Softube's new MiniMoog emulation - Model 72

Discuss VST stuff here!
miscend

29 Sep 2020

From Softube! Demos sound great!

https://www.softube.com/products/model- ... zer-system

The individual modules can be used in other Softube products such as Modular and Amp Room.

Loque

29 Sep 2020

The sounds in the video are crackling and sound awfull.
Reason12, Win10

hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2020

Arturia's Mini V ($149 - I don't know who buys Arturia's singles for full price, and if that's YOU then stop.)
Monark ($99 + the cost of Reaktor)
The Legend ($94)
Minimonsta ($129)
DIVA ($179)

And now Model 72 at $99 right now, $159 full price later.

As a standalone emulation it sounds fine - I can't really tell from my phone but it maybe sounds a little rawer and dirtier than some of the others, it's nothing we haven't heard before. I really like the GUI. The intro price is reasonable if you don't have one of these yet, but then when it goes back to its $159 regular price it's only $20 less than full blown DIVA.

Nice bait n hook technique to get you into their modular ecosystem though, cuz ooh look! you can use Model 72 modules there, so you need to buy that, and while you're there get some more modules, like the Buchla 296e for $149, and just keep going because you'll want them all even though you'll never use them.

So if I didn't have one of these emulations yet, then I'd get Model 72 right NOW at THIS price. The Legend is cool too, but I prefer Model 72's GUI. If you're into Softube's Modular then this thing was made with you in mind, because if you already own that, you're going to want this to add to your collection. You also get an additional discount if you own Modular/Amp Room. So they want you specifically to buy this.

If you have some or all of the above emulations like I do, and are not into modular, then Model 72 as a straight up emulation of the synth, offers nothing new.

I have approved this review.

Bang.
Last edited by hurricane on 29 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2020

Oh, and if you use the code: MONOPHONICLEGEND this drops down to $79. Hurry in case it is a mistake, cuz it might be.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Loque

29 Sep 2020

hurricane wrote:
29 Sep 2020
Arturia's Mini V ($149 - I don't know who buys Arturia's singles for full price, and if that's YOU then stop.)
Monark ($99 + the cost of Reaktor)
The Legend ($94)
Minimonsta ($129)
DIVA ($179)
Clearly buy DIVA before you get this one.

I payed maybe 5-10 bucks for Arturia in the bundle.

The Legend is uber cheap in Synapse Bundle, which can be bought for 99-129 depending on Synapse's mood.

Dunno Monark or Minimoster....but really, no one would pay 159 for this model 72. The prices Softube calls out are like they were still the only guys bringing quality to the world. Their stuff isnt worth any price tag they called in the last 5 years or more. And the bundle prices are rediciously too.
Reason12, Win10

hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2020

I'm saving my money for whatever Gforce are about to release.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Trefor

29 Sep 2020

I have The Legend. It will do just fine.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2020

Trefor wrote:
29 Sep 2020
I have The Legend. It will do just fine.
The Legend has been on deep sale at $50, and BF is getting closer...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Marco Raaphorst

30 Sep 2020

would love to hear an A/B compare with The Legend

danc

30 Sep 2020

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
30 Sep 2020
I spent an hour this morning making patches in both The Legend and Model 72, running them side-by-side... and my instant reaction was...

The Legend sounded more "digital" "hard" "snappy" ... whereas the M72 sounded more "analogue" "warm" "creamy". The M72 sounded like what I expect a vintage hardware Moog to sound like.

Then I made a range of different types of sounds (bass, leads, pads etc.) using matched settings on both. They were poles apart from each other. Even with a few tweaks to try and match them up they still didn't sound the same. M72 being always warmer.

I have a Moog Sub 37 which sounds more like Legend than it does the M72. Be clear The Legend can't do the modulation tricks of the Sub 37, so I'm in no rush to get rid of the Sub 37. The Sub 37 is known to be more "modern" sounding Moog than say the Model D. What it does tell me is that the M72 is a closer sound to the Moog Model D than The Legend or Sub 37.

I know you'd want to see videos and examples and no-doubt they'll appear soon enough online. Didn't have time to make one myself.

Bottom line... I think you should give M72 a run and not try and mix it up with The Legend. The controls look similar, but they are definitely different beasts. If you want that retro Moog sound, then jump for M72. If you want a more modern Moog sound, then jump for The Legend.
Check my Soundcloud:

Marco Raaphorst

30 Sep 2020

danc wrote:
30 Sep 2020
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
30 Sep 2020
I spent an hour this morning making patches in both The Legend and Model 72, running them side-by-side... and my instant reaction was...

The Legend sounded more "digital" "hard" "snappy" ... whereas the M72 sounded more "analogue" "warm" "creamy". The M72 sounded like what I expect a vintage hardware Moog to sound like.

Then I made a range of different types of sounds (bass, leads, pads etc.) using matched settings on both. They were poles apart from each other. Even with a few tweaks to try and match them up they still didn't sound the same. M72 being always warmer.

I have a Moog Sub 37 which sounds more like Legend than it does the M72. Be clear The Legend can't do the modulation tricks of the Sub 37, so I'm in no rush to get rid of the Sub 37. The Sub 37 is known to be more "modern" sounding Moog than say the Model D. What it does tell me is that the M72 is a closer sound to the Moog Model D than The Legend or Sub 37.

I know you'd want to see videos and examples and no-doubt they'll appear soon enough online. Didn't have time to make one myself.

