[TECHNO] GONNA (Cmin - 130bpm)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
danc

10 Oct 2020

So I get myself a Behringer Neutron. And this is my first track using the beast and a beast it is. It so wants to make ACID music. It's buzzing along with my Moog Sub-37 which is also making a rather cool ACID sequence.

Here you go - GONNA - it needs a bit of final production polish. But it's just one session and knocked it down for everyone to B-U-R-S-T their brains with.
Check my Soundcloud:

Popey
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2020

Cool track 👍. Only negative comment was I found the vocal a bit piercing a couple of times but appreciate it's not finished and look forward to hearing the finished piece after the production polish.

Popey
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2020

Popey wrote:
13 Oct 2020
Cool track 👍. Only negative comment was I found the vocal a bit piercing a couple of times but appreciate it's not finished and look forward to hearing the finished piece after the production polish.
Edit: listened again on different headphones and vocal not as piercing on some so think it was exaggerated by that particular pair of cans.

Auryn

13 Oct 2020

Cool track. It has a fresh and in your face sound, and I like the unpredictable and playful arrangement.

There's a couple of comments I would make, that I'd probably also make of most of your tracks:
1> it's too short for a dancefloor/techno track since you need about 4-5 minutes at least to mix comfortably with... or at least you used to when I was a dj but maybe things are different for the laptop crew
2> it's a bit random, and could do with some musical depth. it needs some more time/attention to change it from something entertaining but shallow to something more memorable.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

danc

14 Oct 2020

Auryn wrote:
13 Oct 2020
Cool track. It has a fresh and in your face sound, and I like the unpredictable and playful arrangement.

There's a couple of comments I would make, that I'd probably also make of most of your tracks:
1> it's too short for a dancefloor/techno track since you need about 4-5 minutes at least to mix comfortably with... or at least you used to when I was a dj but maybe things are different for the laptop crew
2> it's a bit random, and could do with some musical depth. it needs some more time/attention to change it from something entertaining but shallow to something more memorable.
Re...
1> too short - totally agree - my general rule is to create around 2 minutes in the first sitting and then take it to a full arrangement in a later session. I've got plenty of tracks that last 4 or 5 minutes.

E.g.

2> more musical depth. This is something I've been exploring for a long time and will be demanding of myself. Sometimes I do actually land on it... e.g. I SPY... but that is because the vocals are really strong. Watch this space.

Anyway... seriously thanks for taking the time and effort to comment - and build up a set of opinions based on multiple tracks and not just this one.
Check my Soundcloud:

Auryn

14 Oct 2020

danc wrote:
14 Oct 2020
Re...
1> too short - totally agree - my general rule is to create around 2 minutes in the first sitting and then take it to a full arrangement in a later session. I've got plenty of tracks that last 4 or 5 minutes.
Ah I gotcha, well I guess I usually just hear the results of the first session posted here but it's good to see you taking the time to finish these.
danc wrote:
14 Oct 2020
2> more musical depth. This is something I've been exploring for a long time and will be demanding of myself. Sometimes I do actually land on it... e.g. I SPY... but that is because the vocals are really strong. Watch this space.
You're definitely on to something there, because for this last track the structure/arrangement feels much more focused. Like my attention goes from the vocal to the cool brassy bass sound and back. Whereas in some of the other tracks it's not always clear where my attention should go. It sounds like you are maybe stuck a little using these vocal snippets from what I think are royalty-free sample packs, which often sound a bit generic and as a result your tracks end up sounding more generic than they should. I'd really recommend finding a rapper/vocalist to collaborate with, I feel that would add a lot to what you're doing.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

danc

14 Oct 2020

Auryn wrote:
14 Oct 2020
danc wrote:
14 Oct 2020
You're definitely on to something there, because for this last track the structure/arrangement feels much more focused. Like my attention goes from the vocal to the cool brassy bass sound and back. Whereas in some of the other tracks it's not always clear where my attention should go. It sounds like you are maybe stuck a little using these vocal snippets from what I think are royalty-free sample packs, which often sound a bit generic and as a result your tracks end up sounding more generic than they should. I'd really recommend finding a rapper/vocalist to collaborate with, I feel that would add a lot to what you're doing.
ABSOLUTELY - always wanted to "go original" with my vocals. So more musical and more bespoke vocals is now on my Q4 2020 agenda.

Regarding using stock vocals... I am getting very much into taking snippets for TV and radio shows (dubious legalities I know) but at least it has a rawer edge than jumping on Loopmasters. Pretty much all the vox in PHIL CHILLS WITH PILLS is from a BBC Radio 4 documentary I randomly recorded.

I SPY's cool brassy thing is a sound and ditty I made using UVI Vintage Vault. Not sure which synth it originated from in that library - but it's an old 80's analogue.

Lastly ... (I will stop typing - promise!) ... totally agree re the vastly improved focus and contrast in I SPY, compared to the others. Maybe because it's structured as a TUNE, rather than an out and out dancefloor piece. Will take note on this. Take Fat Boy Slim (you might not like his tunes - but it's a comparison point) ... he approaches dance tracks as TUNES, rather than 4 on floor numbers.

Onwards to improving and improving and having fun along the way.
Check my Soundcloud:

• Information