Ekssperimental Sounds Dub Preamp and Siren in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ekss
RE Developer

24 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
24 Oct 2020
Auryn wrote:
24 Oct 2020

I think it alerts to the presence of Rack Extension skeptics ;)
Tutt tutt! Det är ljudet av en snut.
you mean Tut Tut..! Tutt is something else.. :lol:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2020

ekss wrote:
24 Oct 2020
MrFigg wrote:
24 Oct 2020

Tutt tutt! Det är ljudet av en snut.
you mean Tut Tut..! Tutt is something else.. :lol:
Hahaha...tut tut. Ett par tuttar?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ravasb

24 Oct 2020

I appreciate Ekss explaining why the REs are constructed the way they are and the particular vision behind them.

Sterioevo

25 Oct 2020

ekss wrote:
24 Oct 2020

These two devices are in a extremely narrow niche, so I can see that many won't buy them :lol: - but I'm very happy you like the interface! ❤️
Both the siren and preamp are virtual emulations of classic sound system equipment - it's true that the preamp individual break outs are mono - sound systems almost always run in mono (often just one big stack of boxes). So the thought is that if you lack a hardware sound system preamp you can hook up the preamp separate outs to the sound interface, further on to the power amps (separate amps for bass, mids and tops). The X-overs are the frequencies where the signal splits, so you can tune the range to suite the speaker model.
For anyone interested in dub/sound system I highly recommend this documentary made by a friend some years ago:
https://fourthree.boilerroom.tv/film/musically-mad or: https://youtu.be/ym3YRo_m3HU (french subtitles)
Gives a great overview of the european/uk roots dub sound system culture featuring Ras Muffet, Russ Disciples, Ruben Addis, Iration Steppas, Channel One, King Shiloh, Stryda, Coxson, Mostec, I Natural and many more..

Loque is correct that it's nothing special with a siren - a simple one would be a oscillator and a LFO. In fact the two previous version (Mk1 & Mk2) was made with Thor in a combinator (you can check it out here: https://refills.ekss.se/) The special thing with a RE is that you can design it just the way you want, number of knobs, buttons, character of the sound, define ranges, set modes etc...
The lack of CV is because that if you want a dub siren you'd probably want it to sound as a dub siren. Pitch can be controlled via Note CV - if you'd want to control anything else it's always possible to stick it in a combinator and control any parameter with CV, but I regard that as edge cases and for special need like that it might be better to just use Thor or another synth.

Thanks for all the appreciation - there will come a couple of more devices soon that are more versatile and speaks to a wider range of producers. First one will probably be out monday!
Congratulations, nice work. I am trying to keep up with the EKSS releases, saving my pennies....

Broadly speaking, I think it is a missed opportunity for developers NOT to include a small number most frequently accessed parameters as CV inputs. This makes a BIG difference in terms of immediacy when working in creative mode. It also extends the limitations of the combinator.

ekss
RE Developer

25 Oct 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
25 Oct 2020
ekss wrote:
24 Oct 2020

These two devices are in a extremely narrow niche, so I can see that many won't buy them :lol: - but I'm very happy you like the interface! ❤️
Both the siren and preamp are virtual emulations of classic sound system equipment - it's true that the preamp individual break outs are mono - sound systems almost always run in mono (often just one big stack of boxes). So the thought is that if you lack a hardware sound system preamp you can hook up the preamp separate outs to the sound interface, further on to the power amps (separate amps for bass, mids and tops). The X-overs are the frequencies where the signal splits, so you can tune the range to suite the speaker model.
For anyone interested in dub/sound system I highly recommend this documentary made by a friend some years ago:
https://fourthree.boilerroom.tv/film/musically-mad or: https://youtu.be/ym3YRo_m3HU (french subtitles)
Gives a great overview of the european/uk roots dub sound system culture featuring Ras Muffet, Russ Disciples, Ruben Addis, Iration Steppas, Channel One, King Shiloh, Stryda, Coxson, Mostec, I Natural and many more..

Loque is correct that it's nothing special with a siren - a simple one would be a oscillator and a LFO. In fact the two previous version (Mk1 & Mk2) was made with Thor in a combinator (you can check it out here: https://refills.ekss.se/) The special thing with a RE is that you can design it just the way you want, number of knobs, buttons, character of the sound, define ranges, set modes etc...
The lack of CV is because that if you want a dub siren you'd probably want it to sound as a dub siren. Pitch can be controlled via Note CV - if you'd want to control anything else it's always possible to stick it in a combinator and control any parameter with CV, but I regard that as edge cases and for special need like that it might be better to just use Thor or another synth.

Thanks for all the appreciation - there will come a couple of more devices soon that are more versatile and speaks to a wider range of producers. First one will probably be out monday!
Congratulations, nice work. I am trying to keep up with the EKSS releases, saving my pennies....

