Just deleted 11 years worth of songs.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
bxbrkrz

13 Oct 2020

Bloma wrote:
12 Oct 2020
bxbrkrz wrote:
12 Oct 2020
4 Best Free Open Source Data Recovery Software For Windows

https://listoffreeware.com/best-free-op ... e-windows/
Britney Spears's 10 Best (and Worst) Songs of All Time

https://www.glamour.com/story/the-10-be ... f-all-time
Did she miss the great opportunity to trash/bin her music folder too? :D
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2020

Just started the first new song since the delete. Feeling good :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

danc

13 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
13 Oct 2020
I'll hand you the paraffin and lighter when you make your first million. You book the helicopter to some remote Scottish island. News of the World says they'll cover the story.
Check my Soundcloud:

guitfnky

13 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
13 Oct 2020
if you actually end up finishing it, you can return those royalties. 😆
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

sublunar

13 Oct 2020

If true, I completely don't understand the Reason-ing.

I have super old song ideas that were like a brick wall of creativity block... until... something clicked one day and upon a fresh listen, I instantly wrote a new piece or changed a part and BAM. As this happens over the years I can open old versions and see how far those initial scribblings have come. Sometimes those old versions have riffs I forgot about having saved in them that I later deleted in subsequent versions but which turned out to be the very thing that got me over the creative hump. Then there's projects scattered around that might never become anything more than what they are. Doesn't bother me to just leave em be. Being a one man band means the songwriting process is slow.. but also deliberate. I'm close to finishing an album which is a mixture of completely new ideas and old ass song ideas I first had over a decade ago which are now indispensable pieces of the whole.

But I guess that's just difference of opinon. If you're ok with doing that then that's all that matters.

Catblack

14 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
11 Oct 2020
Since first getting Record and then Reason 11 years ago I've been recording 8 and 16 bar ideas at a considerable pace. Folders upon folders of unfinished and forgotten stuff have been sitting on my hard drive just growing in volume to no end. So that was it...right click delete. There are no bad decisions...only decisions. Here's to the future :)
This is literally my nightmare scenario. I still open old idea files. Just yesterday, one from 2002. (I still have the Reason file from my first jam session using it, in Dec 2000.) I have so many backups of the old files I can't even count. I could never delete a decade of it, even if wanted to. And I'll never want to.

Though I'll be the first to caution that nostalgia is a trap.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

selig
RE Developer

14 Oct 2020

Catblack wrote:
14 Oct 2020
This is literally my nightmare scenario. I still open old idea files. Just yesterday, one from 2002. (I still have the Reason file from my first jam session using it, in Dec 2000.) I have so many backups of the old files I can't even count. I could never delete a decade of it, even if wanted to. And I'll never want to.
Though I'll be the first to caution that nostalgia is a trap.
It also just occurred to me there is yet ANOTHER use of the odd song ideas, and that is to COLLABORATE. Many of my long abandoned "8 bar wonders" have been successfully advanced by others who saw a path forward and were inspired by what they heard. So even if YOU have lost interest in your sketches, why not send them to a friend and have them see if anything sparks a flame for them?!?
Selig Audio, LLC

BRIGGS

14 Oct 2020

selig wrote:
14 Oct 2020
It also just occurred to me there is yet ANOTHER use of the odd song ideas, and that is to COLLABORATE. Many of my long abandoned "8 bar wonders" have been successfully advanced by others who saw a path forward and were inspired by what they heard. So even if YOU have lost interest in your sketches, why not send them to a friend and have them see if anything sparks a flame for them?!?
I think it's a good opportunity for collaboration. Especially if, mostly, stock devices are used. :puf_smile:
r11s

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
14 Oct 2020
selig wrote:
14 Oct 2020
I think it's a good opportunity for collaboration. Especially if, mostly, stock devices are used. :puf_smile:
I won’t get into what’s going on in my life and my head just now but deleting that folder was something that was good for me and I’m glad I did it. Maybe I didn’t need to do it but I did and I feel better for it. I like to think I’m worth a small indulgence now and then :).
Collaboration though. Whenever I’m playing music together with folk I like to start off on an even foot as opposed to sending a whole song idea. I may get a bassline and a small melody sent to me then I add a little bit then the next person adds a little bit and the song grows with everybody’s feelings and expression incorporated. By waiting to get the next persons bit I end up playing stuff I may never have orherwise thought of. I enjoy that :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

14 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
14 Oct 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
14 Oct 2020

I won’t get into what’s going on in my life and my head just now but deleting that folder was something that was good for me and I’m glad I did it. Maybe I didn’t need to do it but I did and I feel better for it. I like to think I’m worth a small indulgence now and then :).
Collaboration though. Whenever I’m playing music together with folk I like to start off on an even foot as opposed to sending a whole song idea. I may get a bassline and a small melody sent to me then I add a little bit then the next person adds a little bit and the song grows with everybody’s feelings and expression incorporated. By waiting to get the next persons bit I end up playing stuff I may never have orherwise thought of. I enjoy that :).
No need to explain yourself, I support you doing whatever you feel is best!

