xLPG in the shop: VariPass Gate (Vactrol-based VCA/VCF/LPG) [by Turn2on]

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
turn2on
RE Developer
Posts: 272
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 30 Sep 2020

xLPG - new effect already in the shop:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... te-effect/

Image

LPG - known as modular "Buchla-Bongo" natural decay effect.
Any LPG – is a Low pass gate effect, which can be used to produce various tuned percussion sounds such as a congas, bongos, steel drums, marimba, plucks, etc.

xLPG is not just a simple LowPass Gate, it is a VariPass Gate effect which can be used as a Multimode Gate with various filter modes (LowPass Gate, BandPass Gate, HighPass Gate, State-Variable Gate and also Comb Gate effect).

Vactrols (optocouplers) lie at the heart of the LPG and help to create natural sounding decay. xLPG includes 9 internal types of Vactrols, each with their own individual characters.
xLPG can be used as both a simple VCA (amplifier) or as a multimode filter (VCF). Its main use however is as a very unique Vactrol based VariPass effect with 9 custom Vactrol modes.

This however is not all, the device includes four Gate modes:

- VPG (VariPass Gate). When the OFFSET knob is set to 0% the gate is fully open. When set to 100% the gate is fully closed. In this mode, as the OFFSET knob is dialed from 0-100%, the filter opens and at the same time the VCA increases the Vactrol processed signal to 0dB.
- MDF (Mid Feedback Gate). This mode works in the same way as the VPG mode, but adds decay feedback when the OFFSET knob is set near to 50%.
- FOG (Full Open Gate). In this mode the device works in an inverse fashion to VPG mode. When the OFFSET knob is set to 0% the gate is fully closed. When set to 100% the gate is fully open. Dialing the OFFSET knob from 0-100% results in a linear increase of the main signal coupled with a corresponding reduction of the Vactrol-processed signal.
- VPGQ (VariPass EQ). This mode adds only EQ charatcers of the Vactrols (not creating decay).
xLPG is a modern effect processor which can be used to create natural sounding rhythmic percussive sounds. Experimenting is highly encouraged.
LPG processes signals only when it recieves an active control signal. This can be done in three ways: Using CV Trigger input (like a real modular), by Sidechain audio input or by the TRIGGER button. The main parameter of the device is the OFFSET knob which controls the Filter, VCA or LPG level. When in BOTH mode both filter and VCA operate at the same time. This is what is usually referred to as a LowPass Gate.

Image

Image

===============
MANUAL: PDF
===============



Last edited by turn2on on 30 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7903
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 30 Sep 2020

Looks interesting. Probably the first standalone LPG in the shop.

Can it be triggered via MIDI? So i can put it into a Combinator with a synth. If not, i need to make a workaround.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
turn2on
RE Developer
Posts: 272
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 30 Sep 2020

Right now possible to triggering:
- by Trigger button (possible to automate / remote it)
- by CV Trigger Input (mm, may be try to connect by CV - some players)
- by Sidechain input

If this is really needed, we try to add (any note key creating the trigger signal)

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7903
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 30 Sep 2020

turn2on wrote:
30 Sep 2020
Right now possible to triggering:
- by Trigger button (possible to automate / remote it)
- by CV Trigger Input (mm, may be try to connect by CV - some players)
- by Sidechain input

If this is really needed, we try to add (any note key creating the trigger signal)
Its ok. I guess i will use it with some trigger generater in any way and also can use the RPG8 as usual.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
Re8et
Posts: 840
Joined: 14 Nov 2016

Post 01 Oct 2020

Wow, nice, I'll try it!

DJMaytag
Posts: 245
Joined: 17 Jun 2015
Location: Madison, WI

Post 03 Oct 2020

Loque wrote:
30 Sep 2020
Its ok. I guess i will use it with some trigger generater in any way and also can use the RPG8 as usual.
It’s how they’re typically used in the real world. I have a Serge VCFQ filter with a “ping” input to achieve a LPG effect, and one dedicated LPG (Noise Engineering Sinc Bucina). I use a WMD Metron to trigger both of them.

ravasb
Posts: 89
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 16 Oct 2020

I think I would be more interested if there was also a way to trigger the bypass, or if it had a wet/dry mixer.

