GSI - VariSpeed - A Copicat IC400 software replica

Discuss VST stuff here!
PhutureD

09 Nov 2020

From the website:

https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=47
GSi VariSpeed is a new plugin that GSi offers free of charge to everybody. It's a simulation of the WEM Copicat IC-400 Belt Drive VariSpeed model, the first tape echo machine made by WEM with a DC capstan motor capable of changing speed, thus varying the delay time. GSi VariSpeed replicates the hardware instrument “as is” with all its pros and cons, without any additional feature except the fact that it is digital and MIDI-controllable. This can be considered as the second chapter of a tribute to the genius of Mr. Charlie Watkins that GSi began back in 2008 with the release of the freeware "WatKat", which was a simulation of the "Custom Copicat"

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2020

Excellent. Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ksniod

09 Nov 2020

Sounds good, thanks for the heads up

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2020

If anyone gets a chance to try it could you write what you think of it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Lotuz2019

09 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
09 Nov 2020
If anyone gets a chance to try it could you write what you think of it.
If you like tape delays with character, then it's definitely worth trying.

The manual says:
Everything is pretty self-explanatory. Here are a few things worth noticing:
– it's a simulation of a tape delay built and marketed during the seventies, so
don't expect high fidelity

– the tape produces hum and hiss, this can't be disabled

– it can easily reach a state of self-oscillation (when the feedback is too high) and
distort the sound in a transistor-fashioned way

– it's also worth noticing that the real unit is way more aggressive when it comes
to noise and distortion... we tried to keep it usable

– not to forget that the real unit can change sound and behavior in time, as the
tape loop degrades itself until becoming unusable

– of course there's no host tempo sync

– since all imperfections have been simulated, you'll notice that the tape “slips”
when the junction passes around the capstan, and you'll probably also notice
that the tape speed isn't really stable

– the tone knob works reversed: turn clockwise to darken the sound
Like the hardware delay you can't tweak VariSpeed that much. It's free, cool, yet limited.

dvdrtldg

09 Nov 2020

Worth mentioning that it requires internet connection - GSi gathers data regarding its performance, which may or may not be a deal breaker

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
09 Nov 2020
Worth mentioning that it requires internet connection - GSi gathers data regarding its performance, which may or may not be a deal breaker
Now that can’t be good. Where did you read that?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dvdrtldg

10 Nov 2020

It's in the Terms & Conditions as part of the install process - I usually don't bother reading, I just go ahead and tick the box. But this time something caught my eye

I went ahead and installed anyway, not too worried about it. But others might prefer to give it a miss

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Nov 2020
It's in the Terms & Conditions as part of the install process - I usually don't bother reading, I just go ahead and tick the box. But this time something caught my eye

I went ahead and installed anyway, not too worried about it. But others might prefer to give it a miss
Ok. Thanks. In that case...is it worth installing? Any good?
I guess most VSTs (even Reason) ping the server to see if there’s an update available.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

10 Nov 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Nov 2020

Thanks for that info. I think this is illegal in the EU. I avoid this vendor.
Reason12, Win10

Lotuz2019

10 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
10 Nov 2020
is it worth installing? Any good?
I think it is. VariSpeed is a nice (slightly worn) sounding delay.

dvdrtldg

10 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
10 Nov 2020
I guess most VSTs (even Reason) ping the server to see if there’s an update available.
I really like it. It's pretty simple, they've gone with the primitive weirdness of the hardware and the result is a delay with minimal features but loads of character

You could probably get the same basic results with other plugins - it sounds a bit like a very stripped-back version of Audio Thing's OuterSpace - but when you start automating the parameters it really comes into its own, lots of creative potential

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Nov 2020
MrFigg wrote:
10 Nov 2020
I really like it. It's pretty simple, they've gone with the primitive weirdness of the hardware and the result is a delay with minimal features but loads of character

You could probably get the same basic results with other plugins - it sounds a bit like a very stripped-back version of Audio Thing's OuterSpace - but when you start automating the parameters it really comes into its own, lots of creative potential
I’ve actually got my eye on Outer Space for Black Friday. See what the deal is.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Lotuz2019

10 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
10 Nov 2020

Outer Space is a very good tape delay, but don't expect it to sound very lofi. If you want lofi, then Echo Cat might be more your thing.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2020

Lotuz2019 wrote:
10 Nov 2020
MrFigg wrote:
10 Nov 2020

Outer Space is a very good tape delay, but don't expect it to sound very lofi. If you want lofi, then Echo Cat might be more your thing.
I tried echo cat but I really didn’t like. Looking for something nearer a Roland.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Lotuz2019

10 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
10 Nov 2020
I tried echo cat but I really didn’t like. Looking for something nearer a Roland.
Definitely try Outer Space then. :thumbs_up:

Lotuz2019

10 Nov 2020

:oops: GSi, the developer of VariSpeed, also has an RE-201 VST btw. Check that one out too:

https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=45

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2020

Lotuz2019 wrote:
10 Nov 2020
:oops: GSi, the developer of VariSpeed, also has an RE-201 VST btw. Check that one out too:

https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=45
Will do. Arturia have one too :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

danc

10 Feb 2021

Loque wrote:
10 Nov 2020
dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Nov 2020

Thanks for that info. I think this is illegal in the EU. I avoid this vendor.
I looked into this... GSI explain in the T&Cs before you begin using Varispeed that they collect data and what they use it for. The data they collect is:

1. OS name
2. CPU vendor & model, number of cores, speed
3. Memory size
4. Language and region
5. Screen resolution

No personal info is collected.

You can view GSI's explanation/justification of the data being collected here: https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=support#FAQ

Now for the legal bit...

Under EU regulation they need to state the following:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic ... llected_en
  • who your company/organisation is (your contact details, and those of your DPO if any);
    why your company/organisation will be using their personal data (purposes);
    the categories of personal data concerned;
    the legal justification for processing their data;
    for how long the data will be kept;
    who else might receive it;
    whether their personal data will be transferred to a recipient outside the EU;
    that they have a right to a copy of the data (right to access personal data) and other basic rights in the field of data protection (see complete list of rights);
    their right to lodge a complaint with a Data Protection Authority (DPA);
    their right to withdraw consent at any time;
    where applicable, the existence of automated decision-making and the logic involved, including the consequences thereof.
How do GSI fair then??? Not too bad... but not perfect...

They do not explicitly tell us this:
  • for how long the data will be kept;
    that they have a right to a copy of the data (right to access personal data) and other basic rights in the field of data protection
    right to lodge a complaint with a Data Protection Authority (DPA);
    right to withdraw consent at any time;
The last point is important - they don't tell us that we can ask for it to be removed - and I bet they don't have a formal process to achieve this (yes - that is me speculating).

Bottom line - I personally don't think the data they collect is anywhere near breaking any EU law... it certainly doesn't cross over into GDPR regs. Yes - they could tidy up some loose ends with telling us how long the data is stored for etc... but hardly a serious breach. Plus Varispeed is actually a pretty good emulation and it's FREE.
Check my Soundcloud:

• Information