But as to your comments above - you mentioned deleting " 8 and 16 bar ideas", not "whole song" ideas as you state above. That's why I suggested a collaboration, but even then…I love sending 8 Bar ideas! It's actually a bit like how Lennon/McCartney worked with one providing a verse and the other a chorus. But what does it matter, it's more about how THEY response, not what YOU send, right? In a collaboration you can't control whether someone relates to your ideas, so why restrict what you send (with exceptions for keeping stuff you want to work on as a solo artist).
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2020

selig wrote:
14 Oct 2020
MrFigg wrote:
14 Oct 2020

No need to explain yourself, I support you doing whatever you feel is best!

But as to your comments above - you mentioned deleting " 8 and 16 bar ideas", not "whole song" ideas as you state above. That's why I suggested a collaboration, but even then…I love sending 8 Bar ideas! It's actually a bit like how Lennon/McCartney worked with one providing a verse and the other a chorus. But what does it matter, it's more about how THEY response, not what YOU send, right? In a collaboration you can't control whether someone relates to your ideas, so why restrict what you send (with exceptions for keeping stuff you want to work on as a solo artist).
I totally hear you. Of course I could have sent those 16 bars to someone to use but the thing is that I’ve got music going though my head all the time. If I sit down to play I’m never stuck for ideas. Maybe it’s the bipolar thing but in any case the music never stops. And that’s why it’s not sad or a tragedy or any thing else that those loops were deleted. They’ll be replaced. It’s never ending. Someone wants to jam there is always something to work with. Whether it’s old or new has no real meaning :). Does that make sense?.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ortxedys

14 Oct 2020

If it makes you feel any better, I've lost years worth of work and samples on 2 occasions. Why, you ask? Using dodgy HHD's. I always took it as a fresh start. But that initial reaction was just pure devastation.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Feb 2022

Remember this thread?
Sitting here with a bad flu (not Corona according to the tests.). My ex-wife just brought me milk, chocolate, bread and a hard drive she found in a box in her cellar. You can probably guess...back up of all the songs. So....what to do? What would you do?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Feb 2022

F* it. Too late. DELETE!!!
Phew!!! Close call :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

rootwheel

03 Feb 2022

MrFigg wrote:
03 Feb 2022
F* it. Too late. DELETE!!!
Phew!!! Close call :)
Well done for staying strong - they would have only held you back! :)

motuscott

03 Feb 2022

The phoenix burns
The phoenix rises
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

visheshl

03 Feb 2022

R u me friend? I had hundreds of unfinished projects and one day I pressed select all delete on a whim...it's all gone... actually i have done it tens of times....but it's ok I guess...I'm the mind that created all those projects and i can do it again...but then now that I'm nearing 40, i understand that i really can't and all my hardwork of my 20s is gone...but then again they were unfleshed random ideas anyway...if any of those had to be a proper track, they would've been proper tracks...i did this with my photos too...now i regret it...i formatted the computer numerous times without backing up the data...now i wish those moments were still there for me. But life goes on. What's past is past and is gone, the future is unrevealed...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Feb 2022

visheshl wrote:
03 Feb 2022
R u me friend? I had hundreds of unfinished projects and one day I pressed select all delete on a whim...it's all gone... actually i have done it tens of times....but it's ok I guess...I'm the mind that created all those projects and i can do it again...but then now that I'm nearing 40, i understand that i really can't and all my hardwork of my 20s is gone...but then again they were unfleshed random ideas anyway...if any of those had to be a proper track, they would've been proper tracks...i did this with my photos too...now i regret it...i formatted the computer numerous times without backing up the data...now i wish those moments were still there for me. But life goes on. What's past is past and is gone, the future is unrevealed...
Still got the photos. Films of the kids when they were younger. Also got every single letter I ever got from friends.
Songs are 10 a penny. Memories are priceless.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

visheshl

03 Feb 2022

MrFigg wrote:
03 Feb 2022
visheshl wrote:
03 Feb 2022
Still got the photos. Films of the kids when they were younger. Also got every single letter I ever got from friends.
That's true...but i don't have a single photo of my memories...i click them and then i delete...

