Which RE would you like to punch?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Boombastix
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2020

Kompulsion. Was gonna use it for 16ch drum programming. But then you cannot slide the timing to offset claps and hi hats. It also defaults to an odd note value so it won't match Kong. Asked dev many times to fix it, but guess it is abandoned by now.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

dvdrtldg

20 Oct 2020

I don't want to punch this one so much as kick it to death in an underground car park

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
20 Oct 2020
I don't want to punch this one so much as kick it to death in an underground car park

That RE was so bad that I actually had Props remove it from my account.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dvdrtldg

20 Oct 2020

I actually use it from time to time, and the synth one. Mostly because it stops me feeling quite so stupid for buying them. They go OK as part of a layered sound with other instruments, or for backgroundy sort of stuff. But yeeesh, that UI

zoidkirb

20 Oct 2020

Scenic's front page deserves a punch, and Parsec 2 deserves a small punch because of its giant a/b knob and logo (with matching microscopic waveform windows)
Special shout out goes to Complex-1 , a fantastic semi modular synth for Reason's rack environment with a whole TWO cv ins/outs.

dvdrtldg

20 Oct 2020

I've punched Rob Papen's RGRE "guitar synth" a few times and it's pretty relaxing. Certainly more rewarding than trying to play it

joeyluck

20 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
20 Oct 2020
joeyluck wrote:
20 Oct 2020
kHs Trance Gate is one of my favorites and goto REs. What are you trying to use it for? What are you having issues with?
I'm not using it for anything. I just don't like it. I've tried my guitar through it and it just sounds so static. I mean I could use it as a "creative tremolo" but I've got the Uhbik one. I don't know...I just don't like it. Out of hundreds of REs I own I think that may be the only one I really, really don't like.
Are you using the envelope and mix knob at all? I would try a slower attack and longer release and adjust the mix maybe somewhere between 50% and 80%?

To each their own though. I don't see what there's not to like! Lol. It's a pattern gate, with an envelope, and mix control, and pattern bank, all in a nice compact and good looking interface.

One thing I wish it did do within one unit would be gate pan. I created a few Combinator patches (which I think are in the Toolbox ReFill?) which takes two Trance Gates and pans one to either side to create cool rhythms, bouncing from side to side.

Loque

20 Oct 2020

zoidkirb wrote:
20 Oct 2020
Scenic's front page deserves a punch, and Parsec 2 deserves a small punch because of its giant a/b knob and logo (with matching microscopic waveform windows)
Special shout out goes to Complex-1 , a fantastic semi modular synth for Reason's rack environment with a whole TWO cv ins/outs.
LOL, right 😂
Reason12, Win10

Aosta

20 Oct 2020

This thread has made me sift through the REs I have a little deeper and I forgot I owned SubBoomBass by Rob Papen. No idea how I came to own it (probably some bundle or sale) but I do remember loading it once and just looking at the GUI, having a few fiddles with some presets and backing away.
Though not on the levels of Polar for assaulting the eyes it is a little 'in your face' but after just having a play around with it I think I might give it a tentative hug rather than a punch.

I'm surprised no one has mention Snakebite because that snake GUI is quite punchable.
Tend the flame

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2020

joeyluck wrote:
20 Oct 2020
MrFigg wrote:
20 Oct 2020

I'm not using it for anything. I just don't like it. I've tried my guitar through it and it just sounds so static. I mean I could use it as a "creative tremolo" but I've got the Uhbik one. I don't know...I just don't like it. Out of hundreds of REs I own I think that may be the only one I really, really don't like.
Are you using the envelope and mix knob at all? I would try a slower attack and longer release and adjust the mix maybe somewhere between 50% and 80%?

To each their own though. I don't see what there's not to like! Lol. It's a pattern gate, with an envelope, and mix control, and pattern bank, all in a nice compact and good looking interface.

One thing I wish it did do within one unit would be gate pan. I created a few Combinator patches (which I think are in the Toolbox ReFill?) which takes two Trance Gates and pans one to either side to create cool rhythms, bouncing from side to side.
I thought about that too actually. The panning thing. That would make things more interesting. Is that toolbox refill free? Seem to remember it is. I’ll have a look...maybe there’s a future for me and trance gate. Guess we have to work on it :). Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2020

Aosta wrote:
20 Oct 2020
This thread has made me sift through the REs I have a little deeper and I forgot I owned SubBoomBass by Rob Papen. No idea how I came to own it (probably some bundle or sale) but I do remember loading it once and just looking at the GUI, having a few fiddles with some presets and backing away.
Though not on the levels of Polar for assaulting the eyes it is a little 'in your face' but after just having a play around with it I think I might give it a tentative hug rather than a punch.

