Sequencer Improvement Requests - B

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.

What is important to you? 3 votes

Keycommands for grid resolution
6%
Punch in/out
9%
MIDI chase
7%
Update ReGroove mixer
4%
Context sensitive multi-tool
11%
View one rack/device group per track
3%
MIDI loop recording
8%
Markers
10%
Loops playing in sync in browser
11%
Automatically returning playing cursor
1%
Convert clips to block
8%
Always-on recording
5%
Slice edit threshold control
13%
Select vertical slice
1%
Polyphonic aftertouch/pitch bend
3%

Total votes: 225
Jackjackdaw

20 Sep 2020

kuhliloach wrote:
20 Feb 2020
The simple answer is Make Ableton Jealous. Its time to start caring about the competition and doing things to match and/or beat it. For me this means advanced clip handling and better automation features. I can't stand the fact that Ableton gained such a huge following while Reason sat there and did almost nothing for so many years.
I think it has been Ableton's marketing that has put it where it is rather than features. Including a version of Lite with nearly everything and turning a blind eye to the crackz. And then there is the UI that sits nice on laptop screens.

There is a ton of stuff Ableton can't do so its not just features that make it stand out.

RS on the other hand keeps trying to win the kids over with half arsed ios apps and social networks that get abandoned straight out the gate. So the only people who use a Reason are old timers who had there minds blown by Reason 2.5 and have stuck with it ever since :lol:

jam-s

20 Sep 2020

One of the most annoying things in Ableton Live imho is that you cannot set a scene trigger event as a clip follow action. IIrc you can do this with bitwig, but I don't get why Ableton does not simply implement this as well.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

07 Oct 2020

A clarifying question for everyone who picked "loops play in sync". Do you guys mean when previewing in the browser? REX and audio? Reason matches audio clips with the tempo today if the audio has tempo data, I'm guessing you also mean this should work if the audio doesn't have tempo data embedded? :)

tanni

07 Oct 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
07 Oct 2020
A clarifying question for everyone who picked "loops play in sync". Do you guys mean when previewing in the browser? REX and audio? Reason matches audio clips with the tempo today if the audio has tempo data, I'm guessing you also mean this should work if the audio doesn't have tempo data embedded? :)
yes, I think so...., let me say: if I browse in Reason all my tons of drumloops (wav-files), in 99 percent Reason shows: No tempo data in file.
So, I dont know how I can put the right Tempo infos in my thousands of wav-files....is there maybe any batch processing tool for this ??
Or a batch processing tool for making Rex-files out of the wav-files ?

esselfortium

07 Oct 2020

When viewing multiple lanes, I'd like to be able to edit notes on all of them. If I'm working with strings, I have violins 1 and 2, violas, celli, etc. on separate tracks, and being able to just drag-select and move notes around on all those lanes at once would be much more efficient than having to perform the same operation separately on each track.

I imagine the response to this is "but then how can you tell which lane a note is on when you draw or edit?". Good question! I'd suggest adding something to the inspector that displays the lane each note is in, and a keyboard shortcut to move selected notes to the next/previous selected lane. This would make multi-lane editing much faster and more useful.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Creativemind

07 Oct 2020

esselfortium wrote:
07 Oct 2020
When viewing multiple lanes, I'd like to be able to edit notes on all of them. If I'm working with strings, I have violins 1 and 2, violas, celli, etc. on separate tracks, and being able to just drag-select and move notes around on all those lanes at once would be much more efficient than having to perform the same operation separately on each track.

I imagine the response to this is "but then how can you tell which lane a note is on when you draw or edit?". Good question! I'd suggest adding something to the inspector that displays the lane each note is in, and a keyboard shortcut to move selected notes to the next/previous selected lane. This would make multi-lane editing much faster and more useful.
Is this functionality in other daw's (not that that matters necessarily) but just curious?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

07 Oct 2020

Creativemind wrote:
15 Mar 2020
You've missed off my most wanted sequencer feature, whatever any other daw calls it - Aliased, Cloned, Linked or Mimic'd Clips.
I'll quote my own reply here. :lol:

In Reaper this feature is called Pooled Clips and you can link the Pooled Automation to a clip so when you drag the clip, the automation is tied to it (but I think this is different to grouping which also exists in Reaper.)

Time Markers, Track Folders and Track Templates would be my next 3 most wanted sequencer features oh and Time Displays for the Transients when in Slice Edit, maybe when hovering the mouse over a transient?

esselfortium

07 Oct 2020

Creativemind wrote:
07 Oct 2020
esselfortium wrote:
07 Oct 2020

Is this functionality in other daw's (not that that matters necessarily) but just curious?
Yes.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Dogcat

07 Oct 2020

Creativemind wrote:
07 Oct 2020
esselfortium wrote:
07 Oct 2020

In Bitwig you can view multiple midi lanes at the same time, move individual notes, or select groups of notes (regardless of which lane they're from), and move/edit them as a group. And as long as you have each lane color-coded differently, it's very easy to tell which instrument (or instruments) you're editing.

dannyF

07 Oct 2020

FOLDERS in sequencer ( since 2008 ) THAT'S ALL I WANT
Last edited by dannyF on 08 Oct 2020, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipOrdonez

07 Oct 2020

I want to vote for polyphonic aftertouch so I can use the microfreak to modulate synths in Reason.

I had voted for other things when this poll was published.