plaamook

03 Feb 2022

MrFigg wrote:
03 Feb 2022
Music is actually the best way to access memories for me.
Photos, letters...ok. But music contains emotions. Moments. Songs are true snap shots. My music even more so because it’s a snap shot of something like a dream that only existed in my mind. Or a triangulation of mind matter and the flow of experience.
But I’ve memorised the really important bits of music.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Feb 2022

plaamook wrote:
03 Feb 2022
MrFigg wrote:
03 Feb 2022
Music is actually the best way to access memories for me.
Photos, letters...ok. But music contains emotions. Moments. Songs are true snap shots. My music even more so because it’s a snap shot of something like a dream that only existed in my mind. Or a triangulation of mind matter and the flow of experience.
But I’ve memorised the really important bits of music.
Don’t get me wrong, songs in tapes, records CDs whatever can transport me back to other times. My own music on the other hand is inside me. It doesn’t go away. It’s there all the time.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

plaamook

03 Feb 2022

MrFigg wrote:
03 Feb 2022
. My own music on the other hand is inside me. It doesn’t go away. It’s there all the time.
But my unreleased material can’t be retrieved. Everything else is on the internet.
Worse still is the sound banks. Raw material recorded over 15years.
I back my shit up on two separate LaCie rugged drives. 3 in fact, but one is an archive. One literally lives in my rucksack and goes everywhere w my. Everywhere.

Or here.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Feb 2022

plaamook wrote:
03 Feb 2022
MrFigg wrote:
03 Feb 2022
. My own music on the other hand is inside me. It doesn’t go away. It’s there all the time.
But my unreleased material can’t be retrieved. Everything else is on the internet.
I back my shit up on two separate LaCie rugged drives. 3 in fact, but one is an archive. One literally lives in my rucksack and goes everywhere w my. Everywhere.
Haha. LaCie. I’ve got two as well. One of them is about 20 years Le and weighs a ton. Nah, what I mean is I’m not precious about it. The process is the product for me. I’ve said it before but I can sit for half a day putting a tune together and then switch off the PC without saving it. Sometimes I’ll do something to completion but not that often. For the most part I’ve got a guitar in my hand for a good part of the day when I’m home. Singing, whistling, listening to records. Basically I know that if I chuck away an idea I’ll have just as much fun in the next one anyway and I’m not bothered about having anything concrete to show for the time because it’s the creation part I’m enjoying.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

plaamook

03 Feb 2022

MrFigg wrote:
03 Feb 2022
plaamook wrote:
03 Feb 2022

Haha. LaCie. I’ve got two as well. One of them is about 20 years Le and weighs a ton. Nah, what I mean is I’m not precious about it. The process is the product for me. I’ve said it before but I can sit for half a day putting a tune together and then switch off the PC without saving it. Sometimes I’ll do something to completion but not that often. For the most part I’ve got a guitar in my hand for a good part of the day when I’m home. Singing, whistling, listening to records. Basically I know that if I chuck away an idea I’ll have just as much fun in the next one anyway and I’m not bothered about having anything concrete to show for the time because it’s the creation part I’m enjoying.
I wish I worked like that but I don’t.
I build modular sound objects that interlock and interchange w eachother.
I regularly work w 5+ year old material that I rejig to fit in new ways.
I jam in a way...just making cool noise...but I save it all, meticulously organised in my own language.

Or here.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Feb 2022

plaamook wrote:
03 Feb 2022
MrFigg wrote:
03 Feb 2022

I wish I worked like that but I don’t.
I build modular sound objects that interlock and interchange w eachother.
I regularly work w 5+ year old material that I rejig to fit in new ways.
I jam in a way...just making cool noise...but I save it all, meticulously organised in my own language.
Modular sound objects. Cool!!!
Strangely enough after reading what you said I got to thinking, I’ve got stuff on tape that I did 35 years ago that I wouldn’t want to tape over so yeah, some things :). Was listening to some old 4-track recordings just the other day while I was making that compilation tape for my girlfriend. Stuff I’d forgotten about. Friends singing. Was nice to hear again.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information