Cherry Audio - DCO-106 Polyphonic Synth VST

Discuss VST stuff here!
Despondo
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2020

New one at a great intro price of $25! https://cherryaudio.com/instruments/dco-106

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2020

Can’t be as good as TAL U-No-LX right?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

cymek74

06 Oct 2020

Running the demo, really sounds good. Now I have to decide if I want 1 Plucky bass with no effects and short release time with this, or 10 lush pads on Serum or Pigments for roughly the same CPU load. It goes beyond bad into the realms of comedy how much this eats cpu, I turned unison on and the street lights went out in a 2-mile radius.
Reason 12, Bitwig 4, Win 10 :recycle: :reason: :re:

hurricane
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
06 Oct 2020
I've been using DCO-106 for a few days now, and the first thing I did was compare it to LX and they are extremely close. I'd say UNOLX is somewhat shinier and glossier, and DCO-106 is a bit darker. UNOLX emulates the Juno 60 while DCO-106 obviously emulates the Juno 106, and as for the differences - from what I've read, the differences appear to be hardware feature related mainly, for example the 106 having a higher 128 patch memory and midi capabilities. Sonically, the hardware keyboards are supposed to sound very similar. The people on the internet can't seem to agree on things what a surprise. Doesnt matter cuz this is TAL's vs Cherry's and I say they're very close, with TAL's being maybe more HI-FI (richer, wider, brighter). But anyone wanting a Juno emu and thinking $63 for TAL's is too much, then you need to jump on DCO-106 because it's $21.99 at http://everyplugin.com/dco-106.html .
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MattLeschuck

06 Oct 2020

I also picked this up and am having a lot of fun with it so far. Sounds great!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2020

hurricane wrote:
06 Oct 2020
MrFigg wrote:
06 Oct 2020
I've been using DCO-106 for a few days now, and the first thing I did was compare it to LX and they are extremely close. I'd say UNOLX is somewhat shinier and glossier, and DCO-106 is a bit darker. UNOLX emulates the Juno 60 while DCO-106 obviously emulates the Juno 106, and as for the differences - from what I've read, the differences appear to be hardware feature related mainly, for example the 106 having a higher 128 patch memory and midi capabilities. Sonically, the hardware keyboards are supposed to sound very similar. The people on the internet can't seem to agree on things what a surprise. Doesnt matter cuz this is TAL's vs Cherry's and I say they're very close, with TAL's being maybe more HI-FI (richer, wider, brighter). But anyone wanting a Juno emu and thinking $63 for TAL's is too much, then you need to jump on DCO-106 because it's $21.99 at http://everyplugin.com/dco-106.html .
80% of the Juno sound is in the chorus IMO. Did Cherry get it right?
The Roland plug-out sounds crazy good, and to my ears Rolands Juno emu is the gold standard to compare with, they chorus is sooooo gooood (unless you got a HW laying around)
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

hurricane
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2020

I can't compare it to Roland's chorus, but Cherry's sounds not as good as TAL's. I put the standalone TAL chorus on it and it sounded more Juno-y.

I still prefer UNO-LX by a longshot. DCO-106 is similar in tone, and with TAL's chorus it sounds better. Reminds me of Model 72 where UNO-LX has this special sauce that DCO-106 doesn't. For 20 bucks this is a solid Juno emulation if you don't want to spend the $$$ for TAL's or Roland's.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EdGrip

06 Oct 2020

Boombastix wrote:
06 Oct 2020
hurricane wrote:
06 Oct 2020

The Roland plug-out sounds crazy good, and to my ears Rolands Juno emu is the gold standard to compare with, they chorus is sooooo gooood (unless you got a HW laying around)
I dunno, but TAL got it right and they released it for free as a tiny separate VST.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2020

