Web Remote Map Generator

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
djsmex

13 Jun 2020

quick update: partial introduction of midi groups...
You can now create midi groups and there is some validation error messages like:
missing midi group name, group value already in use and can not skip variation value etc.
There is still more work to do on group validation and then will be adding options to edit midi groups plus set group value via midi control under the remote item options.
Please give it a try and let me know your thoughts...
http://www.reasonremoter.co.uk/

rmtcvolte

14 Jun 2020

I am totaly aware that it is not finished yet, but I would like to mention a few things. If you have a control item mapped in Global (without using a group value), this item should no longer appear in the list, if a group is selected. When it is time to set a control item for switching the groups, it could be helpful to have the option to choose, if switching is based on one button (like a "shift" mode) or two buttons for up and down functionality. And both methods should exist side by side in one mapping, if possible. Hope it makes sense. May be you know it already, but in the generated map I found two lines with "Define Group", one of them is empty.

djsmex

14 Jun 2020

Hi rmtcvolte, thank you for your contribution.
Regarding your first point of removing controls mapped in global scope from subsequent groups, although I kind of agree, leaving them in does not break the maps. I believe in some cases you can have a control mapped in the global space and the same control in a group, when the group is selected it takes priority but when a different group is selected where that control is not mapped, does the global mapping become active?
For example, lets say the control fader is mapped in global for master level and in group 1 as track 1 level but in group 2 the fader is not mapped. Does it revert to master level while group 2 is active?
Regarding your second point about mapping controls to switch groups, I believe there are many ways to do this.
For example, one control to cycle through groups from first to last and back to first or the same in reverse. Two controls, one to switch up groups and the other to switch down. A separate control for each group. Even a combination of all three.
The way I was thinking of adding control group switching is by adding another remote option to the remote items section where you can select which group is set to what value. This allows for complete freedom to map the group switching in a way that best suits the users workflow.
However, I can understand how a macro button, like the auto map and random map buttons could speed up the mapping process. I can look into this and perhaps add macros for cycle groups up/down (this wrapping round) and group up/down (that doesn't wrap round). These macros would add the mappings to switch the group values across each group, without the need to manually map them and switch groups between adding each mapping.
I hope this all makes sense, once I've got this groups section all working, I may do a video on using the web app.
Many thanks, John

rmtcvolte

15 Jun 2020

Hi John, you are right with the behavior of global mapped items, this not breaks the map. And to keep it in the list to ensure flexibillity makes sense. I tend to see the Global mapping as mapping across all groups to have the remotable item at hand in every case, but maybe it is just me. I am looking forward your implementation of switch groups, giving them names and values are the easy part of the hole process. By the way my Redrum mapping includes following line:
"Map Upper Row Button 1 Selected Drum Toggle Step 1 Toggle Step Drum1-8 Dynamic Off"
with three groups, one is switch by "up/down button"-mode, the others with "shift-mode" each.
Many thanks for all the work done so far, Rob

djsmex

15 Jun 2020

Thanks Rob, I'll also check the error of empty define group line and get it fixed. I suspect it may be a simple check for an empty group needed.
One of the difficulties around groups is removing group items or entire groups, as it can affect multiple map entries and the only solution I can find, is to remove all map entries that are within the deleted group item or entire group.
At present there is no delete option for group items or entire groups, only the ability to rename them. You can remove map entries from any group selection even clear the entire map for a given group selection.
I hope to add more macro functions like auto/random mapping across all keyboard shortcut variation groups, clear entire map & groups and perhaps even auto/random mapping of multiple devices in one step.
I also would like to add map sharing and map imports, However, this will most likely require user login and there may be issues around maps of devices not included in the database, so will need to work out a solution before adding these features.

