Scales & Chords Vs Scaler 2....

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jaeproduced

17 Oct 2020

Does anyone has scaler 2 that can honestly tell me if its worth buying scaler 2 or is scales & chords just as good?

Billy+

17 Oct 2020

They are two completely different things.

Scaler is going to give you access to a lot more, but if you're using it in Reason you don't have the ability for it to drive native devices.

I don't have scaler, I choose MiK Captain but ultimately your going to hit the same issue.

What do you want scaler for?
How do you see yourself using it?

stuk71

17 Oct 2020

They are both different animals tbh.

Scales and chords will help to keep you playing in the selected key, while Scaler2 will help you put chords down chords that work together and also offer a vast number of chord playing styles, all in a type of chord sequencer.

My only gripe with Scaler2 and Reason is that you can't add Scaler2 to another RE, or route midi to and from Scaler2. But its simple to drag midi clips over to your chosen RE.

edit - ninja'd by Billy

Billy+

17 Oct 2020

stuk71 wrote:
17 Oct 2020
They are both different animals tbh.

Scales and chords will help to keep you playing in the selected key, while Scaler2 will help you put chords down chords that work together and also offer a vast number of chord playing styles, all in a type of chord sequencer.

My only gripe with Scaler2 and Reason is that you can't add Scaler2 to another RE, or route midi to and from Scaler2. But its simple to drag midi clips over to your chosen RE.

edit - ninja'd by Billy
We have both said the same but as you have scaler I will let you cover it specifically but ultimately the issue is midi routing or the lack of it.

I don't have any of the following but they might be an option to consider

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... alematrix/
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... chordline/

jaeproduced

18 Oct 2020

So two things can you play chords in key using more then one hand unlike scales & chords meaning typically when you play a chord you are using two to four fingers on the right hand & one or two on the left at the same time. Scales & chords only plays 2-5 finger chords only on one side or hand can this be done in Scaler2 and is it Scaler 2 worth it due to it's limited reason capability?

stuk71

18 Oct 2020

I like Scaler2 but I admit I don't use it as much as I would like to due to integration issues with Reason. That said, I do use it for chord structure, style and planning, as it excels at this. There is a myriad of chord progressions in different musical styles from synthwave to classical. When I do use Scaler2 it's to show me what works with the chords I have already laid down in my track, as it will show suggestions, alternatives and progressions which is great for someone like me with just a 'passable' knowledge of music theory.

I would definitely use it more often if I could midi route it to say UVI's JP legacy* to be able to produce and hear huge chords played on a Jupiter 8... There is a work around of course, as Scaler2 can produce its own sounds, and it is also designed to be used as its own instrument (drop-down list of presets - 'felt piano' is actually very nice) Once a chord progression and/or play style has been recorded, its a case of dragging the Midi clip over to Antidote or Radical Piano etc - admittedly not as good as feeling the inspiration rise as you are noodling on your keyboard with your favourite patch.

Scaler2 is very deep when it comes to what it can do for you and how it can be set up, and to answer your question; you can split the keyboard (user defined) so that the lower keys are for playing chords and the higher keys to act as a the keyboard would normally - a great feature of this is it will also keep your right hand in key depending on what chords you are playing (but you would need to use it's own preset patches to play this live through Reason).

My own personal recommendation would be to watch a few clips on Youtube, and then get it on sale.. although I don't believe it is that expensive compared to most VST out there today. (remember Black Friday is just around the corner).

In all Reason Studios feedback questions my most requested update is for midi routing (not just for Scaler2) and I know that there is a great deal of other users on here that feel the same - fingers crossed that it is something that is being planned for a future update (there is currently a continuous live beta program). I have tested out Scaler2 in Ableton Live and it works and feels great... but Reason is my DAW of choice.

*I know it is all sample based - but it all sounds so damn good!

jaeproduced

18 Oct 2020

stuk71 wrote:
18 Oct 2020
I like Scaler2 but I admit I don't use it as much as I would like to due to integration issues with Reason. That said, I do use it for chord structure, style and planning, as it excels at this. There is a myriad of chord progressions in different musical styles from synthwave to classical. When I do use Scaler2 it's to show me what works with the chords I have already laid down in my track, as it will show suggestions, alternatives and progressions which is great for someone like me with just a 'passable' knowledge of music theory.

I would definitely use it more often if I could midi route it to say UVI's JP legacy* to be able to produce and hear huge chords played on a Jupiter 8... There is a work around of course, as Scaler2 can produce its own sounds, and it is also designed to be used as its own instrument (drop-down list of presets - 'felt piano' is actually very nice) Once a chord progression and/or play style has been recorded, its a case of dragging the Midi clip over to Antidote or Radical Piano etc - admittedly not as good as feeling the inspiration rise as you are noodling on your keyboard with your favourite patch.

Scaler2 is very deep when it comes to what it can do for you and how it can be set up, and to answer your question; you can split the keyboard (user defined) so that the lower keys are for playing chords and the higher keys to act as a the keyboard would normally - a great feature of this is it will also keep your right hand in key depending on what chords you are playing (but you would need to use it's own preset patches to play this live through Reason).

My own personal recommendation would be to watch a few clips on Youtube, and then get it on sale.. although I don't believe it is that expensive compared to most VST out there today. (remember Black Friday is just around the corner).

In all Reason Studios feedback questions my most requested update is for midi routing (not just for Scaler2) and I know that there is a great deal of other users on here that feel the same - fingers crossed that it is something that is being planned for a future update (there is currently a continuous live beta program). I have tested out Scaler2 in Ableton Live and it works and feels great... but Reason is my DAW of choice.

*I know it is all sample based - but it all sounds so damn good!
Gotcha I'll wait for Black Friday and I will also check out some videos 1 last question is Scaler 2 the best alternative to scales & chords or are there others?

deigm

19 Oct 2020

Is there a player device that can do key detection similar to how Scaler does? Can Delta do this?

edit: to answer your question jaeproduced there are lots of others including Captain Chords and Player devices like Scale Matrix and Chordline to name a few. Which is best will depend on your use case and preferences.

Billy+

19 Oct 2020

You forgot Sundog Song Studio

https://feelyoursound.com/sundog/

I went with Mixed in Keys.

• Information