EdGrip wrote:
06 Oct 2020
Boombastix wrote:
06 Oct 2020

I dunno, but TAL got it right and they released it for free as a tiny separate VST.
The RE Chenille CAN do the Juno chorus very well, I spent a long time tweaking it so it sounded like a Juno. There was no preset for it and all presets seems a bit conservative compared to the HW. Just my take on it. I never tried the free TAL chorus, but might be good as it is a VST so you can use it in pure VST FX chains.

hurricane
Competition Winner

07 Oct 2020

Over on Gearslutz, in response to someone saying they also prefer Tals chorus, the developer says;

@ btfnk - Regarding the chorus (and the entire instrument), keep in mind that the instrument was developed with a couple of real Juno-106’s at arm’s (and ear’s) length. If you prefer the TAL chorus, of course you’re entitled to your opinion, but we did everything we could to match the tone throughout.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EdGrip

08 Oct 2020

hurricane wrote:
07 Oct 2020
Over on Gearslutz, in response to someone saying they also prefer Tals chorus, the developer says;

@ btfnk - Regarding the chorus (and the entire instrument), keep in mind that the instrument was developed with a couple of real Juno-106’s at arm’s (and ear’s) length. If you prefer the TAL chorus, of course you’re entitled to your opinion, but we did everything we could to match the tone throughout.
As opposed to TAL, who probably just looked at a picture of a Juno and then guessed.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2020

EdGrip wrote:
08 Oct 2020
hurricane wrote:
07 Oct 2020

As opposed to TAL, who probably just looked at a picture of a Juno and then guessed.
Hahahaha. I think that may be the funniest thing you’ve ever written on RT Ed. Hahahaha.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

tallguy

08 Oct 2020

Eventide just released a new chorus VST. Trialing and comparing it confirms to me that the TAL Chorus LX is one of the best chorus fx out there.

The Chorus I on the TAL using default settings is indistinguishable from the one on my 106.
Chorus II is richer on TAL, you have to dial the Dry/Wet to 11 o'clock and Stereo Width to 2 o'clock to get a match.

Heater

08 Oct 2020

I've got the TAL but it's good that there's a cheaper alternative.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2020

Just played around with the free U-He Tyrell N6. I never "fell in love" with it. Now I realize why, the chorus is trash on it. BUT putting a Juno style chorus and it is really AWESOME.

Compared to a Juno, Tyrell has: 2x Osc, Ring mod, X-mod, 6 filter types, and with the Tyrell-Diva skin, you have drag n drop modulation and it looks beautiful.
You can do plenty of mod routings and do FM of the filter and stuff too, so more like a JX-3P, but with Juno features added in. Not bad at all.

Komplete Kontrol - Tyrell N6 - Tal Chorus - Replika XT - here I come ! :lol:

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2020

I must be nuts, cuz I made this:

Whichever VST/RE you pick, you probably want to drop it in a Combinator so the good Chorus is there - - - always, so here you go:
(just right click and download)
Roland Juno-106.jpg
Roland Juno-106.jpg (27.53 KiB) Viewed 84716 times

hurricane
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2020

Boombastix, sometimes I think we're brothers from different mothers.

I felt the exact same way about Tyrell - a better more juno-y chorus would make it complete for me. I always put a different chorus on it. CPU is too high though so THAT, plus the less than ideal chorus makes me not want to use it.

I'm a big fan of the Juno chorus - but I've never touched a real Juno so I i have no idea if Tal's is right or if DC-106's is more accurate. Doesn't really matter though because I still like what I've been told are juno-ish choruses, like Tal's. MY favorite Juno-type chorus though, is OSL Chorus - https://oblivionsoundlab.com/product/osl-chorus/ - its default state is just right. Such a sweet chorus! Uhe's Uhbik Flanger does a really good juno-y chorus as well. The chorus on PG-8X is freaking fantastic too, and I wish there was a standalone mac version because it would be my absolute favorite of them all.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Heater

09 Oct 2020

I have several Juno 106's over the years.
The last one I had I spent one evening A/B-ing it between that and the TAL.

