see double clicking a parameter resets it's position to default instead of ctrl/click changed. So much faster.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

MannequinRaces

09 Nov 2020

moggadeet wrote:
09 Nov 2020
I develop software for a living and it happened and happens in any organization I have worked in. As much as I would like to see this and other improvements added to Reason, the matter is one of incentives. Some quality-of-life updates like this one and some other well known ones are evidently overdue, but the company management just maximizes the short-term value it gets out of every hour any developer puts in. Any other criteria to prioritize work (highly requested but less income in the short-term or simular income but in the long-term) is difficult to get through management approval and as a consequence projects like this one are run as low-priority side-project from which developers might even get pulled off to help in the main projects when things get rough elsewhere in the organization. To strike the right balance is difficult and min-maxing might kill the product, so the product managers must choose the focus of the development wisefully. That said I think that they pulled out such an impressive development cycle with v10 (Grain, Europa, Monotone, Drum sequencer, Complex) that it will be difficult to top it in v11. But I will be happy to be proven wrong :)
Finally a realist around here, lol. I think your version numbering is a bit messed up though, haha.

fieldframe
RE Developer

09 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
09 Nov 2020
well, we know there's not going to be a major release this year, and we know this is a major project for them, which means it's PROBABLY (not definitely) going to come with a paid upgrade, which means not this year.
Historically speaking, I’m not sure the size of the effort is necessarily connected to whether or not it gets held back until the next major version release. The performance update was its own huge project, and was described as largely a rewrite of Reason's entire audio engine, yet it was in a point release. And of course there’s VST support, which we don’t know how long it was in development, but was probably at least as long, yet it was in Reason 9.5, not 10 which came out only a few months later. (Someone may mention the story that Pelle “had VST working” years prior, but that would have been a proof of concept, and turning a POC into shippable code is often >90% of the work.)

One other thing that has undoubtedly been consuming a lot of time at Reason Studios, and basically has to be a point release: An ARM version of Reason for MacOS. The first Apple Silicon Macs are due to be announced this week, and will probably go on sale this month.

guitfnky

09 Nov 2020

fieldframe wrote:
09 Nov 2020
guitfnky wrote:
09 Nov 2020
Historically speaking, I’m not sure the size of the effort is necessarily connected to whether or not it gets held back until the next major version release. The performance update was its own huge project, and was described as largely a rewrite of Reason's entire audio engine, yet it was in a point release. And of course there’s VST support, which we don’t know how long it was in development, but was probably at least as long, yet it was in Reason 9.5, not 10 which came out only a few months later. (Someone may mention the story that Pelle “had VST working” years prior, but that would have been a proof of concept, and turning a POC into shippable code is often >90% of the work.)

One other thing that has undoubtedly been consuming a lot of time at Reason Studios, and basically has to be a point release: An ARM version of Reason for MacOS. The first Apple Silicon Macs are due to be announced this week, and will probably go on sale this month.
ah, excellent points! I was speculating, but was definitely forgetting that past context. 👍🏼

Aquila

09 Nov 2020

If Mattias were to pop his head in this thread and say something like, "We're getting there. There's still a lot to do before we can even think about giving an approximate ETA, but from what we've seen it'll be worth the wait" then I'll be happy.

antic604

10 Nov 2020

Aquila wrote:
09 Nov 2020
...then I'll be happy.
Not only that. For 1 year+ I've not bought a single RE, because I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to use them without losing my eye-sight... High-DPI support would breath new life in Reason AND in Rack VST and REs in my case.
Music tech enthusiast.

jaeproduced

10 Nov 2020

Aquila wrote:
09 Nov 2020
If Mattias were to pop his head in this thread and say something like, "We're getting there. There's still a lot to do before we can even think about giving an approximate ETA, but from what we've seen it'll be worth the wait" then I'll be happy.

Not going to happen my friend everyone feels the same way and frankly being that November is the 20th Anniversary of Reason & NO Reason 11.5 or 12 kind of says it all. I think reason tech guys probably sitting around wondering if they're going to even have a job in 2021...

