Just deleted 11 years worth of songs.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2020

Since first getting Record and then Reason 11 years ago I've been recording 8 and 16 bar ideas at a considerable pace. Folders upon folders of unfinished and forgotten stuff have been sitting on my hard drive just growing in volume to no end. So that was it...right click delete. There are no bad decisions...only decisions. Here's to the future :)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

miscend

11 Oct 2020

You could have given them away and seen where other people could take your ideas. But alas they're gone now. Cheers to the future.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2020

miscend wrote: ↑
11 Oct 2020
You could have given them away and seen where other people could take your ideas. But alas they're gone now. Cheers to the future.
Selfish that way :)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2020

:(
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel β€’α΄—β€’

Creativemind

11 Oct 2020

Wow! that takes guts.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2020

Creativemind wrote: ↑
11 Oct 2020
Wow! that takes guts.
I think it had more to do with bipolar impulsiveness...but as said, there are no bad decisions, only decisions ):).
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

antic604

11 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote: ↑
11 Oct 2020
Since first getting Record and then Reason 11 years ago I've been recording 8 and 16 bar ideas at a considerable pace. Folders upon folders of unfinished and forgotten stuff have been sitting on my hard drive just growing in volume to no end. So that was it...right click delete. There are no bad decisions...only decisions. Here's to the future :)
I despise people who use right-click menus to do trivial thing like deleting something :roll:
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2020

antic604 wrote: ↑
11 Oct 2020
11 Oct 2020
I despise people who use right-click menus to do trivial thing like deleting something :roll:
Well I guess that’s me off your xmas card list. Here’s to the future.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Loque

11 Oct 2020

Nothing wrong with "8 bar loops" and ideas...I not always have the final idea for a song or i am in the mood for a new song or to just finish one. I keep the ideas and integrate them later into a song. Its like having your own library of tracks, lanes, snippets, songs, recordings, patches, instruments and effects. And i always know, i liked them once and in the right song, they find there place. Still better, than just buying libraries where i do not like 90% of the stuff :-D

My recommndation: Do not delete your ideas. Use them.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2020

Loque wrote: ↑
11 Oct 2020
Nothing wrong with "8 bar loops" and ideas...I not always have the final idea for a song or i am in the mood for a new song or to just finish one. I keep the ideas and integrate them later into a song. Its like having your own library of tracks, lanes, snippets, songs, recordings, patches, instruments and effects. And i always know, i liked them once and in the right song, they find there place. Still better, than just buying libraries where i do not like 90% of the stuff :-D

My recommndation: Do not delete your ideas. Use them.
Nah man...it's cool. Plenty more where they came from. :)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2020

diminished wrote: ↑
11 Oct 2020
:(
Still got two left Dim :)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Bloma

11 Oct 2020

11 Oct 2020
I understand. When I was 20ish, the morning after an enlightening mushroom trip, I deleted hundreds and hundreds of songs I'd made over high school years. Looking back it could have been interesting to see how they were but you have to let go of things and move on.

Aosta

11 Oct 2020

That is a brave move!
I have an absolute ton of unfinished stuff (checks folder called 'tracks I really should finish') 9 folders with 1,327 files though in my defence some of those are duplicates of the same thing with progressive saves but I would never throw stuff away, you never know when they will come in handy.
Just last night I was browsing an old folder and found an idea that was my first save using Reason 6 and I loved it! Totally forgot I'd made it and it may become something or it may sit there for more years?
I just bumped it into my current go to folder to be developed more.
The way I see it they are all an expression of myself at some point and still have something to them....or maybe I'm just a .rns hoarder? :?
Tend the flame

PhillipOrdonez

11 Oct 2020

Get a program called recuva, they can still be recovered! The sooner the better! Give them to the reason talk community, surely plenty of newbies could learn something or use them as songstarters, come on! πŸ˜€

Dogcat

11 Oct 2020

11 Oct 2020
There are no bad decisions...only decisions.
What does this mean? Surely every decision one makes has consequences, and if those consequences are harmful to us or others then this could rightfully be called a bad decision, correct?

rgdaniel

11 Oct 2020

11 Oct 2020
Folders upon folders of unfinished and forgotten stuff have been sitting on my hard drive just growing in volume to no end. So that was it...right click delete.
I understand completely. My own tendency, more broadly, is to hoard and hoard until I have trouble crossing the room, then in a fit of pique throw everything into a dumpster and set fire to it. (I exaggerate to make the point). Fortunately, the digital age means I can hoard as much as I want, and for an extra hundred bucks or so, back it all up, to boot. It will be a while before I have to step carefully over the growing piles of external hard drives, although I will soon need another hub.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2020

Dogcat wrote: ↑
11 Oct 2020
11 Oct 2020
There are no bad decisions...only decisions.
What does this mean? Surely every decision one makes has consequences, and if those consequences are harmful to us or others then this could rightfully be called a bad decision, correct?
Sure :)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

BRIGGS

11 Oct 2020

r11s

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2020

BRIGGS wrote: ↑
11 Oct 2020
"y o u r means your, y o u apostrophe r e means you are." :)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Noplan
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2020

I don't understand that. I collect ideas and loops and then I'll come back to them in a couple of years. Having something in creative holes is always better than an empty project. I occasionally copy a channel strip from old projects and see if it fits into a new project, even if it's just a shaker or a patch or just a melody or chord that I would otherwise never have combined within a new song.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2020

Bad move man. Bad move.
I love going back and opening old Reason files. Many of them suck, sure. After all they are often just short ideas that never got expanded upon. But every now and then there are some hidden gems that years after gets turned into songs.

My latest song I'm working on right now is in fact one of those tracks. Went through some old stuff, just for fun and decided to work with an old riff I wrote 2 years ago. Now it's been turned into a full song.

BRIGGS

11 Oct 2020

11 Oct 2020
11 Oct 2020
Some silly kid made this, so I can't take any credit for the amazing spelling skills. :lol:
r11s

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2020

11 Oct 2020
11 Oct 2020

Some silly kid made this, so I can't take any credit for the amazing spelling skills. :lol:
Those dang kids would be better spending their time in school learning how to spell than making pictures for you to wind me up with :):):)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

BRIGGS

11 Oct 2020

11 Oct 2020
11 Oct 2020

Those dang kids would be better spending their time in school learning how to spell than making pictures for you to wind me up with :):):)
lol :lol:
r11s

Aosta

11 Oct 2020

Noplan wrote: ↑
11 Oct 2020
I don't understand that. I collect ideas and loops and then I'll come back to them in a couple of years. Having something in creative holes is always better than an empty project. I occasionally copy a channel strip from old projects and see if it fits into a new project, even if it's just a shaker or a patch or just a melody or chord that I would otherwise never have combined within a new song.
I sometimes just open an old song file and either use the loaded instruments and effects to create new ideas in the sequencer or drag and drop new instruments and effects replacing the old ones keeping the midi files, either way it creates new ideas from old ideas, I don't throw anything away because way way back in another time before my Reason days I made the fatal mistake of compressing my hard drive to make space (I was a dumb kid) and lost absolutely everything I'd created over a three year period :shock:
Tend the flame

• Information