User avatar
turn2on
RE Developer
Posts: 272
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 16 Oct 2020

Did you talk about triggering bypass - like a momentary button mode of Bypass (now it work as on/off), or additionally triggering by CV input?
Dry/Wet usually not used at real lpgs

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5337
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 17 Oct 2020

Just been thinking. Aren’t Vactrols a component used in the original Uni-Vibes?
丰2ॐ

ravasb
Posts: 89
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Oct 2020

turn2on wrote:
16 Oct 2020
Did you talk about triggering bypass - like a momentary button mode of Bypass (now it work as on/off), or additionally triggering by CV input?
Dry/Wet usually not used at real lpgs
Thank you for responding. Love your work and own almost all of it. I would love a cv trigger for the soft bypass, and even if it is not authentic I would still prefer a wet/dry mixer. Cheers.

ravasb
Posts: 89
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Oct 2020

i see the intro price is already over. I will keep an eye on this and see if it develops in ways I find useable. I think it is a cool effect, but I just have not yet found my sweet spot with it.

Marc64
Posts: 565
Joined: 24 Jan 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 18 Oct 2020

Can't Alligator do the same stuff and more?

User avatar
turn2on
RE Developer
Posts: 272
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 19 Oct 2020

Marc64 wrote:
18 Oct 2020
Can't Alligator do the same stuff and more?
Alligator:
- not include sound of vactrols (work only as filter and amp, not the same). So it not work like a Vactrol-based VCA or Vactrol-based filter..
Im not talk about vactrol-based Comb filter Gate or SVF Gate.
- not have ready one knob control of Amp/Filter as both with non-linear progression
- not have Pass Gate modes as VariPass Gate / Mid Feedback Gate / Full Open Gate / VariPass Equalisation.... This is a alternative modes to the classic LPG. Not just changing the filter type.

At all, Alligator is a great multiband processor with gate. It can open gate with filter, and Amp settings, but it not from Buchla sound world and been created for multiband effects and gate-rhytms for 3 bands.
xLPG about modular LPGs.

Of course, Alligator have LP gate input, and with combinator you can enable few settings at one knob. Its absolutely digital presntation of the filter + amp decay. But its un-natural decay character, that not touch natural decay sound created by Vactrols.

If we add to our RE - Sabogtage multiband fx the gate opening, it can be the same as a Alligator (but it also repeat only idea of fxs on the bands that aligator not have), but not the curent xLPG RE.

And about "more". Yes, Alligator can more, in its own way. xLPG can do really more in own way. If you find that they include LP/HP/BP flters, amp env settings, its not say that Alligator can make more, because this is a special modular effect coming from vactrol based LPGs (every vactrol not sound the same)..

Marc64
Posts: 565
Joined: 24 Jan 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 20 Oct 2020

turn2on wrote:
19 Oct 2020
Marc64 wrote:
18 Oct 2020
Can't Alligator do the same stuff and more?
Alligator:
- not include sound of vactrols (work only as filter and amp, not the same). So it not work like a Vactrol-based VCA or Vactrol-based filter..
Im not talk about vactrol-based Comb filter Gate or SVF Gate.
- not have ready one knob control of Amp/Filter as both with non-linear progression
- not have Pass Gate modes as VariPass Gate / Mid Feedback Gate / Full Open Gate / VariPass Equalisation.... This is a alternative modes to the classic LPG. Not just changing the filter type.

At all, Alligator is a great multiband processor with gate. It can open gate with filter, and Amp settings, but it not from Buchla sound world and been created for multiband effects and gate-rhytms for 3 bands.
xLPG about modular LPGs.

Of course, Alligator have LP gate input, and with combinator you can enable few settings at one knob. Its absolutely digital presntation of the filter + amp decay. But its un-natural decay character, that not touch natural decay sound created by Vactrols.

If we add to our RE - Sabogtage multiband fx the gate opening, it can be the same as a Alligator (but it also repeat only idea of fxs on the bands that aligator not have), but not the curent xLPG RE.

And about "more". Yes, Alligator can more, in its own way. xLPG can do really more in own way. If you find that they include LP/HP/BP flters, amp env settings, its not say that Alligator can make more, because this is a special modular effect coming from vactrol based LPGs (every vactrol not sound the same)..
Cool,, thanks for explaining the difference :) :thumbs_up:

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: LmstPv, teddymcw and 0 guests