Full project mode for Rack VST.

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
TKM

01 Oct 2020

Hello. New here. Have been a Reason user since ver. 1.0 (before Record).

Question for the developers. Are there any plans to make the Reason stand alone project RNS files loadable (editable, start from scratch, etc) in the VST version in any upcoming upgrades?

deeplink
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2020

You mean loading sequencer and track data in a vst that has no sequencer or tracks at the moment?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Loque

01 Oct 2020

That wouldn't make sense, since the host is the DAW and it would be cumbersome.

You can use the Live Link to sync Reason DAW with other DAWs.
Reason12, Win10

TKM

06 Oct 2020

Loque wrote:
01 Oct 2020

You can use the Live Link to sync Reason DAW with other DAWs.
Thanks for the reply but I know this already. I just think it would be easier for me to not have to shut down what I am doing in Reason Rack with Live to open the Reason standalone and have to go in and route outs from tracks I have already started in Reason to Live if I want to incorporate or add to the song I started in Reason. That's what I have had to do so far. Do you know of another way?

The Rack VST doesn't need to be another controller or have it's transport features like the standalone. I just want to be able to load my old tracks into the VST do all of the routing from there so I can keep the workflow and inspiration going. Maybe the new file extension could be something other than .rns. Am I making sense?

Italophile

06 Oct 2020

TKM wrote:
06 Oct 2020
Loque wrote:
01 Oct 2020
Am I making sense?
No.

How would a VST plugin that has no knowledge at all of your DAW, and which can only send MIDI data by dragging to a track, be able to send the MIDI and automation data from the tracks in the rns to the DAW?

Even just importing the devices from the rns would be impractical, as the devices for each track would need to be loaded into a separate instance of the plugin.

Whilst I appreciate the point that it would be easier for you, what you are asking for makes no sense, like Loque said.

TKM

06 Oct 2020

The VST wouldn't need to know the DAW. Does ANY VST you use need to know the DAW? The DAW would control all of that.
The VST Rack could just be better than it is instead of being just a sound module.
All of the programming that was done on the original rns can stay the same or be changed in the vst. The audio can be routed to a track in Live (or again, whatever DAW you are using). Live also can be programmed using micros to control other programs...etc. I don't see why this would be such a bad thing to be able to do.
Last edited by TKM on 12 Oct 2020, edited 1 time in total.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

07 Oct 2020

TKM wrote:
01 Oct 2020

Question for the developers. Are there any plans to make the Reason stand alone project RNS files loadable (editable, start from scratch, etc) in the VST version in any upcoming upgrades?
Since there's no sequencer in Reason Rack Plugin per se, it's not quite straightforward. What is it you'd like to load, specifically?

For example, we could possibly develop a way to "browse" a Reason document for patches, samples and device chains. Would that help you out? Perhaps one could even access MIDI clips and audio tracks somehow, though those couldn't really be used inside Reason Rack Plugin.

jlgrimes

07 Oct 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
07 Oct 2020
TKM wrote:
01 Oct 2020

Since there's no sequencer in Reason Rack Plugin per se, it's not quite straightforward. What is it you'd like to load, specifically?

For example, we could possibly develop a way to "browse" a Reason document for patches, samples and device chains. Would that help you out? Perhaps one could even access MIDI clips and audio tracks somehow, though those couldn't really be used inside Reason Rack Plugin.
Definitely needs a way to drag refill samples into the DAW.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

07 Oct 2020

jlgrimes wrote:
07 Oct 2020
MattiasHG wrote:
07 Oct 2020

Definitely needs a way to drag refill samples into the DAW.
The ReFill format is encrypted and can only be read by Reason, so it isn't quite so straightforward. Appreciate the feedback though, will make a note of that!

PhillipOrdonez

07 Oct 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
07 Oct 2020
TKM wrote:
01 Oct 2020

Yeeeees this would be fantastic, saving one the hassle to load the project to find the stuff. Please do midi as well, and not just for RRP but for standalone as well, like live does where you can load a channel from a different project just from the browser 😀

esselfortium

07 Oct 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
07 Oct 2020
Yes please! I'd really love this feature for the standalone Reason DAW.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

TKM

07 Oct 2020

[/quote]

Thank you for this reply. This would be a very nice start. Is it necessary for RRP to have a sequencer when connected to a DAW? Wouldn't the DAW take over as the sequencer? I don't want to get hung up on the "RRP doesn't have a sequencer" issue. With the way things work today, I am sure that there can be a way for a DAW to be able to control tempo and other track functions and automations within a VST if a VST like RRP was programmed to allow that.
Like I stated above, I want to be able to load my older Reason Standalone tracks into RRP so I can either route all that audio (or Midi) into my DAW and or have the RRP be able to play the Standalone file so I can build on it in my DAW (If needed) and go back later to transfer the rest later if I wanted to.

