xLPG in the shop: VariPass Gate (Vactrol-based VCA/VCF/LPG) [by Turn2on]

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

30 Sep 2020

xLPG - new effect already in the shop:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... te-effect/

LPG - known as modular "Buchla-Bongo" natural decay effect.
Any LPG – is a Low pass gate effect, which can be used to produce various tuned percussion sounds such as a congas, bongos, steel drums, marimba, plucks, etc.

xLPG is not just a simple LowPass Gate, it is a VariPass Gate effect which can be used as a Multimode Gate with various filter modes (LowPass Gate, BandPass Gate, HighPass Gate, State-Variable Gate and also Comb Gate effect).

Vactrols (optocouplers) lie at the heart of the LPG and help to create natural sounding decay. xLPG includes 9 internal types of Vactrols, each with their own individual characters.
xLPG can be used as both a simple VCA (amplifier) or as a multimode filter (VCF). Its main use however is as a very unique Vactrol based VariPass effect with 9 custom Vactrol modes.

This however is not all, the device includes four Gate modes:

- VPG (VariPass Gate). When the OFFSET knob is set to 0% the gate is fully open. When set to 100% the gate is fully closed. In this mode, as the OFFSET knob is dialed from 0-100%, the filter opens and at the same time the VCA increases the Vactrol processed signal to 0dB.
- MDF (Mid Feedback Gate). This mode works in the same way as the VPG mode, but adds decay feedback when the OFFSET knob is set near to 50%.
- FOG (Full Open Gate). In this mode the device works in an inverse fashion to VPG mode. When the OFFSET knob is set to 0% the gate is fully closed. When set to 100% the gate is fully open. Dialing the OFFSET knob from 0-100% results in a linear increase of the main signal coupled with a corresponding reduction of the Vactrol-processed signal.
- VPGQ (VariPass EQ). This mode adds only EQ charatcers of the Vactrols (not creating decay).
xLPG is a modern effect processor which can be used to create natural sounding rhythmic percussive sounds. Experimenting is highly encouraged.
LPG processes signals only when it recieves an active control signal. This can be done in three ways: Using CV Trigger input (like a real modular), by Sidechain audio input or by the TRIGGER button. The main parameter of the device is the OFFSET knob which controls the Filter, VCA or LPG level. When in BOTH mode both filter and VCA operate at the same time. This is what is usually referred to as a LowPass Gate.

===============
MANUAL: PDF
===============

Last edited by turn2on on 30 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

30 Sep 2020

Looks interesting. Probably the first standalone LPG in the shop.

Can it be triggered via MIDI? So i can put it into a Combinator with a synth. If not, i need to make a workaround.
Reason12, Win10

turn2on
RE Developer

30 Sep 2020

Right now possible to triggering:
- by Trigger button (possible to automate / remote it)
- by CV Trigger Input (mm, may be try to connect by CV - some players)
- by Sidechain input

If this is really needed, we try to add (any note key creating the trigger signal)

Loque

30 Sep 2020

turn2on wrote:
30 Sep 2020
Right now possible to triggering:
- by Trigger button (possible to automate / remote it)
- by CV Trigger Input (mm, may be try to connect by CV - some players)
- by Sidechain input

If this is really needed, we try to add (any note key creating the trigger signal)
Its ok. I guess i will use it with some trigger generater in any way and also can use the RPG8 as usual.
Reason12, Win10

Re8et
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2020

Wow, nice, I'll try it!