The next day I put my Juno 106 on eBay. The TAL is that good.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2020

So, to sum up this thread, could we say
1. The Cherry Audio one is cheaper than the TAL
2. The Cherry Audio one eats CPU.
3. The TAL is uckingf magic and blows the Cherry Audio one right out of the water.

Or have I misunderstood?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Koshdukai

09 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
09 Oct 2020
3. The TAL is uckingf magic and blows the Cherry Audio one right out of the water.

Or have I misunderstood?
The DCO-106 isn't as bright (highend spectrum-wise) as a real Juno. If Cherry Audio had a couple of Junos at arms length while developing the DCO-60 module (I own that one) or DCO-106, then either the developers have old ears and can't hear those missing highs and/or Cherry Audio opted out of oversampling which explains why the VCF only going up to 24KHz... unlike the real ones.

TAL Chorus III mode is more interesting than the mode III on a real Juno, meaning, not realistic but more musically useful :)

Both these can easily be checked with a scope (or spectrum view).
If you don't have a juno to hear and see the difference, comparing with TAL is enough of an indicator of what I said.
Last edited by Koshdukai on 09 Oct 2020, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2020

Koshdukai wrote:
09 Oct 2020
MrFigg wrote:
09 Oct 2020

Or have I misunderstood?
The DCO-106 isn't as bright (highend spectrum-wise) as a real Juno. If Cherry Audio had a couple of Junos at arms length while developing the DCO-60 module (I own that one) or DCO-106, then either the developers have old ears and can't hear those missing highs and/or Cherry Audio opted out of oversampling which explains why the VCF only going up to 24KHz... unlike the real ones.

TAL Chorus III mode is more interesting than the mode III on a real Juno, meaning, not realistic but more musically useful :)

Both these can easily be checked with a scope (or spectrum view).
If you don't have a juno to hear and see the difference, comparing with TAL is enough of an indicator of what I said.
That’s good. I’ve had the TAL for ages and I love it :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EdGrip

09 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
09 Oct 2020

Or have I misunderstood?
Sounds about right! But the TAL isn't exactly expensive by VA softsynth standards - and he has a sale every year or so.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2020

EdGrip wrote:
09 Oct 2020
MrFigg wrote:
09 Oct 2020

Or have I misunderstood?
Sounds about right! But the TAL isn't exactly expensive by VA softsynth standards - and he has a sale every year or so.
Hahaha. I know :). I’ve got it. Money well spent.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
09 Oct 2020

Or have I misunderstood?
If you wanna get nerdy you should download the Roland plug-out (VST2) demo. Roland's is the golden magic one. But maybe TAL is similar enough. Once your stick a sound in a mix subtleness disappears and won't really matter anyhow.

Check the bass. The Juno saw waveform bends a little, like sine, so that's why it has that huge bottom end. Compare that.
The Chorus doesn't destroy the bass, like many others do. Compare bass with Chorus I.
Then a mellow string patch with Chorus II, to see if the width and smoothness is there.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2020

Boombastix wrote:
09 Oct 2020
MrFigg wrote:
09 Oct 2020

Or have I misunderstood?
If you wanna get nerdy you should download the Roland plug-out (VST2) demo. Roland's is the golden magic one. But maybe TAL is similar enough. Once your stick a sound in a mix subtleness disappears and won't really matter anyhow.

Check the bass. The Juno saw waveform bends a little, like sine, so that's why it has that huge bottom end. Compare that.
The Chorus doesn't destroy the bass, like many others do. Compare bass with Chorus I.
Then a mellow string patch with Chorus II, to see if the width and smoothness is there.
I know from previous sleepless nights that if I start doing that It’ll end in disaster. :). I think I’m good with the TAL. It looks like a Juno and it sounds like a Juno and to be honest when it comes to synths I can’t hear the subtleties. Put me in a room with three Jazzmasters of the same model however and I’ll tell you within minutes which one of them sounds best and why :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information