Many thanks for the support and contributions!

djsmex

15 Jun 2020

update: another little bit of the groups management is now online.
You can now edit midi groups, via the groups menu, where you can rename the group name and/or group values as well as add more group values.
There's no remove options for keyboard or midi groups as yet and next will be the remote option to set group selection by control items. I will also look into the macro options for fast mapping of group switching.
Please give it a test run and if you spot any issues, glitches or bugs, please let me know.
Many thanks, John

djsmex

17 Jun 2020

Update: I've now added a new remote option to set group values, this includes the keyboard shortcut variation group.
I've also spotted a bug with the editing of keyboard shortcut variation values and will get it fixed asap.
The bug of adding empty define group lines has now been fixed.
Please give it a try and let us know your thoughts...
many thanks http://www.reasonremoter.co.uk

rmtcvolte

17 Jun 2020

Hi John, after being back home at my desk, I'd like to give your web-app a try with my old Edirol PCR-30. But i'm getting back several PHP Errors when I am playing with midi groups. Good news are: the empty Define Group line is no longer exist and the group values seems correctly generated, when exported. Do you need some more informations about the error messages and if so which one.

djsmex

17 Jun 2020

I've now uploaded the group macro feature that allows you to auto map group switching in one step.
Here's how it works:
After selecting your controller, device and created your group/groups, in the default map view, select the control from the dropdown, that you want to use as your group switch button. Then select Auto Map Groups from the groups menu. Here you select what group to switch, the direction and if to cycle round or not. Click the Auto Map button and the mappings are added.
You can also add group selection manually from the remote option dropdown and the group name and group value dropdowns.
Note, any mappings added via the map or quick step view are placed into the currently selected group, indicated next to the group menu button.
You can change this current group selection from within the groups menu.
Please note, this app is currently using sessions and if left for a long period may result in session data being lost. Also refreshing the page, will restart the app.
Apologies to rmtcvolte & others who may of experienced issues today, between the multiple uploads. I will reframe from making any more updates until next week, allowing you all a chance to try the app out.
If you do experience errors, please let me know what the error message says and what you did just before you got the error.
I hope to do a video on using the app, to show its features and how it may help you generate custom remote maps for reason.

djsmex

19 Jun 2020

Apologies, just uploaded another update:
Fix to the two links to select new controller and select new device, it now works and doesn't retain previous session data.
Two new options in the groups menu for group wide auto map and random map entries. This works the same as the previous auto map and random map buttons, except it maps remote items across a selected group. You have to create the group first before these options become available and if you have multiple groups, you will need to select which group to use.
Both the regular auto map and random map buttons and the group wide versions, respect any filters you have set. This allowing auto/random mapping for specific control groups or remote items like lfo's, filters, envelopes etc.
You have to apply the filters before clicking the auto/random mapping options.
Please try it out and let me know your thoughts...
http://www.reasonremoter.co.uk

djsmex

21 Jun 2020

small update: I've changed many of the buttons to round icon style buttons and added back buttons to step 1 & step 2.
I'll now work on a video to show the web app working. Please bare with us...
many thanks for all the feedback, contributions and support for the project.

djsmex

05 Jul 2020

What are your thoughts on the following:
1. Adding user login, to store your maps to your account.
2. Allowing sharing of your maps with other users.
3. Allowing uploading of your existing remotemap files for extending.
4. Downloading complete remotemap files as well as device maps.
5. Ability to add single line and multi-line comments.
6. New devices added each week as released in RS store.
7. New controllers added as they become available.
Would you pay for such a service, if so what would you pay?
Do you prefer monthly or yearly subscriptions?
What else would you like to be added to the app/service?
Your thoughts and contributions are most appreciated.

1reasonable

07 Jul 2020

Djsmex - here are my thoughts:

1 Yes, a good idea
2 Yes, this would help greatly, saving time and duplicated effort
3 Yes
4 Yes
5 Yes- always useful to add info especially if the user is revisiting after a long while, and to give new users the ability to add comments.
6 Yes - this would keep the Generator “alive” as new devices are added to Reason.
7 Yes (see 6)
I’m not a fan of a subscription model, though I understand developers need this kind of model for a constant revenue stream.
I would potentially pay either way, but what I would be prepared to pay is not an easy question. Perhaps charge along the lines of music software on the Apple App Store?
I would suggest monthly and yearly(discounted) subscriptions, with an alternative pay-per-map model. I think it might be best to aim low to start with (£/$1 per device map, and about ten/twenty times as much for a complete controller map? )
I hope you do go for producing this app, as I think it’d be a real benefit to lots of users out there. I’m impressed with your efforts thus far, please continue with the project!
…………………………………………………………………