I'm surprised no one has mention Snakebite because that snake GUI is quite punchable.
Aha!! Your anger seems more directed at the GUIs and when it come to RP devices I can feel your pain. I was however actually more talking about REs which just bug the hell it you in general. Trance Gate just annoys me. Joey has made me reevaluate our relationship so we’ll give It another try :).
Last edited by MrFigg on 21 Oct 2020, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dvdrtldg

21 Oct 2020

Aosta wrote:
20 Oct 2020
I love SubBoomBass! Anyone who wants to punch that exquisite instrument is going to have to get past me first

colonel_mustard

21 Oct 2020

Creativemind wrote:
20 Oct 2020
The worst GUI for me is Grain. It's the bit at the top where the sample is, the flags, and the overall display above that with the orange brackets is crap looking too. The flags bit though looks kiddish and don't like the white on all of the synth. Different colour themes may help but you'd still have them flags lol!
Agree about colour themes, but from the opposite direction. I love the Grain colour palette but can't stand Europa's dark red text thing, with bits of 'brushed metal' in there. It gives me a tension headache, every time I look at it.

Different users get on with different things, so options would be appreciated :)

stuk71

21 Oct 2020

I want to add PunchBD to the list please - buyer remorse here

Billy+

21 Oct 2020

IMG_2218.JPG
IMG_2218.JPG (176.47 KiB) Viewed 970 times
There's nothing advanced about it, it's never been useful, and no matter how much you poke slap punch or kick it, it just sits there happily looking at you waiting to be use. :twisted:

Ottostrom

21 Oct 2020

The one RE I would probably punch is the Proton Particle Accelerator.
Bought it during the user sample loading hype and has never successfully used it in a song.
Something about it is just so... cumbersome? Like it's trying to fight against your ideas.

esselfortium

21 Oct 2020

joeyluck wrote:
20 Oct 2020
kHs Trance Gate is one of my favorites and goto REs. What are you trying to use it for? What are you having issues with?
Same, it might be my most-used of the whole kHs set. It's super simple and effective, unlike Alligator I don't have to engage my brain much to get it to do what I want.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2020

esselfortium wrote:
21 Oct 2020
joeyluck wrote:
20 Oct 2020
Same, it might be my most-used of the whole kHs set. It's super simple and effective, unlike Alligator I don't have to engage my brain much to get it to do what I want.
What do you use It for? I really like your music but I wouldn’t have had you down as using that particular RE.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

21 Oct 2020

esselfortium wrote:
21 Oct 2020
joeyluck wrote:
20 Oct 2020
I still use Alligator for simple stuff, starting with my "flat gator" patch (because the default isn't actually flat, frequency response wise).
But for anything beyond straight 16ths I just connect a gate to a gain control and "play" (record" my gate pattern. This gives dynamic control plus unlimited pattern lengths as I find myself gravitating towards 2-4 bar pattern lengths at a minimum for whatever reasons.

Which RE would I like to punch? If you count the ones that I find useful, it would be Saturation Knob which is simply just too big, and lack of output volume is baffling. So I'd like to "punch some sense" into that one (if that's even a thing?), because it's sonically quite useful otherwise. For REs I don't use, many of the sample based REs could win that title - just never got along with most of them on any level for some reason.
Selig Audio, LLC

chaosroyale

21 Oct 2020

Oh yeah, if we are gonna start ranting;

Synchronous and Alligator - why is that not ONE device with all the features???? And why is there not a simple gate sequencer on it as someone pointed out above. Those kinds of cheesy trance FX are *AT BEST* a convenient shortcut to sequencing your automation, so not having a sequencer on Alligator is a total fucking bust.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
21 Oct 2020
Those kinds of cheesy trance FX
That’s it. That’s the reason I want to punch it. Cheesy trance. Bang on!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

21 Oct 2020

I don't use it very often, but Alligator is great for coming up with weird stuff. I've never ended up with anything trance-related. like anything it all depends on how you approach it. 🙃
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
20 Oct 2020
I've punched Rob Papen's RGRE "guitar synth" a few times and it's pretty relaxing. Certainly more rewarding than trying to play it
Oh I forgot this one. I remember writing a song with this thing for a song challenge. RGRE is definitely punchable. Come to think about it, it's probably my least favorite RE I've ever tried. Doesn't sound anything like a real guitar. Well maybe if a robot played guitar. So stiff sounding. The only sounds that I found somewhat passable were presets that were so drenched in effects that it didn't sound anything remotely close to a guitar.

Rob Papen is a great developer otherwise but this one was a total flop imo.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2020

Aosta wrote:
20 Oct 2020
It doesn't deserve to be punched. Yes Snakebites GUI is pretty childish looking. But to me that's ok. After all music is supposed to be fun. Besides in one of my favorite tracks I only used Snakebite synths. It's a quirky synth. I like that. So I could never bring myself to punch it.

esselfortium

21 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 Oct 2020
esselfortium wrote:
21 Oct 2020

What do you use It for? I really like your music but I wouldn’t have had you down as using that particular RE.
Thanks. I usually reduce the steps to 2 with just a simple on/off pattern, and use it either as a guitar tremolo or as a fast pulse on rhythmic synths or pads. It's useful if you have a 16th-note bass part, like is common in synthwave, and you want to make it snappier in a different way than what you can get from ADSR adjustment in the synth itself. (I guess you can probably do something similar by just shortening every note in the sequencer, but this way is easier and also has a dry/wet control for extra finetuning!) Sometimes I'm pretty subtle with it, it can be useful for making a background part stand out a bit more without changing it too drastically.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

• Information