Is there a RE with a frequency-exact bandpass filter?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
False Mirror

04 Oct 2020

Hi there,
I'm wondering if there is a RE that has a bandpass filter which can be tuned to an exact Hz frequency.
I want to use it as a building block for some additive synthesis combi device. Unfortunately all the RS's devices filters cannot be tuned to arbitrary precision.
The frequency resolution is better on the low end and gradually gets worse with higher frequencies. For example you cannot set the filter of Sweeper to exactly 6132 Hz, you can only choose between the closest 6120 Hz and 6150 Hz which is too inaccurate for my purpose.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Loque

04 Oct 2020

Try a filter, which can follow the keyboard. Start with the one in Thor.
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

04 Oct 2020

Loque wrote:
04 Oct 2020
but they’re looking for frequency-specific control, not note-specific control. doubt they want to use keyboard tracking to somehow set filter values way up in the 6k range.

I don’t think there’s an RE that lets you manually set values to that level of precision (could very well be wrong about that though). unfortunately you’d probably be better off looking at a VST for that. :(
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Loque

04 Oct 2020

guitfnky wrote:
04 Oct 2020
Loque wrote:
04 Oct 2020
but they’re looking for frequency-specific control, not note-specific control. doubt they want to use keyboard tracking to somehow set filter values way up in the 6k range.

I don’t think there’s an RE that lets you manually set values to that level of precision (could very well be wrong about that though). unfortunately you’d probably be better off looking at a VST for that. :(
I think there isnt even a oscillator RE or VST, that lets you define an exact frequency. I dont think, that anyone can here the difference in some frequency range too. Another problem is, that you cannot set it accurate enough, to have the same "sound" in each frequency, because the slops need to change and are different in in the frequency directions.

The experimenting sounds interesting, but nothing i would follow. Curious, if OP can find something and maybe he shows some results.
Reason12, Win10

loopeydoug

04 Oct 2020

I believe this will do the trick, no? https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... orremover/

eusti

04 Oct 2020

Loque wrote:
04 Oct 2020
I think there isnt even a oscillator RE or VST, that lets you define an exact frequency.
There is: Jiggery’s Ammo
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

But no clue in regards to filtering.

D.

Loque

04 Oct 2020

eusti wrote:
04 Oct 2020
Loque wrote:
04 Oct 2020
I think there isnt even a oscillator RE or VST, that lets you define an exact frequency.
There is: Jiggery’s Ammo
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

But no clue in regards to filtering.

D.
Sure.

Anyone tried this one for such a task?
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... scillator/

I mean, why not use an additive synth for an additive task?

Or just generate a wavetable outside in an editor.

But still curious about the filtering thing.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

04 Oct 2020

Pardon the obvious self promotion, but ColoringEQ can come very close. It has 12,000 steps of frequency precision across the audible spectrum. However, you cannot tune it to every single frequency. For example, if you wanted 1000 Hz, the closest you could get is 1000.4 Hz - which is still fairly precise. Closes to 6132 you can get is 6132.2 Hz which is again still fairly precise. More importantly, all the frequencies will be musically related so you can get precise octaves, fifths, etc above and below the chosen frequency.
With most filters/EQs the frequency control is set to a more musical logarithmic response such that there are an equal amount of "steps" for each octave. In the case of ColoringEQ and using the Fine Tune control, there are 1200 steps per octave (12 semitones, 100 cents each).
In addition, the filters and EQs can be set incredibly narrow for both boosts and cuts (the BP can be set to 48 dB/Oct), far more than you would ever need for most applications and definitely well beyond what the 12 dB/Oct BP filter in Sweeper can do FWIW. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

BRIGGS

04 Oct 2020

Guess the vst:
ffv.jpg
ffv.jpg (8.8 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
r11s