:reason: 11.3.6 ,  iMac Intel Core i5 (late 2012) OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra

djsmex

08 Jul 2020

Thanks 1reasonable, it's great to hear your positive feedback and that you like the concepts outlined.
You present an interesting idea of payment on a per device map or whole control map. I will look into this idea and may be able to add this concept to an optional free membership account, where you get the same access as subscribers except each download will be chargible. Subscribed members would get unlimited downloads.
Part of the reason for charges are to help cover hosting costs as well as a little for my time worked. I agree discounts for yearly subscriptions is a good idea, perhaps something like two months free.
My point 5, on comments is to support the use of text comments often used in remote maps, like you say as reminders to the user and helpful notes to other users. I've already added some basic comments for each device map, to indicate the device info on release, version, developer etc. I thought adding the option for user added comments would offer further helpful info. It would also allow for a way to retain comments when importing whole remote maps.
There may be a small issue with the association of comments to a given device, if the comments are placed before the scope line.
I'm currently working on a video for using this web app and hope to publish it soon.
I want to try and keep the costs for end users as low as possible and I will keep this beta up and free while I work on the points mentioned previously.
Many thanks

djsmex

11 Jul 2020

I've updated the device list, it now includes the most recent releases like ES101 and Precision Stereo Compressor etc around 718 devices in total. There's currently around 143 controllers listed and I hope to extend this soon.
I'm a bit slow with video creation, so please bare with us.
Feel free to try the web app out and if you get any issues or errors, please let me know.

djsmex

17 Jul 2020

Now added the two new synths Obsession & Glacius X Hybrid Wave Synthesizer to the device list.

djsmex

08 Aug 2020

Now added the three M-Audio Code series keyboards to the controller list. This taking it up to 143 different controllers.
Apologies for the slow down with development, hope to be back on it soon.
In the mean time, feel free to try the app out, create your custom device maps and let me know if you get any issues.

djsmex

08 Oct 2020

Apologies for the quiet spell of development, had a small issue with the database, which resulted in the loss of some remote info files, However, this is now fixed and the new Fricktion device is added. I have some more controllers and devices to add soon and am still working on the video.
Please feel free to try out this web remote mapping app and let me know your thoughts, any issues etc.

djsmex

11 Oct 2020

Quick update, I've just added around 15 more remote info files to the rack extension device list including the channel dynamics/eq, master compressor, bitmap, sweeper, quartet and more.
Please give the mapper a try and let me know how it goes.
http://reasonremoter.co.uk/

mjxl

11 Oct 2020

You did a booboo somewhere, pressing the first link (select controller) produces this error ;P

Code: Select all

Access to XMLHttpRequest at 'http://www.reasonremoter.co.uk/index.php' from origin 'http://reasonremoter.co.uk' has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource.
/edit: it happens from your link here, seems the page isn't "valid" when you don't have `www.` prepended to the address.

djsmex

12 Oct 2020

Thanks mjxl, I'll look into this and get it fixed asap.

djsmex

12 Oct 2020

Hi mjxl & all,
I've fixed the ajax error, it should now work from either http://reasonremoter.co.uk/ or http://www.reasonremoter.co.uk/
However, there is still a bug, if you click the back to step 1 link in the step 3 view and then cancel by closing the popup box, the selected controller data is lost and attempting to do anything after this results in errors and total data loss of the map data you may of generated. Likewise, if the page session times out, you get the same issue of data loss.
The only solution to this, is to add user login and have the data stored to a user profile, instead of just session data.
I will work on a free signup/login feature together with storing data to user profiles, to help make the app more stable.

visheshl

02 Dec 2022

Could you please add the codec for xtouchmini on you reasonremoter utility ?
I can share the codec here if you like...

visheshl

03 Dec 2022

The xtouchmini codec in this thread...

viewtopic.php?t=7514815

Kindly add this to reasonremoter.co.uk

🙏

Would be really helpful

• Information