RIP Friktion Community Refill Project that never was

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
challism

01 Sep 2020

EDIT: This community refill project never really took off.... hence the "RIP"

On the latest "Reason to stay inside" youtube stream, Ryan and his guests discussed Friktion the entire episode. There were some great sounds being played throughout the session; I wish they would share them with us. I'll try to track them down and add them to this thread.

This new RS synth is fun to tweak and it's capable making some really wild sounds. I thought it would be cool if we made a community refill for this synth. What do you guys think?

I think these things work best when there is a deadline. How about January 1, 2021 as a deadline?

RULES:
1) If you submit a Combinator patch, please only use stock Reason devices or free REs.
2) If you submit a Combinator patch, please assign at least one knob or one button to do something interesting.
3) If you submit a Combinator patch, please include the Combinator backdrop (attached below).
4) Don't plagiarize someone's patch. If you make enough changes to a FSB patch to make it sound WAY different, please credit the original designer/source "Original Name (Original Author) - Alternate Name-Your Initials.repatch" example: "Celtic Harp (FSB) - Spatula Spelunking-CM"
It's probably best to start off with an initialized patch/reset device.
5) Each sound designer will have their own folder (named by their RT username), and all their submitted patches will go inside their own folders. So categorize your patches as you wish; if your folder looks like a mess, it's your fault.

Attachments
Friktion.jpg
Friktion.jpg (38.14 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

TheGodOfRainbows

10 Sep 2020

How come no one has responded to this? Is no one interested?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2020

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
10 Sep 2020
Maybe the diehard synth tweakers found the modulation matrix too limited? I don't know, I'm just guessing. Could also be that most people gravitate towards Friktion for the more realistic sounding string patches and most of those needs are already met with the stock patches. :question:
For me there are only a few synths I've enjoyed making patches with myself: FM4, Snakebite, Legend. Otherwise I tend to start from other peoples patches.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 10 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

moneykube

10 Sep 2020

interested... have rack... but been super busy doing fall things before winter hits to make anything... winter here... which is long... is my time to create... so likely this and the complex one and others I have beta tested on the way... a big yes to this :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Loque

10 Sep 2020

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
10 Sep 2020
Maybe not enough ppl have it...I keep my try for a better price option. I already have too many stuff, so only insane quality, ultra unique feature, a good price or awsome patches can catch my attention. Friktion is somwhere in the middle of that area, but i do not need it that much to pay the full price...
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

10 Sep 2020

I have a few extra patches that didn't make the cut for the release that I can contribute, I just need to dig through some folders and identify them.
Selig Audio, LLC

challism

13 Sep 2020

Thank you, Selig. I always appreciate your contributions. You put together great patches.

As do you, Navi Retlav. Can we include those patches in the community refill, once it's ready to be put together? Your patches will be credited to you, of course.
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
10 Sep 2020
It's probably the reasons posted above. And it could also be that when I first posted this topic, I put "X" as the body of the first post. I did this in haste, as I was trying to get it posted before Ryan's "Reason to stay inside" stream ended.

TheGodOfRainbows

13 Sep 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
10 Sep 2020
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
10 Sep 2020
Maybe the diehard synth tweakers found the modulation matrix too limited? I don't know, I'm just guessing. Could also be that most people gravitate towards Friktion for the more realistic sounding string patches and most of those needs are already met with the stock patches. :question:
For me there are only a few synths I've enjoyed making patches with myself: FM4, Snakebite, Legend. Otherwise I tend to start from other peoples patches.
Yeah the mod matrix is a bit limited, but still surely people could have some fun in the Combinator. Actually, I kind of like how focused the interface is and that there aren't billions of parameters to overwhelm, but that's a double edged sword because sometimes it is nice to have hyper control over many parameters of a synth.

BTW, call we still call it a synth? It's a physical modeling SYNTH, right?

TheGodOfRainbows

13 Sep 2020

Loque wrote:
10 Sep 2020
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
10 Sep 2020
Maybe not enough ppl have it...I keep my try for a better price option. I already have too many stuff, so only insane quality, ultra unique feature, a good price or awsome patches can catch my attention. Friktion is somwhere in the middle of that area, but i do not need it that much to pay the full price...
Yeah, maybe its too new for many people to have it, including me (haven't bought, just trying). I too want to wait for the inevitable sale, but this is the first instrument from Reason Studios that I have greatly desired in a while (Complex is a bit over my head) so it will be hard to be patient and wait.

TheGodOfRainbows

13 Sep 2020

NaviRetlav wrote:
13 Sep 2020
For those who want more Friktion patche, there is a new free pack here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/down ... ktion-pack
These sound great!. I can't play with several of the patches because I dont have the PolyStep sequencer, but the previews sound impressive. They really are perfect for the horror vibe.

NaviRetlav

14 Sep 2020

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
13 Sep 2020
NaviRetlav wrote:
13 Sep 2020
For those who want more Friktion patche, there is a new free pack here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/down ... ktion-pack
These sound great!. I can't play with several of the patches because I dont have the PolyStep sequencer, but the previews sound impressive. They really are perfect for the horror vibe.
You still should be able to use those patches without PolyStep squencer.

TheGodOfRainbows

15 Sep 2020

NaviRetlav wrote:
14 Sep 2020
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
13 Sep 2020

You still should be able to use those patches without PolyStep squencer.
Ok, I didn't realize I had to disable the players for the patches that have missing devices, so I've got them working now. But Epic Drums & Sticks I still can't get it to work.

I love Ghost In The Scrapes Generator. That is a fantastic waterphone type horror effect! And Chasing Ikiru Clarinet sounds awesome.

wendylou

25 Sep 2020

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
10 Sep 2020
Yes, please, more cowbell! (Can't have too many patches :puf_smile: )
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

challism

14 Oct 2020

wendylou wrote:
25 Sep 2020
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
10 Sep 2020
Yes, please, more cowbell! (Can't have too many patches :puf_smile: )
By the looks of the submissions (or lack, thereof) I'd say we are most likely in store for LESS cowbell.

challism

21 Dec 2020

Welp. That project didn't seem to go anywhere. ha ha ha
I guess I will unpin this thread and let it continue its death as it gets buried.
RIP Friktion Community Refill Project

Billy+

22 Dec 2020

I think suite might be the reason, reading through the forum people want it but seam to be holding out for its inclusion in suite 12. I actually managed to pick it up on black week but haven't had any time to even play with it.

challism

22 Dec 2020

Billy wrote:
22 Dec 2020
I think suite might be the reason, reading through the forum people want it but seam to be holding out for its inclusion in suite 12. I actually managed to pick it up on black week but haven't had any time to even play with it.
I think it's a really nice synth. I think you will enjoy it, once you have time to dig in.

Billy+

22 Dec 2020

challism wrote:
22 Dec 2020
Billy wrote:
22 Dec 2020
I think it's a really nice synth. I think you will enjoy it, once you have time to dig in.
I nearly brought an expression pedal as well just for use with it. I'm just not sure my knee will enjoy it :lol:

• Information