VST Plugins Subforum: Waves Plugins & Aternatives

Discuss VST stuff here!
sitejax

27 Oct 2020

I like some of the Waves products but I don't care for it crashing in Reason and paying an annual fee.

With all of the posts scattered about waves plugins and some alternatives, would it be better to have a Subforum listing the waves products and alternatives?

michael.jaye

27 Oct 2020

Maybe a sticky for announcements on the never-ending Waves sales.

I don't think it needs a subforum just because you have had a bad experience and dislike them.

dvdrtldg

27 Oct 2020

I've never had a Waves plugin "crash in Reason", and I use them all the time. Not saying it can't happen, but it's not an inherent issue

There's no "annual fee". The Waves Update Plan is clearly explained on their website

sitejax

28 Oct 2020

RE: 'I don't think it needs a subforum just because you have had a bad experience and dislike them.'

One of the main updates in version 11.3 was improved compatibility with Waves plugins.
(https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... -released-)

I was still having problems so I kind of gave up on Waves and looked for others that did the same thing. If it isn't worth a subforum that's fine I thought others were in the same situation. I don't dislike there products.

RE: 'There's no "annual fee". The Waves Update Plan is clearly explained on their website'. With Waves products you are covered for a year before that ask you to pay to renew coverage. I was more talking about that.

guitfnky

28 Oct 2020

updating is only necessary if they introduce changes you're interested in. mostly unnecessary, unless you're the sort who feels the need to always have the latest and greatest.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

michael.jaye

28 Oct 2020

My reasoning was that even if WUP was an annual fee, and Waves plugs crashed all the time for most people, it still wouldn't warrant a new subforum. It would only make sense if there were subforums for every 'major' vst manufacturer.

miscend

28 Oct 2020

Can you describe your Waves crashing bug?

Boombastix
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2020

It could make sense to break VSTs into FX vs Instruments, but not by manuf. It would make it less than ideal as many manuf are so small, and it is a looooong list.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

sitejax

29 Oct 2020

miscend wrote:
28 Oct 2020
I would use the plugins just fine but then when I close the Reason file and reopen it I get the error that it is not working.

I replaced most of my Waves plugins with Fabfilter and psp. I was looking for a good Saturation and just got Softube tape to replace J37.
Now I'm looking for something to replace the Aural exciter.

miscend

29 Oct 2020

sitejax wrote:
29 Oct 2020
miscend wrote:
28 Oct 2020
I would use the plugins just fine but then when I close the Reason file and reopen it I get the error that it is not working.

I replaced most of my Waves plugins with Fabfilter and psp. I was looking for a good Saturation and just got Softube tape to replace J37.
Ok I dont have that issue with Waves plug-ins both in both win10 and Catalina. Have you tried contacting their support dept? I dont think it's an easy task to simply replace Waves plugins with ones from other vendors. For example J37 sounds very different from Softube Tape, so if you replace it in old song projects it will change the mix.

Are you running in Win10 by any chance? I've found Windows to be quite temperamental compared to OSX. You will sometimes get errors probably caused by the OS with plug-ins are that are otherwise pretty stable.

sitejax

01 Nov 2020

miscend wrote:
29 Oct 2020
sitejax wrote:
29 Oct 2020

Ok I dont have that issue with Waves plug-ins both in both win10 and Catalina. Have you tried contacting their support dept? I dont think it's an easy task to simply replace Waves plugins with ones from other vendors. For example J37 sounds very different from Softube Tape, so if you replace it in old song projects it will change the mix.

Are you running in Win10 by any chance? I've found Windows to be quite temperamental compared to OSX. You will sometimes get errors probably caused by the OS with plug-ins are that are otherwise pretty stable.
I'm running Win10. It's been a while since I used the Waves pluggins that I own. I will give it a try.

moalla

02 Nov 2020

I have the same errorproblem, when i reopen a Project, after updating or install some new vst the vst Scanner at reason startup shows error message „can‘t open/find waves shell“ reason doesn‘t start and i need to restart my win 10. I also often miss some Waves plugins in the Re browser, and i have to reinstall every Waves Plugin in the Waves Manager, so what‘s the Problem with this Waves, it stinks. At the end what is a real alternative for abbey road chambers reverb?
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

stillifegaijin

02 Nov 2020

I have never really liked Waves plugins. I don't like their cheesy website or their installation manager. Take it or leave it, to me it feels like buying plugins from Office Depot. Looking for alternatives to that? I can't go plugin to plugin cause honestly I don't care. But if you haven't checked-out Analog Obsession, well, it's my obsession. And no, I don't know the guy...I'm not associated with him at all except that I think that his work is amazing and the plugins run perfectly in Reason.

https://www.patreon.com/analogobsession

Oh...And they are WAAAAAAAAAY Cheaper than waves. Be a patron if you have a conscious, but even if you don't they are free!

