Change pitch of samples without affecting speed

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
one one six

06 Aug 2018

Hey, is there a rack extension sampler or is it possible to playback a sample in a different pitch without affecting the playback speed? Like you can in Kontakt or Melodyne. I know it isnt possible with nnxt

Reasonable man

06 Aug 2018

If you convert it to a rex file by dragging the sample into the sequencer ....double click on it ....bounce to rex file. Rex file will now show in browser.
Open up a kong . Reset device. Drag the rex file onto pad 1. Click 'show drum and fx on kong and use the pitch setting on the Rex nurse sampler to transpose (at same speed)
Go to drum assaignment on Kong set drum assaignment on 1st four pads to 1. You now have 4 indenticle samples on first 4 pads of kong .
Change the pitch on 1 or all of em.

chimp_spanner

06 Aug 2018

one one six wrote:
06 Aug 2018
Hey, is there a rack extension sampler or is it possible to playback a sample in a different pitch without affecting the playback speed? Like you can in Kontakt or Melodyne. I know it isnt possible with nnxt
Grain is probably the best bet, depending on the length of the sample. Although it's not multi-zone. So it will only take you so far before the results start to sound unnatural. If you were really feeling inclined you could create a Combinator with several Grains for each key zone (but otherwise identical samples). But that might be a bit overkill. With a single Grain you can tempo sync and re-pitch a loop up to 8 bars long (or a free running sample of....way longer, isn't it something like 20 minutes?). I would love to see a sampler RE with something like Time Machine Pro though. Would really be a time saver!

one one six

12 Aug 2018

Cheers boys

Staarchylld

12 Aug 2018

Easier way to do it is drag your sampler in to the sequencer, click on the clip and in the tool bar above the sequencer there’s an option called transpose. I believe that’s what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nooomy

13 Aug 2018

one one six wrote:
06 Aug 2018
Nope there is no easy way (like Kontakt) to do it in Reason.

You could just get kontakt or melodyne as a vst and use it.

EdGrip

13 Aug 2018

You can re-pitch an audio clip using the transpose tool mentioned above, but I think what you're describing is a sampler with a time stretch mode. None of Reason's samplers have this option, although Grain might be able to do what you need.
Look at VST options.

HappyDalek

19 Oct 2019

I just got Serato Sampler 50% off at Plugin Boutique. Amazing tool that does many things but you can drag anything into it and it automatically matches tempo. The quality of the pitch shifting and tempo is staggering. I saw a video where they took a beat from 120 bpm to 20 bpm and it still sounded good. Plus it does so many great things and I got mine for $40 which is a little cheaper than Kontakt. I promise I have no connection to Serato but seriously, check it out on YouTube.
Oh, and Hi. I just joined. I left Reason at version 3. Just got 11 and I'm having so much fun with.

ChuckBob

17 Oct 2020

Wrong. Its actually really really easy in Reason. If you highlight an audio clip, at the top of the transport bar you will see one of the options you have is "transpose". Its that simple. You can select how many steps you want to transpose by. There's another method that's been around longer, if you hold the Ctrl key while you select the drag handle of a clip and move it with your mouse, you'll time stretch without altering the frequency, and there's some way to kinda do that in reverse, but I don't remember the trick off the top of my head. Reason is a fully featured DAW now, you don't need any other.

ShelLuser

20 Oct 2020

ChuckBob wrote:
17 Oct 2020
Wrong. Its actually really really easy in Reason.
Check the date of the thread please. They weren't wrong because they were talking about a completely different version. A lot has changed over the years.
--- :reason:

rootwheel

06 Sep 2021

Mimic now offers this functionality out of the box. I also posted here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7524516 with a proper workaround solution for those still running Reason 11 and earlier to 'mimic' this type of sample mapping.

A VST which offers comparable functionality to Mimic is Serato Sample which I posted about here viewtopic.php?p=573204#p573204

• Information