Broadly speaking, I think it is a missed opportunity for developers NOT to include a small number most frequently accessed parameters as CV inputs. This makes a BIG difference in terms of immediacy when working in creative mode. It also extends the limitations of the combinator.
There are lots of room on the back panel - so if there are many requests for CV jacks it could possibly be added in an update. :)

ravasb

25 Oct 2020

For $39 this just needs more creative possibilities. I am happy to buy a limited niche sound that reflects the developer's vision, but at that price it needs to be able to help me with my vision of the sound in an accessible way. If I already have to put it in a combinator to get the sounds I want, it just is not worth it, since as you mentioned earlier, I could just use Thor.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2020

ravasb wrote:
25 Oct 2020
For $39 this just needs more creative possibilities. I am happy to buy a limited niche sound that reflects the developer's vision, but at that price it needs to be able to help me with my vision of the sound in an accessible way. If I already have to put it in a combinator to get the sounds I want, it just is not worth it, since as you mentioned earlier, I could just use Thor.
Erik just said in the previous post that he’s open to suggestions. Floor’s open.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ravasb

25 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
25 Oct 2020
ravasb wrote:
25 Oct 2020
Erik just said in the previous post that he’s open to suggestions. Floor’s open.
This is my adding on to a previous post about which CV inputs I was hoping he would add.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2020

ravasb wrote:
25 Oct 2020
MrFigg wrote:
25 Oct 2020

This is my adding on to a previous post about which CV inputs I was hoping he would add.
Cool. I’d guess that if enough people ask then he probably will :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

25 Oct 2020

For EKSSBOX Mk3 i think those CV would make sense:
* Trigger input
* Rate, Depth, Decay and Filter input (modulation, not overwrite)
* Volume input would be nice too
* An output for the current LFO (so i could sync another device with it)
* Be able to define PB range (maybe on the backside)

Everything on this list would be too much, but might be interesting as well:
* Overwrite inputs for LFO
* Modulation for everything left from first list

Since this seem to be a stereo device, some kind of Detune control would be nice and also a stereo LFO (Phase offset, prefereable modulatable :-D).

Anybody knows exactly, what "Mode" does?
Reason12, Win10

ravasb

25 Oct 2020

What Loque said.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2020

It’s a dub siren. Not a synth hahahaha.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ravasb

25 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
25 Oct 2020
TBH for $9 I would be on board with something so limited. Not for $39. Also, part of what I like about REs is the ability to do things beyond what it says on the tin.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2020

ravasb wrote:
25 Oct 2020
MrFigg wrote:
25 Oct 2020
TBH for $9 I would be on board with something so limited. Not for $39. Also, part of what I like about REs is the ability to do things beyond what it says on the tin.
Put it through the dub preamp :):):).
What I love about this thread is you KNOW you want it hahaha. :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ravasb

25 Oct 2020

I have zero intention of buying it as it is now. I am merely giving the dev the courtesy of letting him know why. I have bought four other products of his, so I thought he would want to hear from a customer why I am not jumping on this one.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2020

ravasb wrote:
25 Oct 2020
I have zero intention of buying it as it is now. I am merely giving the dev the courtesy of letting him know why. I have bought four other products of his, so I thought he would want to hear from a customer why I am not jumping on this one.
Would you buy it if he adds all the CVS you’ve asked for?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ravasb

25 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
25 Oct 2020
ravasb wrote:
25 Oct 2020
I would.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2020

ravasb wrote:
25 Oct 2020
MrFigg wrote:
25 Oct 2020

I would.
Good choice :):):):).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

rorystorm

27 Oct 2020

I just got the dub preamp.
It's really, really good.

Re8et
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2020

Loque wrote:
23 Oct 2020
For what are Sirens good? Isnt it just a pitch modulated sound? What makes this Siren special? I must miss something here...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: to attract attention for sure :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

phithegoldenratio

04 Nov 2020

lovely device, has not left my rack since its release.
one thing. there may be a problem with the FX sends reacting. when I open a project with the Dub Preamp innit - previously saved, there is no sound sent through the FX sends (of the MidHigh+High) even when the dial is like 70% up... needs a full sweep of the knob from 0 to 100 and then it behaves normal.

ekss
RE Developer

04 Nov 2020

phithegoldenratio wrote:
04 Nov 2020
one thing. there may be a problem with the FX sends reacting. when I open a project with the Dub Preamp innit - previously saved, there is no sound sent through the FX sends (of the MidHigh+High) even when the dial is like 70% up... needs a full sweep of the knob from 0 to 100 and then it behaves normal.

That's weird, I will look into it!
Thanks for reporting!
Last edited by ekss on 04 Nov 2020, edited 1 time in total.

phithegoldenratio

04 Nov 2020

ekss wrote:
04 Nov 2020
phithegoldenratio wrote:
04 Nov 2020

Thats weird, i will look into it!
Thanks for reporting!
my pleasure. such cool dubby devices!!!

upon checking again, Line ins seem not to show that behaviour, just HM+TOP sends.

Re8et
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2020

I pushed the button. The Dub Preamp+Siren+Tape Echo combo is a killer combo.
Now I just have to wait for the contest to finish because the ES400 is the last addiction.

The feedback lines are just magic. It really seems like an analog mixer line send inside there.
More stuff like this please!

phithegoldenratio

18 Nov 2020

Re8et wrote:
17 Nov 2020
I pushed the button. The Dub Preamp+Siren+Tape Echo combo is a killer combo.
Now I just have to wait for the contest to finish because the ES400 is the last addiction.

The feedback lines are just magic. It really seems like an analog mixer line send inside there.
More stuff like this please!
agreeeed! add spring reverb and it is like having all the magick tools of the golden classic dub sounds at hand! :mrgreen:

• Information