sitejax

02 Nov 2020

moalla wrote:
02 Nov 2020
I have the same errorproblem, when i reopen a Project, after updating or install some new vst the vst Scanner at reason startup shows error message „can‘t open/find waves shell“ reason doesn‘t start and i need to restart my win 10. I also often miss some Waves plugins in the Re browser, and i have to reinstall every Waves Plugin in the Waves Manager, so what‘s the Problem with this Waves, it stinks. At the end what is a real alternative for abbey road chambers reverb?
UAD EMT250 is 50% off right now (https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/reverbs/emt-250.html)
or maybe one of the following:

Vahalla Vintage
Audio Damage ADverb
Sound Toys Little Plate
Kush Gold Plate
PSP 2445

sitejax

04 Nov 2020

stillifegaijin wrote:
02 Nov 2020
I have never really liked Waves plugins. I don't like their cheesy website or their installation manager. Take it or leave it, to me it feels like buying plugins from Office Depot. Looking for alternatives to that? I can't go plugin to plugin cause honestly I don't care. But if you haven't checked-out Analog Obsession, well, it's my obsession. And no, I don't know the guy...I'm not associated with him at all except that I think that his work is amazing and the plugins run perfectly in Reason.

https://www.patreon.com/analogobsession

Oh...And they are WAAAAAAAAAY Cheaper than waves. Be a patron if you have a conscious, but even if you don't they are free!
These plugins look interesting. I think that this deserves a separate topic post. I'm curious as to what others think.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2020

IIRC Analog Obsession was whipped together by a guy who didn't know DSP. Full of nasty bugs such as sudden high volume of digital distortion. Also there was nothing analog about it, just a name.

I have seen posts saying bugs have been fixed, but my advice is to be cautious and test that it works.

stillifegaijin

05 Nov 2020

Boombastix wrote:
04 Nov 2020
IIRC Analog Obsession was whipped together by a guy who didn't know DSP. Full of nasty bugs such as sudden high volume of digital distortion. Also there was nothing analog about it, just a name.

I have seen posts saying bugs have been fixed, but my advice is to be cautious and test that it works.
I've been using many of them regularly for months with no issues aside from the occasional very minor UI glitch like lights or switches not turning on or off the first click. No sudden bursts of volume or unwanted distortion. He also very regularly posts updates.

And I'm fairly certain most people discussing VST plugins are aware that they aren't analog by definition. But they are very useful analog simulations.

dvdrtldg

05 Nov 2020

I have a few Analog Obsession plugins, but I've had to give up on them since switching to OS Catalina

stillifegaijin

05 Nov 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
05 Nov 2020
I have a few Analog Obsession plugins, but I've had to give up on them since switching to OS Catalina
That's a bummer. What's the issue? Just another thing Catalina breaks?

I haven't moved to Catalina, all Mojave, because amongst other issues, it will break the interface I use live...Though, when is that ever gonna be needed again?

Boombastix
Competition Winner

06 Nov 2020

stillifegaijin wrote:
05 Nov 2020
I've been using many of them regularly for months with no issues aside from the occasional very minor UI glitch like lights or switches not turning on or off the first click. No sudden bursts of volume or unwanted distortion. He also very regularly posts updates.

And I'm fairly certain most people discussing VST plugins are aware that they aren't analog by definition. But they are very useful analog simulations.
Good if it works now, just don't use old versions. With "analog", I meant, it was not even close to "analog" emulation, but that might be a thing of the past too.

dvdrtldg

06 Nov 2020

stillifegaijin wrote:
05 Nov 2020
dvdrtldg wrote:
05 Nov 2020
That's a bummer. What's the issue? Just another thing Catalina breaks?
Yeah it just spits the dummy and won't load them. I didn't really want to move on from Mojave, but I had to buy a new MacBook this year so didn't have a choice. Have to say, though, after one or two initial problems I'm finding Catalina is fine with all my other plugins

juanescq

06 Sep 2022

Saludos
Greetings please I need help to install plugins in Reason 12, I get an error.

In Reason 9 it works fine for me, but when I install Reason 12 I have this problem

The error says:
"There were errors when inspecting some plugins. Check plugin status in the Manage Plugin Window"

EnochLight

06 Sep 2022

juanescq wrote:
06 Sep 2022
Saludos
Greetings please I need help to install plugins in Reason 12, I get an error.

In Reason 9 it works fine for me, but when I install Reason 12 I have this problem

The error says:
"There were errors when inspecting some plugins. Check plugin status in the Manage Plugin Window"

Mod note: the image you are attempting to share isn't formatted correctly - it's pointing to a file in your Google Drive. All embedded images need to link to an actual image with a *.jpg, *.png, or *.gif extension.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information