POLL - Do you still you use the old Reason synths? (Thor, Subtractor, Malström)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Do you still you use the old Reason synths? (Thor, Subtractor, Malström)

Yes I still use Thor.
34%
Yes I still use Subtractor.
32%
Yes I still use Malström.
23%
No I've moved on to other synths.
11%

Total votes: 288
tanni

13 Oct 2020

moneykube wrote:
13 Oct 2020
tanni wrote:
13 Oct 2020

yes, thats often the problem because developer like ReasonStudios dont know in this case the real opinion of majority. Most people are too lazy to write or wrote.
never voted because the option to use them all is not there... I use them all
yeah, I mean that for common. Often there are the same few people who write often in forums. Mostly do only read I think.
that actual poll here is in my opinion not so important for RS, but nevertheless, its good you write it here in this thread, if there is not offering the right choice for you in the poll. :thumbs_up:

moneykube

13 Oct 2020

Bloma wrote:
13 Oct 2020
I used to use all of them like you... then I took an arrow to the knee.
:shock: damn stray arrows... never know where they will show up lol
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Creativemind

13 Oct 2020

tanni wrote:
13 Oct 2020
Creativemind wrote:
13 Oct 2020

I would thought we'd have more than around 250 votes. We have nearly 10, 000 users on here. Where are they all and how come hardly anyone ever votes in these polls?

Just looked at another poll - 100 votes. Not many people use this site then I can take from it.
yes, thats often the problem because developer like ReasonStudios dont know in this case the real opinion of majority. Most people are too lazy to write or wrote.
Can't remember how many votes there were now but couldn't you have clicked them all then?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

paulred67

13 Oct 2020

I rarely use Reason anymore. I've moved to Studio One +VST/hardware synths world. I still like Reason for what it is.
Studio One 6, Melodyne 5 Studio, Nord Stage, Roland RD-88, VR-730, Jupiter-Xm, JD-08, Arturia V Collection X, Pigments 5, Korg Collection 3, East West Cloud, Sampletank 4, Miroslav Philharmonic 2, Syntronik, Sampletron, Hammond B-3X, Blue 3, Pianoteq.

david1806

13 Oct 2020

Good question TA.....

I for one absolutely still use the other synths - they were and still are awesome pieces of software. I usually use a Combinator for my bass sounds, and the Subtractor can quite often be found tucked away in there somewhere - along with the Monotone Bass which I totally love.

The only reason I didn't click the Malström is because I have the Intro version, and it is not included in that. I did intend to upgrade to the Full version immediately, but for the most part the Intro version has done the job and decided that when I do upgrade it will be to the Suite version. Now I have my two new guitars I really do need to upgrade, because the 16-track limit I think will begin to be a issue. Might make it an Xmas present to myself....! :)

david1806

13 Oct 2020

jwd606 wrote:
05 Oct 2020
That's my go-to patch. It just sounds like a bass. It works.
May I ask, where is this - Thor or Subtractor? Cheers! :)

tanni

13 Oct 2020

Creativemind wrote:
13 Oct 2020
tanni wrote:
13 Oct 2020

Can't remember how many votes there were now but couldn't you have clicked them all then?
no, I didnt vote every poll in past here. The same affects me....what I wrote about forums, was a diagnosis in common I think. I did not mean that as critism personally to everyone, sorry if it sounds like.
What I have done in past is, I wrote to the propellerhead/RS support. I often send them suggestions for improvements and my opinion to the way they go. Not only critism, the good things they have well done, too. Maybe more people could do this and things change a little bit.

jwd606

13 Oct 2020

david1806 wrote:
13 Oct 2020
jwd606 wrote:
05 Oct 2020
That's my go-to patch. It just sounds like a bass. It works.
May I ask, where is this - Thor or Subtractor? Cheers! :)
Subtractor "Bass Guitar". The person I quoted uses it, and someone else mentioned it too. So there's 3 of us, at least.

DougalDarkly

13 Oct 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
13 Oct 2020
Must say I'm both a little sursprised by the results and in another way not surrpised.
The order in popularity between the synths was something I expected, Thor and Subtractor first and last Malström. But I thought the option I went for "No I've moved on to other synths" would have a slightly higher percentage. After all with so Europa, Grain, all REs and also the whole VST world availbable I thought more people had forgotten about the old Reason synths.
I'm surprised by your surprise, don't some people still play electric guitars like it's the 1950s? Don't they know about the whole VST world?

Even in The Land of Synthesis, vintage hardware is most definitely a thing right? Don't they know about the whole VST world?

Your question makes no sense - of course I know about the whole VST world, but why would that make me forget an instrument I like to use? I can use new stuff, 'old' stuff (it's weird for me to think of something from 2000-something being old) any stuff I want - whatever works.

willy_dinglefinger

14 Oct 2020

jwd606 wrote:
13 Oct 2020
Subtractor "Bass Guitar". The person I quoted uses it, and someone else mentioned it too. So there's 3 of us, at least.
AKA the bestest of bestest default workhorse synth bass patches in the world ever.

Seriously if you're ever stuck for a bass sound, just fire up the Subtractor default Bass Guitar patch and go from there. It never sounds not good.
Hypernormalise forum signatures :reason:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2020

DougalDarkly wrote:
13 Oct 2020
TritoneAddiction wrote:
13 Oct 2020
Must say I'm both a little sursprised by the results and in another way not surrpised.
The order in popularity between the synths was something I expected, Thor and Subtractor first and last Malström. But I thought the option I went for "No I've moved on to other synths" would have a slightly higher percentage. After all with so Europa, Grain, all REs and also the whole VST world availbable I thought more people had forgotten about the old Reason synths.
I'm surprised by your surprise, don't some people still play electric guitars like it's the 1950s? Don't they know about the whole VST world?

Even in The Land of Synthesis, vintage hardware is most definitely a thing right? Don't they know about the whole VST world?

Your question makes no sense - of course I know about the whole VST world, but why would that make me forget an instrument I like to use? I can use new stuff, 'old' stuff (it's weird for me to think of something from 2000-something being old) any stuff I want - whatever works.
"Your question makes no sense". I didn't actually ask a question but ok. I can see what you're trying to get across.
I don't think I was very clear in my post. I understand the draw towards vintage/retro stuff and why it's popular. Those things has a certain charm and nostalgia to them. And modern synths are cool because they're new or feature rich. But it's that stuff in the middle there, Thor and Subtractor. They are not really old enough to be cool. And they are not new enough to be cool either. They're not the best at anything really. Their just "ok", in my subjective opinion of course.

That's why I thought (to quote myself) "a slightly higher percentage" would have moved on to other things by now.

The only Reason synth of these three I personally find charming or special is Malström. That one is way cooler than Thor or Subtractor imo. It actually has some real character and personality.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 14 Oct 2020, edited 1 time in total.

miscend

14 Oct 2020

The only one I dont use is Maelstrom, I just honestly never got into it. I tend to use Subtractor for simple sounds or for layering other sounds because its low on CPU. There's no point using a heavy CPU plugin for sounds that will be in the background.

ctreitzell

21 Oct 2020

I use them all

that said, I could use some new ones!
I'm a rack guy guitar player
Reason 1, 2.5, 4, 8, 10
SawStudio
i7 8700K 64GB RAM
RME UFX+
Adam A7X

• Information