Loque

10 Nov 2020

jaeproduced wrote:
10 Nov 2020
Aquila wrote:
09 Nov 2020

Not going to happen my friend everyone feels the same way and frankly being that November is the 20th Anniversary of Reason & NO Reason 11.5 or 12 kind of says it all. I think reason tech guys probably sitting around wondering if they're going to even have a job in 2021...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7518271&p=507637&hilit=GUI#p507637

I think i read something somewhere (could not find), that they hope to get something working around the new year. I would bet on a new version 12 when the scaling is coming. Probably in the direction of the end of next year.
Reason12, Win10

miscend

10 Nov 2020

I disable scaling with Reason. You get more screen real estate at the expense of smaller UI elements.

DecafDreams

10 Nov 2020

I just simply use standard DPI monitors only on my Reason set up. Problem solved. I won't be upgrading to a HiDPI setup until Reason supports it.

guitfnky

10 Nov 2020

my solution: just a really large 4k monitor (40-ish inches?)—everything looks about the same size it did on my old dual monitor 1080P setup at the same distance, but a LOT more screen area. still looking forward to the high res update though—would be nice to scale up another 10-20%.

and as long as you’re not going to be playing twitch shooter games on it, it’s kind of a waste to splurge for a “proper” 4K PC monitor at that size. decent 4K TVs are much more affordable, and the only real downside is having to turn the monitor on every time, which, I’ve oddly grown to actually like...weird. 🙃

craste

10 Nov 2020

Surely if Reason is turning 20 in November it makes sense to release the update which will provide the High Resolution scaling as 20 is in 20/20 which means perfect vision.

Reasons gone all 20/20 at 20.

I know, I should be in their marketing team.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

10 Nov 2020

Aquila wrote:
09 Nov 2020
Well, since that's pretty much exactly the truth: we're getting there. There's still a lot to do before I can comfortably say when it'll be done, but it's progressing well.

It's a big chunk of work because it includes many things. We're re-architecturing all of Reason to be GPU accelerated with a new graphics framework, designing how Reason and Rack Plugin will adapt to your resolution, preparing the Rack Extension build pipelines and distribution system, sorting out how compatibility between versions will work when REs have hi-res assets, re-making all Reason and native device assets that aren't already hi-res and so on. :)

I've seen some re-drawn native devices recently that look stellar, so I'm very much looking forward to it—just like you!

guitfnky

10 Nov 2020

see? don’t give up hope. :D just going to take time for them to get right—which I think most of us can be confident that they will.

antic604

10 Nov 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
10 Nov 2020
Well, since that's pretty much exactly the truth: we're getting there. There's still a lot to do before I can comfortably say when it'll be done, but it's progressing well.

It's a big chunk of work because it includes many things. We're re-architecturing all of Reason to be GPU accelerated with a new graphics framework, designing how Reason and Rack Plugin will adapt to your resolution, preparing the Rack Extension build pipelines and distribution system, sorting out how compatibility between versions will work when REs have hi-res assets, re-making all Reason and native device assets that aren't already hi-res and so on. :)
Ok, keeping my license then! Thanks :) :clap:

Now onto testing Live 11 beta :D
Music tech enthusiast.

Aquila

10 Nov 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
10 Nov 2020
Aquila wrote:
09 Nov 2020
Have I ever told you how much I love you? :lol:

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

10 Nov 2020

Aquila wrote:
10 Nov 2020
MattiasHG wrote:
10 Nov 2020

Have I ever told you how much I love you? :lol:
I'm pretty sure you haven't! As a public face of a company, you don't get that a lot. :puf_bigsmile:

Loque

10 Nov 2020

Sounds like really a lot to do and we know, it IS a lot to do. But it sounds promising. Crossing fingers that everything works well and fast 🤞
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

10 Nov 2020

so presumably this means that those of us with decent graphics cards will actually see a performance boost, now that the GPU will be handling graphics and not the COU—correct? I get pretty good performance already, but an additional bump would of course be super welcome. :D

• Information