I also want mixer tracks to be able to be folded, groups taking up the space of a single folded track.

Creativemind

07 Oct 2020

Dogcat wrote:
07 Oct 2020
Creativemind wrote:
07 Oct 2020

In Bitwig you can view multiple midi lanes at the same time, move individual notes, or select groups of notes (regardless of which lane they're from), and move/edit them as a group. And as long as you have each lane color-coded differently, it's very easy to tell which instrument (or instruments) you're editing.
:thumbs_up:

Mike B

08 Oct 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
07 Oct 2020
Hello Mattias,

Yes and yes. Have a look at Ableton's browser and how it automatically syncs all sorts of audio types to the project's tempo. And it rightfully does so while keeping things running fast and smooth.

I'd also like to add that the browser search is very slow so it would be nice to improve the overall speed of the browser experience.

Thank you for your concern.

Creativemind

08 Oct 2020

Mike B wrote:
08 Oct 2020
MattiasHG wrote:
07 Oct 2020
Hello Mattias,

Yes and yes. Have a look at Ableton's browser and how it automatically syncs all sorts of audio types to the project's tempo. And it rightfully does so while keeping things running fast and smooth.

I'd also like to add that the browser search is very slow so it would be nice to improve the overall speed of the browser experience.

Thank you for your concern.
Yes and to be able to search for certain devices within projects (so find all projects that contain the RV7000 within them). This would mean (I think) that metadata would need to be included in the project info which if I'm not mistaken isn't included currently. What they could do though, is say device searching was included in Reason 12 then include a batch resaving of all your projects to a Reason 12 file so you could start it off and come back 20 minutes later or whatever and it be complete and then all your projects would have the necessary metadata included for future device searching.

I'd also like to see branch searching, tags and the browsers to be sync'd on the fly. Annoying how if say you're in the sequencer and you browse to a certain patch folder and then go to the rack, browser's in a different place.

Oh and a Refresh Button for folders. I use a folder called Samples where all my samples are contained and if I'm already in that folder in the browser and I add more samples to it, currently I have to go back out of the folder and back in. I would love to see a quick slick refresh button which just refreshes the folder that you're in and how it works in FL Studio (also works in the vst folder in FL) it makes any new additions a different colour so you can quickly / clearly see them.

Creativemind

10 Oct 2020

Just looked it up, September 2014 Reason 8 came out, so that browser hasn't been touched in 5-6 yrs. Why do they never finish things off? Really frustrating. There's 4 things I've mentioned above and numerous other people have mentioned 2 of them (audio wave display and tags / branches / device searching). It's like they think it's finished when clearly it could be improved tremendously.

Creativemind

10 Oct 2020

dannyF wrote:
07 Oct 2020
In Reaper, how this works, is you make a track and then that becomes the parent track and the rest are child tracks. So if you have 5 drums, you'd create a parent track and then you drag it up to the top of the drums (in the Track Control Panel or Inspector) and then the 5 drums would be contained in it with the parent track being the master channel so to speak. Is this how it works in other daw's? I will have to have a look on You Tube.

That being the case, it seems to me that this feature should've been a feature when bussing / grouping was added to the Main Mixer as they tie together.

dannyF

11 Oct 2020

Creativemind wrote:
10 Oct 2020
dannyF wrote:
07 Oct 2020
In Reaper, how this works, is you make a track and then that becomes the parent track and the rest are child tracks. So if you have 5 drums, you'd create a parent track and then you drag it up to the top of the drums (in the Track Control Panel or Inspector) and then the 5 drums would be contained in it with the parent track being the master channel so to speak. Is this how it works in other daw's? I will have to have a look on You Tube.

That being the case, it seems to me that this feature should've been a feature when bussing / grouping was added to the Main Mixer as they tie together.
This request will get ignored again on this upgrade cycle. That's been the pattern of the past and I can only predict it will be the pattern of the future. Wish I was wrong.

They could have easily done it. But they wanted to put their resources into make quick cash grab with their stupid iphone apps and silly alihoopa that no one used.

Creativemind

11 Oct 2020

dannyF wrote:
11 Oct 2020
Creativemind wrote:
10 Oct 2020

This request will get ignored again on this upgrade cycle. That's been the pattern of the past and I can only predict it will be the pattern of the future. Wish I was wrong.

They could have easily done it. But they wanted to put their resources into make quick cash grab with their stupid iphone apps and silly alihoopa that no one used.
Bit harsh but kinda true I suppose. I only used Alihoopa about 3 times, listened a few times but that was it. Probably be ignored in this 11 cycle yeah but I really feel Track Folders will be in the Reason 12 initial release.

I just checked the Media Explorer in Reaper as well. In the media explorer you can adjust the volume of an audio sample, raise the pitch (and the dial can be set to + or - 2 semitones, + or - 6 semitones or + or - 12 semitones if you right click it) and the sample can be looped and paused mid sample and restarted as well as tempo sync'd, not tempo sync'd or the sample can be half the project's speed (or maybe sample speed not sure) or double the speed and there is a start on bar feature which not entirely sure what that does, think it may just start playing the sample on the start of a bar if you're playing the sample as well as the track simultaneously. You can also click the waveform of the sample displayed and it will play from where you click it. The only thing I don't see yet is being able to set a specific range (area) of the sample (like I think you can with Ableton but don't quote me on it) with like brackets and have that specific part of the sample play and loop as you can have it any length you want.

• Information