Rack extension idea: Time (h:m:s) visualizer for precise edits

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
sonicbyte

05 Oct 2020

Hi,

I would really need an extension that could track time selections from the loop selection or an audio clip in minutes, seconds, etc...
I need to export precise edits of different length versions of my songs (15s, 30s, 60s, etc) and unless the song/edit starts at 0 on the sequencer I have to mesure it by "eye" then export to other software to really know if my edit is correct and fix it there, sometimes had to go back to Reason reversion it again, export, measure again, awful flow....

Obviously this kind of feature should be default in Reason sequencer, but it would be amazing if there will a Rack Extension supplying this kind of task at least. I can't find anything like it in the store...

Thanks

Billy+

05 Oct 2020

I'm really curious why you would need to do that?

You could duplicate your track in multiple projects and use the H:M:SS display on the transport bar.
If you want them all in the same project file you could make multiple block then adjust to the desired lengths

Hope that helps as a solution without a rack extension.

guitfnky

05 Oct 2020

why someone would need to be able to export exact length clips? if they’re writing music for commercials, is the most likely reason, I’d guess.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

nooomy

05 Oct 2020

sonicbyte wrote:
05 Oct 2020
Hi,

I would really need an extension that could track time selections from the loop selection or an audio clip in minutes, seconds, etc...
I need to export precise edits of different length versions of my songs (15s, 30s, 60s, etc) and unless the song/edit starts at 0 on the sequencer I have to mesure it by "eye" then export to other software to really know if my edit is correct and fix it there, sometimes had to go back to Reason reversion it again, export, measure again, awful flow....

Obviously this kind of feature should be default in Reason sequencer, but it would be amazing if there will a Rack Extension supplying this kind of task at least. I can't find anything like it in the store...

Thanks
This might not be a fix but it might help you in your work flow:
it is a BPM beats-per-minute calculator
https://toolstud.io/music/bpm.php?bpm=1 ... unit=4%2F4

sonicbyte

06 Oct 2020

Billy wrote:
05 Oct 2020
I'm really curious why you would need to do that?

You could duplicate your track in multiple projects and use the H:M:SS display on the transport bar.
If you want them all in the same project file you could make multiple block then adjust to the desired lengths

Hope that helps as a solution without a rack extension.
I create music for music libraries for tv, media, etc... those are the length time standards, that's why I need precision, because I have to comply with those standards. If you check any other DAW, time visualization is as standard as bars and beats, in fact the only thing I need is to be able to measure time between loop markers.... is not that crazy what I'm looking for.

selig
RE Developer

06 Oct 2020

I don't believe an RE would be the best tool for the job, if it's even possible to do so with the current SDK.
What would be far simpler would be to add a single line in the Inspector that shows the selection position/length in "time" (in addition to the existing bars/beats length display). The information is already there, just in the wrong format…
Selig Audio, LLC

sonicbyte

07 Oct 2020

selig wrote:
06 Oct 2020
I don't believe an RE would be the best tool for the job, if it's even possible to do so with the current SDK.
What would be far simpler would be to add a single line in the Inspector that shows the selection position/length in "time" (in addition to the existing bars/beats length display). The information is already there, just in the wrong format…
Yes, in fact I think this is a thing that Reason should display in the main sequencer, like any other DAW out there... but I thought about a RE because the slow updates in this matter, and I really don't think this could be a priority in their long list of requested updates :D

• Information