(AfroBass[Electro?] / FunkyHouse) Butterflies Alt Version

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
FLVZ

15 Oct 2020

Made a tune called Butterflies based on a tune that I entered in a competition here a while ago. This is the alternative (more commercial sounding?) version. Can't pin down the genre, any genres experts in the house?

Alternate Version:

Original Version preview:

Auryn

15 Oct 2020

Hey man, nice to see some new tuneage. Genres these days are anyone's guess. In the past I'd probably have put this in the IDM (=intelligent dance music) category, along with stuff like aphex, squarepusher, plaid etc. But there is also definitely an african influence. So I'm gonna go with intelligent congotronica.

Love the artwork too btw!
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

FLVZ

16 Oct 2020

Auryn wrote:
15 Oct 2020
Hey man, nice to see some new tuneage. Genres these days are anyone's guess. In the past I'd probably have put this in the IDM (=intelligent dance music) category, along with stuff like aphex, squarepusher, plaid etc. But there is also definitely an african influence. So I'm gonna go with intelligent congotronica.

Love the artwork too btw!
Funny you say that acutally. I've had ideas of making Tribal Glitch based on the actual original version (which I assume is the one you're calling congatronica :lol: . Made Intelligent Afro Bass/House (IAB/IAH) could be a thing! Yeah the artwork is awesome, the original track was actually inspired by the fashion designer who ended graphic designing the cover art for me because the music resonated so well with her pocket square designs. I spoke to her about her work and turned her words into music. I think my music is always based off something abstract when it comes together well.

Auryn

16 Oct 2020

Flavolous wrote:
16 Oct 2020
Funny you say that acutally. I've had ideas of making Tribal Glitch based on the actual original version (which I assume is the one you're calling congatronica :lol: . Made Intelligent Afro Bass/House (IAB/IAH) could be a thing! Yeah the artwork is awesome, the original track was actually inspired by the fashion designer who ended graphic designing the cover art for me because the music resonated so well with her pocket square designs. I spoke to her about her work and turned her words into music. I think my music is always based off something abstract when it comes together well.
Yeah I listened to the original version too... I use the term Congotronica because the first CD that I ever heard that combined (traditional, sub-saharan) African music with eletronic music was called "Congotronics 2 - Buzz n Rumble in the Urban Jungle" (highly recommended btw) and since then anything that vaguely sounds like that gets termed "congotronica" over here. Anyway, there's echos of that style in most of your stuff, but your style is still mostly your own which is :thumbs_up:
Any Flavolous albums/compilations we can listen to?
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-

FLVZ

18 Oct 2020

Auryn wrote:
16 Oct 2020
Yeah I listened to the original version too... I use the term Congotronica because the first CD that I ever heard that combined (traditional, sub-saharan) African music with eletronic music was called "Congotronics 2 - Buzz n Rumble in the Urban Jungle" (highly recommended btw) and since then anything that vaguely sounds like that gets termed "congotronica" over here. Anyway, there's echos of that style in most of your stuff, but your style is still mostly your own which is :thumbs_up:
Any Flavolous albums/compilations we can listen to?
Very interesting, I found that album, looking forward to listening. Seems to be a stylistic compilation, so thanks for that recommendation. At the moment I've just changed my music alias to FLVZ and have remstered some of my old Flavolous stuff, so the most central point to find my stuff is probably Spotify at the minute. Theres also Bandcamp which mirrors Spotify, but things usually show up there before they show up anywhere else, links below:

Bandcamp: flvz.bandcamp.com

Spotify:

Auryn

18 Oct 2020

Flavolous wrote:
18 Oct 2020
Very interesting, I found that album, looking forward to listening. Seems to be a stylistic compilation, so thanks for that recommendation. At the moment I've just changed my music alias to FLVZ and have remstered some of my old Flavolous stuff, so the most central point to find my stuff is probably Spotify at the minute. Theres also Bandcamp which mirrors Spotify, but things usually show up there before they show up anywhere else, links below:
Actually, I think that this alternate version of Butterflies is the more "congotronic" (ie similar to the cd) one, it's got the distorted percussive sounds, the non-linear arrangement and the polyrhythmic aspect too. You'll get what I mean when you listen to the album (I hope). It's not really a stylistic compilation, it's mostly centered around a group called the Kasai Allstars from the Kasai region of Congo. They build their own electronic instruments, and have amazingly fun shows with 10 people together on stage or something.

I also like this version of Butterflies better than the original BTW, maybe slightly less accessible but more interesting/exciting from my point of view.

I checked out your bandcamp (don't use spotify much) and enjoyed #thisisvibro and Pixies

FLVZ

20 Oct 2020

Auryn wrote:
18 Oct 2020
Flavolous wrote:
18 Oct 2020
Actually, I think that this alternate version of Butterflies is the more "congotronic" (ie similar to the cd) one, it's got the distorted percussive sounds, the non-linear arrangement and the polyrhythmic aspect too. You'll get what I mean when you listen to the album (I hope). It's not really a stylistic compilation, it's mostly centered around a group called the Kasai Allstars from the Kasai region of Congo. They build their own electronic instruments, and have amazingly fun shows with 10 people together on stage or something.

I also like this version of Butterflies better than the original BTW, maybe slightly less accessible but more interesting/exciting from my point of view.

I checked out your bandcamp (don't use spotify much) and enjoyed #thisisvibro and Pixies
Yeah I listened to the album in full a couple of times. I can definitely see what you are hearing in terms of micro-similarities. Your feedback has been quite insightful so thanks. On a personal note, its taken me very long to actually even like the alt version of Butterflies incomparison to the original, so its very interesting to hear you prefer it also. It got played on the local regional radio station on BBC Radio Nottingham a few weeks ago, but the original was not selected for airplay. In some ways I'd argue the alt version is more commercial sounding, but I can see why you'd say the original is more accessible (not as in your face). But again thanks dude for paying such close attention to my stuff. Always love!

• Information