DJMaytag

03 Oct 2020

Loque wrote:
30 Sep 2020
Its ok. I guess i will use it with some trigger generater in any way and also can use the RPG8 as usual.
It’s how they’re typically used in the real world. I have a Serge VCFQ filter with a “ping” input to achieve a LPG effect, and one dedicated LPG (Noise Engineering Sinc Bucina). I use a WMD Metron to trigger both of them.

ravasb

16 Oct 2020

I think I would be more interested if there was also a way to trigger the bypass, or if it had a wet/dry mixer.

turn2on
RE Developer

16 Oct 2020

Did you talk about triggering bypass - like a momentary button mode of Bypass (now it work as on/off), or additionally triggering by CV input?
Dry/Wet usually not used at real lpgs

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2020

Just been thinking. Aren’t Vactrols a component used in the original Uni-Vibes?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ravasb

17 Oct 2020

turn2on wrote:
16 Oct 2020
Did you talk about triggering bypass - like a momentary button mode of Bypass (now it work as on/off), or additionally triggering by CV input?
Dry/Wet usually not used at real lpgs
Thank you for responding. Love your work and own almost all of it. I would love a cv trigger for the soft bypass, and even if it is not authentic I would still prefer a wet/dry mixer. Cheers.

ravasb

17 Oct 2020

i see the intro price is already over. I will keep an eye on this and see if it develops in ways I find useable. I think it is a cool effect, but I just have not yet found my sweet spot with it.

Marc64

18 Oct 2020

Can't Alligator do the same stuff and more?

turn2on
RE Developer

19 Oct 2020

Marc64 wrote:
18 Oct 2020
Alligator:
- not include sound of vactrols (work only as filter and amp, not the same). So it not work like a Vactrol-based VCA or Vactrol-based filter..
Im not talk about vactrol-based Comb filter Gate or SVF Gate.
- not have ready one knob control of Amp/Filter as both with non-linear progression
- not have Pass Gate modes as VariPass Gate / Mid Feedback Gate / Full Open Gate / VariPass Equalisation.... This is a alternative modes to the classic LPG. Not just changing the filter type.

At all, Alligator is a great multiband processor with gate. It can open gate with filter, and Amp settings, but it not from Buchla sound world and been created for multiband effects and gate-rhytms for 3 bands.
xLPG about modular LPGs.

Of course, Alligator have LP gate input, and with combinator you can enable few settings at one knob. Its absolutely digital presntation of the filter + amp decay. But its un-natural decay character, that not touch natural decay sound created by Vactrols.

If we add to our RE - Sabogtage multiband fx the gate opening, it can be the same as a Alligator (but it also repeat only idea of fxs on the bands that aligator not have), but not the curent xLPG RE.

And about "more". Yes, Alligator can more, in its own way. xLPG can do really more in own way. If you find that they include LP/HP/BP flters, amp env settings, its not say that Alligator can make more, because this is a special modular effect coming from vactrol based LPGs (every vactrol not sound the same)..

Marc64

20 Oct 2020

turn2on wrote:
19 Oct 2020
Marc64 wrote:
18 Oct 2020
Alligator:
- not include sound of vactrols (work only as filter and amp, not the same). So it not work like a Vactrol-based VCA or Vactrol-based filter..
Im not talk about vactrol-based Comb filter Gate or SVF Gate.
- not have ready one knob control of Amp/Filter as both with non-linear progression
- not have Pass Gate modes as VariPass Gate / Mid Feedback Gate / Full Open Gate / VariPass Equalisation.... This is a alternative modes to the classic LPG. Not just changing the filter type.

At all, Alligator is a great multiband processor with gate. It can open gate with filter, and Amp settings, but it not from Buchla sound world and been created for multiband effects and gate-rhytms for 3 bands.
xLPG about modular LPGs.

Of course, Alligator have LP gate input, and with combinator you can enable few settings at one knob. Its absolutely digital presntation of the filter + amp decay. But its un-natural decay character, that not touch natural decay sound created by Vactrols.

If we add to our RE - Sabogtage multiband fx the gate opening, it can be the same as a Alligator (but it also repeat only idea of fxs on the bands that aligator not have), but not the curent xLPG RE.

And about "more". Yes, Alligator can more, in its own way. xLPG can do really more in own way. If you find that they include LP/HP/BP flters, amp env settings, its not say that Alligator can make more, because this is a special modular effect coming from vactrol based LPGs (every vactrol not sound the same)..
Cool,, thanks for explaining the difference :) :thumbs_up:

rorystorm

06 Mar 2021

I just got this and - I don't often do this - but I have to say it's freakn amazing. Really nice piece of work.

