Controller keyboard's knobs and faders not being recognised correctly by Reason's remote override function

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
StartledLemon

09 Oct 2020

Hello,

I'm using an M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 keyboard with Reason 10.5. In the past I've been able to use Reason's 'Edit Remote Override Mapping' option to map the Keystation's various rotary knobs and faders to control parameters in Reason's instruments. I just right-click on an instrument's control, select 'Edit Remote Override Mapping' and twiddle one of the rotary knob or slide a fader on the Keystation and it's registered and set.

However, lately that doesn't happen. If I twiddle the bottom left rotary knob on the Keystation (labelled B10) then nothing happens - Reason's 'Edit Remote Override Mapping' window doesn't register the controller as being turned. It's the same for knobs B11, B12 and B13 - Reason is not registering anything when I turn these controller knobs. Furthermore, when I turn the knob labelled B14 it is recognised by Reason but as 'Fader C1'. Likewise knob B15 is recognised as 'Fader C2', while knobs B16 and B17 aren't recognised at all.

All of the Keystation's buttons (labelled B44 to B51 and C52 to C60) are recognised as button B49, while none of the 9 fader controls are recognised at all.

I've tried factory resetting the Keystation and removing and re-adding the keyboard to Reason but the problem is still there.

Is this likely to be a fault with the Keystation or is Reason the problem here? How can I get Reason to recognise the correct controllers on the Keystation?

Many thanks for reading,

/Neil

1reasonable

09 Oct 2020

Just a quick thing you could try-are you allowing Reason to auto-detect the Keystation? If so, disable/delete it and set it up again manually as [Other] MIDI controller.
…………………………………………………………………

:reason: 11.3.6 ,  iMac Intel Core i5 (late 2012) OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra

loopeydoug

09 Oct 2020

Another thing. I have an Oxygen 88 and I have to use preset 10 to gain any control in Reason. Won't work with any other preset. May be a universal firmware thing with certain M-Audio controllers.

StartledLemon

14 Oct 2020

1reasonable wrote:
09 Oct 2020
Just a quick thing you could try-are you allowing Reason to auto-detect the Keystation? If so, disable/delete it and set it up again manually as [Other] MIDI controller.
Thanks 1reasonable! I was allowing Reason to auto-detect the Keystation. I deleted it and re-added it as [Other][MIDI Controller] and I can now map all knobs and faders to Reason's instrument controls.

It's still a bit odd in that Reason registers my twiddling of the Keystation's B10 rotary knob as control "CC10", or knob B11 as "Breath" but I can live with that.

Thanks again!

StartledLemon

14 Oct 2020

loopeydoug wrote:
09 Oct 2020
Another thing. I have an Oxygen 88 and I have to use preset 10 to gain any control in Reason. Won't work with any other preset. May be a universal firmware thing with certain M-Audio controllers.
Thanks loopeydoug - I was using preset 10 but it seems my mistake was to allow Reason to auto-detect the keyboard. Removing the Keystation from Reason and re-adding it as an [Other][MIDI Controller] appears to have resolved the problem.

Thanks for replying...much appreciated.

Re8et
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2020

1reasonable wrote:
09 Oct 2020
I have a Nektar ImpactLX88+. I have the same problem, only the key strikes are working, whilst any oth the knobs or faders works. Auto-detect doesn't work, nor manual detect.
How do you allow auto-detect in the first place???

ty. :?:

edit: I re-installed the windows-reason support drivers and now the keyboard is auto-detected, but I'm unable to use the mixer mode, it still does not recognize the faders, and in the master keyboard section, it detects the faders once moved with the find function, but then the apply/ok is greyed out, and the settings get lost... I don't know what to do else.

The Nektar is detected as two spearate keyboard, one say +mixer mode. If both are selected, there is a warning. It used to work with both allowed....

Okay, fixed... I forgot I wasn't using remote override mapping/ :D
no ctrl nektar.JPG
no ctrl nektar.JPG (67.38 KiB) Viewed 753 times

• Information