PSYH - Kick Bass Commander in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Adabler
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2020

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... commander/
PSYH_KickBassCommander_Front_l8MpFMl.png.10000x10000_q85.png
PSYH_KickBassCommander_Front_l8MpFMl.png.10000x10000_q85.png (77.73 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
PSYH_KickBassCommander_Back_KEqNEUw.png.10000x10000_q85.png
PSYH_KickBassCommander_Back_KEqNEUw.png.10000x10000_q85.png (103.21 KiB) Viewed 1349 times

Kick Bass Commander is generaly designed around the well known Kick-Bass-Bass-Bass sequence mostly found in Psychedelic Trance.

Its purpose is to sequence your pre-made Kick and Bass samples in your track. With this device you can create a controlled/random path of how the Kick Bass sequence evolves.

It's a 2-slot sampler. two samples can be loaded in, preferably a Kick and Bass sample which are designed to work together.

It has a 32-step sequencer which can be devided in sections. Those sections can be linked to keys, or triggered by pulses.

It has separate outputs for Kick and Bass so they can be separately processed or sidechained if needed.

Each step has a triple CV-Out setting, which can send a pulse to one of the 32 CV-Outputs on the back. usefull for drums/oneshots or any accents in the sequence.

Built in Beat-Repeater for additional break diversion and this one can also be controlled with CV.

Nice, a drum and bass thing!
:reason: 12, Win10

antic604

16 Oct 2020

KBBB is the worst thing that happened to psychedelic goa trance at the brink of 2000. And someone made a device to make it even easier?! Good luck :D
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

EdGrip

16 Oct 2020

antic604 wrote:
16 Oct 2020
KBBB is the worst thing that happened to psychedelic goa trance at the brink of 2000. And someone made a device to make it even easier?! Good luck :D
Give me a track title. Name the beast so I know what to fear!

Auryn

17 Oct 2020

antic604 wrote:
16 Oct 2020
I have to agree here, I used to love psytrance before it all became so identical that I can't tell the tracks and artists styles apart from one another. Still, it's been the template for so long now (20 years!) that you can't really fault an RE developer for facilitating it.
EdGrip wrote:
16 Oct 2020
It all started (arguably) with Deedrah - Reload or 1200 Mics - 1200 Mics, pick your poison. But since then, pick any "mainstream" psytrance track.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Stygian Abyss

18 Oct 2020

EdGrip wrote:
16 Oct 2020
antic604 wrote:
16 Oct 2020
I think this summarizes everything ! :puf_bigsmile:

But, even if I totally agree with Antic604 and Auryn regarding "mainstream" psytrance (It's total garbage IMO...), I'll play the devil's advocate and add that a few tracks can be really lovely even if they're using ultra-repetitive bassline / kick structures, but only if all the rest is melodic and complex, which means that they're not standardized psytrance at all.

About the OP: it would be nice if Haaswerk could create some video demonstrations or tutorials for this RE and his other recent publishing, just to see if they could be useful outside the scope of "mainstream" psytrance - the short manual I've already read doesn't really help here.

Auryn

18 Oct 2020

Stygian Abyss wrote:
18 Oct 2020
But, even if I totally agree with Antic604 and Auryn regarding "mainstream" psytrance (It's total garbage IMO...), I'll play the devil's advocate and add that a few tracks can be really lovely even if they're using ultra-repetitive bassline / kick structures, but only if all the rest is melodic and complex, which means that they're not standardized psytrance at all.
I'll grant you this immediately, I mean before the "full-on takeover" there were also plenty of tracks with 16th basslines, but the big change came when the rolling bassline became the main "feature" of most tracks. It also marked a change where dance floor impact became more important than narrative in the music. Once the formula for most dance floor impact became established, there occured this "great regression towards the mean" where any sort of experimentation/cross-pollination with other genres and styles disappeared and the entire genre just turned inward on itself. Still frustrates me to this day.

But yeah, tons of good tracks were made with 16th basslines, these two tracks you pasted are great examples of tasteful psy, where the narrative/arrangement of the track is well done.

let me just post this one, from an amazingly talented Russian, in return and leave it at that :puf_bigsmile:

you could make amazing music like this too, with this very RE! just aim for the stars, not for the (full-on) template
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Stygian Abyss

20 Oct 2020

Auryn wrote:
18 Oct 2020
Once the formula for most dance floor impact became established, there occured this "great regression towards the mean" where any sort of experimentation/cross-pollination with other genres and styles disappeared and the entire genre just turned inward on itself. Still frustrates me to this day.
I couldn't agree more, this is such a fundamental point.
Auryn wrote:
18 Oct 2020
let me just post this one, from an amazingly talented Russian, in return and leave it at that :puf_bigsmile:
I'm more inclined toward oldscholl Goa and modern productions (Suntrip, Global Sect like labels) than to darker genres, even if I know and like a few artist such as Frantic Noise or Penta. I didn't know Psychosky, and immediately went to his Bancamp page after audition of the track you pasted. What I have heard so far from him is outstanding, thank you !

ravasb

20 Oct 2020

This might also have some uses beyond trance, because you could use any sample. I just don’t think it is priced right.

Re8et
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2020

Auryn wrote:
18 Oct 2020
Stygian Abyss wrote:
18 Oct 2020
I'll grant you this immediately, I mean before the "full-on takeover" there were also plenty of tracks with 16th basslines, but the big change came when the rolling bassline became the main "feature" of most tracks. It also marked a change where dance floor impact became more important than narrative in the music. Once the formula for most dance floor impact became established, there occured this "great regression towards the mean" where any sort of experimentation/cross-pollination with other genres and styles disappeared and the entire genre just turned inward on itself. Still frustrates me to this day.

But yeah, tons of good tracks were made with 16th basslines, these two tracks you pasted are great examples of tasteful psy, where the narrative/arrangement of the track is well done.

you could make amazing music like this too, with this very RE! just aim for the stars, not for the (full-on) template

I've been to a rave party in Berlin in 2009 of Psykovsky... what a talented guy.... I think it was in duo with an Italian guy called Ant that night.... plus DJane and others
Just freaking awesome kick. I don't know if he invented it, but I had anywhere heard anything like that before.
I copied his kickline with Redrum at the time and made a boom track.
My computer died in the rendering of the song :lol:

Re8et
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2020

Adabler wrote:
16 Oct 2020
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... commander/

PSYH_KickBassCommander_Front_l8MpFMl.png.10000x10000_q85.png

PSYH_KickBassCommander_Back_KEqNEUw.png.10000x10000_q85.png

Kick Bass Commander is generaly designed around the well known Kick-Bass-Bass-Bass sequence mostly found in Psychedelic Trance.

Its purpose is to sequence your pre-made Kick and Bass samples in your track. With this device you can create a controlled/random path of how the Kick Bass sequence evolves.

It's a 2-slot sampler. two samples can be loaded in, preferably a Kick and Bass sample which are designed to work together.

It has a 32-step sequencer which can be devided in sections. Those sections can be linked to keys, or triggered by pulses.

It has separate outputs for Kick and Bass so they can be separately processed or sidechained if needed.

Each step has a triple CV-Out setting, which can send a pulse to one of the 32 CV-Outputs on the back. usefull for drums/oneshots or any accents in the sequence.

Built in Beat-Repeater for additional break diversion and this one can also be controlled with CV.

Nice, a drum and bass thing!

Demo video please :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

• Information