DJMaytag

31 Mar 2021

Just added to my subscription last night, and am playing around with it now. It's kind of a pain that there's not an audio envelope follower to trigger it, but that's what CV Player Tap is for, right?

turn2on
RE Developer

31 Mar 2021

DJMaytag, did you try Sidechain Audio input of external signal for triggering? Or CV In?
LPG effects usually working in eurorack / Buchla world by using two signals - main signal and trigger signal

XLPG support:
- manual triggering by button at front panel
- triggering by CV TRIG input signal
- triggering by external Audio input signal (side chain input).

May be I not understand what you mean / need?
May be you talk about midi note keys triggering?
You always can use external midi controller Remote Mapping for any knob/button/pad

DJMaytag

31 Mar 2021

turn2on wrote:
31 Mar 2021
DJMaytag, did you try Sidechain Audio input of external signal for triggering? Or CV In?
LPG effects usually working in eurorack / Buchla world by using two signals - main signal and trigger signal
Yeah, I know... but in that world, you have an actual gate/trigger signal from your sequencer. When using a player device to sequence a synth that you want to pass through the LPG, there's no readily available trigger source... unless you load in CV Player Tap to derive a gate signal to plug into the LPG trigger input.

turn2on
RE Developer

31 Mar 2021

I'm trying to understand your real task and what instruments do you need for this...
What must create trigger signal? Player? Midi Note or something else?

As example: Sequences Player. Send by CV1 Output Gate signal to xLPG CV Trig In. Seqnuences play your sequence, CV send Trigger signal.

If you need another Player, like a DualArpeggio (that not have any CV outs), yes, CV Tap Gate output help to send CV to CV Trigger..
But why you try to search CV Gate source from Players that not have gate outputs, and this is a problem of FX device?))
I'm really try to understand what you need. :puf_smile: May be write more and if this interesting, I try to realise it.
Now you have CV/Audio inputs for triggering.
Players is a option in Reason, and there possible to extract as you said gate signal with free CV Tap.

DJMaytag

31 Mar 2021

turn2on wrote:
31 Mar 2021
I'm trying to understand your real task and what instruments do you need for this...
What must create trigger signal? Player? Midi Note or something else?
Player. I primarily use Robotic Bean's Sequences device, which has no CV/gate output. I have CV Player Tap to derive a gate to use with xLPG. Using the 2 CV outputs externally doesn't really work (I often use them internally), so CV Player Tap will have to be what I use.

I will have to sit down with the manual tonight and try to understand everything with this.

DJMaytag

31 Mar 2021

turn2on wrote:
31 Mar 2021
But why you try to search CV Gate source from Players that not have gate outputs, and this is a problem of FX device?))
I'm really try to understand what you need. :puf_smile: May be write more and if this interesting, I try to realise it.
Now you have CV/Audio inputs for triggering.
Players is a option in Reason, and there possible to extract as you said gate signal with free CV Tap.
Often times I like to use other filters, notably the PMS-20, instead of a synth's own filter. Usually I do this with Malstrom, where I pan OSC A & B opposites each other via the spread option, using comb filters set differently for Filter A & B. This gives a nice stereo spread and motion, if set correctly. Then, I'd want to have a filter after Malstrom, hence the PMS-20 or now xLPG as options for external filtering.

FWIW, FabFilter Volcano is a VST filter that has an envelope follower, which detects the audio and derives a trigger/gate signal from the incoming audio. That gate/trigger is then used to fire off the Volcano's internal ADSR to shape the filter. That's why I was asking if there was such a thing onboard xLPG.

turn2on
RE Developer

31 Mar 2021

Ok. I understand you. But you have ready solutions in Reason for this. Open attached Combinators:

1. Sequences Player already have CV Gate outputs. By CV1 output you can triggering xLPG with CV TRIGG input. Its what you want, if using SEQUENCES by RB.
Absolutely working solution if you user of Sequences.

