(Electronic Rock) - Demolition Blues

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2020

So I'm almost finished with my track written for my "Pointless GAS Purchases" challenge. But before I release a final version I'd love to get some feedback regarding the mix, mostly around instrument volumes, low/high end frequencies and so on. Still not used to the room I'm in right now (new appartment).
I might not change anything, but I will consider every comment before I make my final tweaks.

Btw the screechy lead sound is pretty unruly pitch wise, it's a Processed piano patch through Kuassas Creme amp. For the final version I'm gonna cut together the best "takes". Same with the lead sound at 0:45 which is processed with Crapre 2 which is pretty wobbly and random. Some takes are better than others. That will be fixed for the final version.

EDIT: The track is finished now. I've done what I can to the mix.

Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 13 Oct 2020, edited 3 times in total.

guitfnky

10 Oct 2020

only listening on iphone speakers, so I can’t comment on the mix too much (sounds like it’s in good shape from what I can tell)—but damn, this is a cool track. sounds like what would happen if RATM tried their hand at making an industrial track. other than that, I’d love to hear it with some vocals. very cool. nice work!
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

rare_shadow
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2020

Awesome! I agree the riff sounds a bit like Rage against the machine - which is really cool.
Are you playing a real guitar or is it plugin?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2020

guitfnky wrote:
10 Oct 2020
only listening on iphone speakers, so I can’t comment on the mix too much (sounds like it’s in good shape from what I can tell)—but damn, this is a cool track. sounds like what would happen if RATM tried their hand at making an industrial track. other than that, I’d love to hear it with some vocals. very cool. nice work!
Thanks. So RATM without any annoying politics. A perfect world :D :thumbs_up:
Really like Rage but never been a fan of mixing politics with music.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2020

rare_shadow wrote:
10 Oct 2020
Awesome! I agree the riff sounds a bit like Rage against the machine - which is really cool.
Are you playing a real guitar or is it plugin?
No guitars, but I'm originally a guitar player so that would explain the obvious influence.
The main riff sound is Expanse through Kuassas Creme amp. The screechy lead is Processed pianos through Creme as well. Finally found a way to use Processed pianos. :)

strangers
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2020

This is nice and dirty in the best of ways. The only element I'm on the fence about is the cymbal volume. I like the big drum sound and may have to listen on something other than my laptop since that can be skewing my opinion. There are times where I feel the cymbals are just a hair too loud and other times when they're not. I like the variations for the lead sound. It really adds to the dirtiness that makes this such a good track.

ForNull

10 Oct 2020

Well done and surprised to learn that you are using a synth for the guitar sound. It would be fun to put vocals on this.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Oct 2020

strangers wrote:
10 Oct 2020
This is nice and dirty in the best of ways. The only element I'm on the fence about is the cymbal volume. I like the big drum sound and may have to listen on something other than my laptop since that can be skewing my opinion. There are times where I feel the cymbals are just a hair too loud and other times when they're not. I like the variations for the lead sound. It really adds to the dirtiness that makes this such a good track.
Thanks for your comment. Yes stuff like cymbals change a lot depending on what you're listening on. I've tried listening on my iphone, 2 different headphones, and my monitors and obviously it affects the mix dramatically.
I still keep changing things here and there. I've updated the soundcloud file several times, so everyone commenting here might have all heard different versions.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2020

Track is finished now. I've done what I can to make the mix work.
The Soundcloud song file has been replaced with the final mix.

Thanks for the responses everyone. :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2020

ForNull wrote:
10 Oct 2020
Well done and surprised to learn that you are using a synth for the guitar sound. It would be fun to put vocals on this.
Basically you can put anything through the Creme Kuassa amp and it will sound like a heavy metal guitar tone.

I guess vocals could work for the main riff, but most of the other stuff probably have to be rewritten. I know most people are really into vocals. For me vocals are very much hit or miss. It can ruin an otherwise good sounding piece of music. I tend to like the instrumental parts of music the most anyway so...

Skimrok

13 Oct 2020

I like it :thumbs_up: :)
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Auryn

13 Oct 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
10 Oct 2020
So I'm almost finished with my track written for my "Pointless GAS Purchases" challenge. But before I release a final version I'd love to get some feedback regarding the mix, mostly around instrument volumes, low/high end frequencies and so on. Still not used to the room I'm in right now (new appartment).
I might not change anything, but I will consider every comment before I make my final tweaks.

Btw the screechy lead sound is pretty unruly pitch wise, it's a Processed piano patch through Kuassas Creme amp. For the final version I'm gonna cut together the best "takes". Same with the lead sound at 0:45 which is processed with Crapre 2 which is pretty wobbly and random. Some takes are better than others. That will be fixed for the final version.

Awesome track, and cool concept to try and use your pointless GAS purchases. I have a hell of a lot of those, so I'd love to participate but stuck for time atm. I like the bluesy style here which is sort of RATM but not quite (I associate them more with the funk-influenced sound of the 1st album). LOL at the comment about politics. It's pretty insane how influential bands like RATM and Public Enemy and the like have turned out to be to the style and content of current left wing politics in America.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2020

Skimrok wrote:
13 Oct 2020
I like it :thumbs_up: :)
Great to hear :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2020

gullum wrote:
13 Oct 2020
Some fantastic sounding riffs I love this dirtiness
Thanks. Yes there's a lot of dirt in this track. Not many sounds here went through without any form of distortion. :D

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2020

Auryn wrote:
13 Oct 2020
TritoneAddiction wrote:
10 Oct 2020

Awesome track, and cool concept to try and use your pointless GAS purchases. I have a hell of a lot of those, so I'd love to participate but stuck for time atm. I like the bluesy style here which is sort of RATM but not quite (I associate them more with the funk-influenced sound of the 1st album). LOL at the comment about politics. It's pretty insane how influential bands like RATM and Public Enemy and the like have turned out to be to the style and content of current left wing politics in America.
Thanks, appreciate it. Well in case you get some time over, feel free to join in on the GAS challenge at any time. I might make more tracks with that challenge in mind. Haven't decided yet. Think I'm gonna wait a few days, or weeks before I start a new track, just to let that natural motivation come up again. Been pretty productive lately.

willy_dinglefinger

16 Oct 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
10 Oct 2020

This is class man, nice one. How did you do the drums like?
Hypernormalise forum signatures :reason:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2020

willy_dinglefinger wrote:
16 Oct 2020
This is class man, nice one. How did you do the drums like?
Thanks. :D
All the drum samples are from the Umpf Retro RE. But it's lots of processing behind those sounds. The snare especially. The "squash" and "dirt" in Pulveriser really shaped most of that snare sound. But it also goes through compressors, EQ, Disperser, reverb, Echo, to name a few. The cymbal is processed with my old favorite Crapre 2. Basically almost everything in this track is distorted in one way or another.

• Information