Here is a video that somewhat explains part of what I am trying to do...

What he is doing in the video I want to be able to do that with tracks made in the standalone but also have that same track play along with any additional tracks that I have made in my daw. I hope this can clear up some confusion. Thanks.

Loque

07 Oct 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
07 Oct 2020
MattiasHG wrote:
07 Oct 2020

Yeeeees this would be fantastic, saving one the hassle to load the project to find the stuff. Please do midi as well, and not just for RRP but for standalone as well, like live does where you can load a channel from a different project just from the browser 😀
Tbh, i don't think this would be useful and i never would or could use it. It's difficult to extract a sound, sequence or sample without more context or make decisions what to extract without all information. It would be a hassle to browse and understand.
Just think of a sound which is side chained, which needs one or more other tracks, the track itself, the sound and insert fx, the send fx and maybe more to sound the same in a new song. How should i browse this in a file browser and understand all that stuff?
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

07 Oct 2020

Loque wrote:
07 Oct 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
07 Oct 2020

Tbh, i don't think this would be useful and i never would or could use it. It's difficult to extract a sound, sequence or sample without more context or make decisions what to extract without all information. It would be a hassle to browse and understand.
Just think of a sound which is side chained, which needs one or more other tracks, the track itself, the sound and insert fx, the send fx and maybe more to sound the same in a new song. How should i browse this in a file browser and understand all that stuff?
Have used it in Ableton, and in Reason I have copied channels from one project and pasted them on another. Maybe not useful for you, but useful for others 🤷‍♂️

Loque

08 Oct 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
07 Oct 2020
Loque wrote:
07 Oct 2020

Have used it in Ableton, and in Reason I have copied channels from one project and pasted them on another. Maybe not useful for you, but useful for others 🤷‍♂️
What belongs for you to a "channel"?
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2020

Maybe start by defining the problem?

Do you want to start to write a song in Reason and then continue/finish in Ableton?

Thus have an easy way to transfer over the midi lanes/clips and the Combinator instruments?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

PhillipOrdonez

08 Oct 2020

Loque wrote:
08 Oct 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
07 Oct 2020

What belongs for you to a "channel"?
Either audio with insert FX or an instrument and its midi, processing.

DaveyG

09 Oct 2020

FL Studio runs as a VST plugin and allows you to load up complete songs etc.
All the OP wants is to do the same with his existing Reason songs.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2020

Thanks guys for pushing this workflow. Hopefully RS sees the potential in having Reason Standalone as a sketchpad, together with their mobile app, and then move to a "bigger" DAW like Ableton or Cubase etc to finish production.

So if we can move over midi and a Combinator with VSTs to another DAW that would be a killer feature.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

TKM

12 Oct 2020

For iPhone and iPad only. Not really useful for desktop applications right now.

QVprod

13 Oct 2020

TKM wrote:
07 Oct 2020

Thank you for this reply. This would be a very nice start. Is it necessary for RRP to have a sequencer when connected to a DAW? Wouldn't the DAW take over as the sequencer? I don't want to get hung up on the "RRP doesn't have a sequencer" issue. With the way things work today, I am sure that there can be a way for a DAW to be able to control tempo and other track functions and automations within a VST if a VST like RRP was programmed to allow that.
Like I stated above, I want to be able to load my older Reason Standalone tracks into RRP so I can either route all that audio (or Midi) into my DAW and or have the RRP be able to play the Standalone file so I can build on it in my DAW (If needed) and go back later to transfer the rest later if I wanted to.

Here is a video that somewhat explains part of what I am trying to do...

What he is doing in the video I want to be able to do that with tracks made in the standalone but also have that same track play along with any additional tracks that I have made in my daw. I hope this can clear up some confusion. Thanks.

You’re quite literally asking for Rewire, which was recently discontinued with Reason 11. For you to open a Reason project and have it play back requires a sequencer.

Oquasec

25 Nov 2020

Reason 7+ method is nuts.
Loopmidi EMI.
open reason first.
open vst host second
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information