False Mirror

05 Oct 2020

Thank you all for the suggestions!
Maybe after all I would start writing my own RE (thinking of a filter bank with exact filter frequencies), however I rather spend my free time making music than developing (since I already do that during my day job).
selig wrote:
04 Oct 2020
It has 12,000 steps of frequency precision across the audible spectrum. However, you cannot tune it to every single frequency. For example, if you wanted 1000 Hz, the closest you could get is 1000.4 Hz - which is still fairly precise.
Sounds great, will give it a try!

selig
RE Developer

05 Oct 2020

False Mirror wrote:
05 Oct 2020
Thank you all for the suggestions!
Maybe after all I would start writing my own RE (thinking of a filter bank with exact filter frequencies), however I rather spend my free time making music than developing (since I already do that during my day job).
selig wrote:
04 Oct 2020
It has 12,000 steps of frequency precision across the audible spectrum. However, you cannot tune it to every single frequency. For example, if you wanted 1000 Hz, the closest you could get is 1000.4 Hz - which is still fairly precise.
Sounds great, will give it a try!
BTW, forgot to ask exactly what you have in mind? What would your ideal RE consist of? Who knows, maybe there's a wider need for such a product. I've already got the filters that are needed, but they are currently tuned to "pitch" rather than "frequency" (even though you can still get more precise with regards to frequency than other EQs).
Selig Audio, LLC

aeox
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
04 Oct 2020
Guess the vst:

ffv.jpg
Volcano 2

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

06 Oct 2020

Black Knight can do this, you'll need to use the sequencer to type in the specific value you want (to 1 decimal place). When you hit the V1 button that allows you to have up to 5x filters of the same type too (so multiple BPFs if you wanted). You could also use 2 bands for a LPF and HPF, turn of the others (to save some CPU cycles) and then set each to specific frequency centres so you could make a 'wider' BPF using the two filters, instead of the normal classic BPF.

Below is 2 views (classic knobs to show the readouts, hybrid to show the LP + HP effect on the frequencies to create the 'wider' BPF. Note that the start freq for the HPF is 80.3, and in the sequencer you can see the extra edit point of 80.4Hz, so yeah it's pretty precise in that respect.

Oh and if you want chromatic notes, change the mode (bottom left) to Chromatic to cover the 128 notes (from F-1 to C10, A4 = 440Hz)

Hope this helps a bit

BRIGGS

06 Oct 2020

aeox wrote:
06 Oct 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
04 Oct 2020
Guess the vst:

ffv.jpg
Volcano 2
r11s

Reasonable man

06 Oct 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
04 Oct 2020
Guess the vst:

ffv.jpg
Dont mean to derail the thread but (on a side note) have you ever noticed that some patches in volcano 2 dn't really make sense and cant be re-created?

As an example... take the one below . The first envelope follower is modulating its own attack no less that 4 times! The problem is..... you cant even select an env follower's attack as a destination target for its own envelope follower ..... you get a little red triangle if you even try to do this. yet If you try and remove any of the attack destination targets it efects the sound of the patch completley.
It can be difficult enough trying to reverse engineer some of volcano patches ..but if they cant be recreated from the get go ..it makes it even more difficult! Antway ..just saying..i found this promblem a few times with volcano.. still one of the best filters around though.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 15.51.08.png
Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 15.51.08.png (169.42 KiB) Viewed 2031 times

mjxl

07 Oct 2020

Uhm, doesn't this do the trick then?
sweepur.png
sweepur.png (226.79 KiB) Viewed 1956 times

selig
RE Developer

07 Oct 2020

mjxl wrote:
07 Oct 2020
That gives you 6.13 kHz (6130 Hz), so not quite.
Selig Audio, LLC

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

08 Oct 2020

selig wrote:
07 Oct 2020
And that's why Black Knight has this ability - we left the values as Hz only, no kHz conversion, so you can put in pure frequency values in if you wanted :D

mjxl

08 Oct 2020

selig wrote:
07 Oct 2020
mjxl wrote:
07 Oct 2020
Right, thought it might just show as 6.13, while being 6132 :thumbs_up:

• Information