2. You talk about triggering xLPG by main audio signal, not by second signal. Personally I have 6 LPG modules in my eurorack and always triggering it by another second signal. Triggering main signal by itself not have really magic results. But its of course possible if needed.
I understand you need EnvFollower of main signal to repeat triggering signal.
But look at Sidechain input of xLPG at rear panel, please. And set at front panel of xLPG Triggering SRC: Sidechain.
Last what you need, audio output from your synth, must be connected to Audio Splitter Utility. This help to split signal for two same signals. One you connect to main audio input of xLPG. And second copy audio signal - connect to Sidechain input..
So, yes. Now you have EnvFollower results with main signal copy. Now its already work like a EnvFollower (Sidechain there is a EnvFollower). This is the same. Just use that signal that you want (External second signal, or copy of the main signal).

Combinator files:
xLPG Combis.zip
(6.64 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

DJMaytag

01 Apr 2021

turn2on wrote:
31 Mar 2021
2. You talk about triggering xLPG by main audio signal, not by second signal. Personally I have 6 LPG modules in my eurorack and always triggering it by another second signal. Triggering main signal by itself not have really magic results. But its of course possible if needed.
I understand you need EnvFollower of main signal to repeat triggering signal.
My first experience with modular was with an original Korg MS-20, back in the 90's (before the reissues & mini versions), and that had an envelope follower section for deriving a gate signal to trigger the synth. My first Eurorack module? Doepfer A-119.
turn2on wrote:
31 Mar 2021
But look at Sidechain input of xLPG at rear panel, please. And set at front panel of xLPG Triggering SRC: Sidechain.
I guess I don't understand the point of having a side chain input as the trigger source. Why not just have a front panel button to allow for the input to be the trigger source, instead of having to use a Spider and split the signal? You have two pairs of audio inputs, so why not just merge them to allow the main input to trigger the LPG?

turn2on
RE Developer

01 Apr 2021

Not hard to make update for this, what you want in xLPG.
But its not true using of LPG effect at all, as I think..

I already make it in beta, and in most variations - I have not perfect results, because sometimes sound is cropped down by various characters of the main signal after EnvFollower.

One signal is coming as main sound. Second signal triggering it from silence and create decay envelope. Its what for we like LPGs. Classical LPG.

Look at eurorack LPG based on Vactrols, optocouplers. Look at realisations in Reaktor. So look at Buchla.
One signal triggering another. You can triggering LPG by the same copy of signal, of course.

Using one signal as main line that you triggering from silence, by itself - can work. But its not a real Buchla-decay results, that we love. You are prefer to be linked to the main signal waveform (for some reason, ok).
From a character of the signal, triggering signal by itself, we can produce near to LPG effects, but also it can drop level of sound or brake end of decay tails, you can listen some agressive sound cuts.

Just try it right now. With various sounds. You already have variants to test this:
- by CV triggering from CV Tap Player (Gate CV out)
- by splitting main signal with AudioSplitter utility to Main Inputs and to Sidechain.
And you can find, that results not good and stable. Because various waveforms of the main signal can affect to the results, by Env Follower with selected Threshold value.

So, I not think that is right idea to use method of triggering main signal by itself with LPGs. But it possible.
Did you try to realise it in eurorack with basic LPGs ? I can said, its working, but not perfect every time.
Nice for BD as example, and bad for another.

Anyway, we have Players with Gate CV output, to send CV trig signal, we have Sidechain input, and we have possibility to make update as addition of Env.Follower functionality, that: a) not classic method for LPGs effects, b) not perfect for many sounds.

I can create update by adding Env.Follower Source (selection from the front panel).
But really, I understand that this functionality is more experimental and not typical for LPG using..

turn2on
RE Developer

01 Apr 2021

So need to add, with envelope follower mode you not create the identical results as Trigger activity. Env follower adds signal intensity to the decay. If this is what you need, no problem, I can add it as update to xLPG. Just write it, because it’s ready in beta.

• Information