Bottom line... I think you should give M72 a run and not try and mix it up with The Legend. The controls look similar, but they are definitely different beasts. If you want that retro Moog sound, then jump for M72. If you want a more modern Moog sound, then jump for The Legend.
Thanks. Wasn't expecting this.

I thought The Legend was the best Moog sim ever. A/B I wasn't able to tell which is which compared to a real Moog. Maybe this one is dirtier. Will try it out. Thanks!

danc

30 Sep 2020

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
30 Sep 2020
danc wrote:
30 Sep 2020

Thanks. Wasn't expecting this.

I thought The Legend was the best Moog sim ever. A/B I wasn't able to tell which is which compared to a real Moog. Maybe this one is dirtier. Will try it out. Thanks!
I agree - I wasn't expecting it either. Whatever the reason... for me, M27 just sounds more alive and animated. After trying it out again for another hour I bought it - which might seem mad as I have this area covered in The Legend, plus Arturia's Mini and Modular V. For me it is light an dark better. Picked up for $79 using code (see posts above).
Check my Soundcloud:

Kalm

30 Sep 2020

I got The Legend cause of access in Reason, Monark in NI, but its nothing like $300 for a Boog Model D. End all be all. Yes I will be collecting a Poly D sometime in the near future as well.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

danc

30 Sep 2020

Kalm wrote:
30 Sep 2020
I got The Legend cause of access in Reason, Monark in NI, but its nothing like $300 for a Boog Model D. End all be all. Yes I will be collecting a Poly D sometime in the near future as well.
I've been eyeing the Behringer Model D - however... my pause to not buy isn't because of the extra cost compared to say Model 27... it is actually because the Boog doesn't respond to midi CC (send or receive). So - you have to record everything real-time. Which is great for that "live" feel, but rubbish if you want to do intricate razor tight automation.

So - for me, the M27 is a great compromise. Maybe not as authentic and great sounding as a Boog, but has the ability to be automated as much as I please.

Plus - I only just picked up a Korg Minilogue XD and so... I really should be keeping an eye on my GAS issues! Me have GAS, you have GAS, we all have GAS!
Check my Soundcloud:

hurricane
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2020

I finally gave this a solid test vs the others I own. I'd say the immediate thing I notice is that M72 has this overall retro sheen all over it, in between it, and bleeding through it. It's very noticeable and sticks out clearly when compared to the others.

Diva - Diva sounded like if Roland made a Model D.
Arturia MiniV - Got this sounding the most similar although that retro sheen is missing.
The Legend - This one seems somewhat clinical, like it focused all its energy on making accurate Model D sounds and then was too tired to add its retro character.
Monark - Was too brutish sounding and again that retro magic was missing.

I might go for M72 if the Moog sound was a critical part of MY sound. For someone who sprinkles in a Moog sound here and there, I'm ok using the others.

However, M72 sounds really good and has a lot of that retro character I like and that's missing from the others. I might buy it just for that, and if I did, it could very well replace all the others.

Signed,

Twisted and Confused.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Kalm

30 Sep 2020

danc wrote:
30 Sep 2020
Kalm wrote:
30 Sep 2020
I've been eyeing the Behringer Model D - however... my pause to not buy isn't because of the extra cost compared to say Model 27... it is actually because the Boog doesn't respond to midi CC (send or receive). So - you have to record everything real-time. Which is great for that "live" feel, but rubbish if you want to do intricate razor tight automation.

So - for me, the M27 is a great compromise. Maybe not as authentic and great sounding as a Boog, but has the ability to be automated as much as I please.

Plus - I only just picked up a Korg Minilogue XD and so... I really should be keeping an eye on my GAS issues! Me have GAS, you have GAS, we all have GAS!
I send MIDI out of Reason to retriever the Model D all the time. Why can't you do so?
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

danc

30 Sep 2020

Kalm wrote:
30 Sep 2020
danc wrote:
30 Sep 2020

I send MIDI out of Reason to retriever the Model D all the time. Why can't you do so?
Behringer Model D can receive Midi... But as far as I have read it doesn't respond to midi CC data. So I won't be able to automate cut off etc.

I am referring to the desktop model... Not the more expensive keyboard version.

Tell me if I am wrong. The manual says it doesn't respond to midi CC. And there are various forum posts on gearslutz about it.
Check my Soundcloud:

Kalm

30 Sep 2020

Oh that I’m not sure. You’re probably right. I got it to be more live like or I just use sweeper to do my automation

Marco Raaphorst

30 Sep 2020

Yeah bought it. Naughty synth!

Loque

30 Sep 2020

raymondh wrote:
30 Sep 2020
Someone has posted a comparison video here:

Interesting. I can hear some differences, some things i like more than the others. But if someone would ask me "which one is a real one?", i wouldnt mind in any way.

I just think, that the Softube one sounds pretty often out of tune, a bit too much drifting. Not sure if this can be lowered. The Legend has a switch (and a lot of others, including model revision!) for this at the back. And the Softube lacks a bit low end and has a bit more distortion/noise in the filter. But really, its hard to say, since you need to 100% exactly match every control, which is nearly impossible. The real Moog sounds a bit more smooth in the mids than the other two IMO.

If i need to choose one, i would clearly go for Synapse. Crank up all the switches like drift, Reso range, key tracking, feedback and drive, and the more analogy this thing goes...And its in the Synapse bundle for the price of a big mac with coke....unbeatable.
Last edited by Loque on 30 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2020

The was a guy who compared The Legend to all the others, Diva, Monark, Arturia, etc. It was a no competition imo. Though the others are OK most of the time for their own sound, or when layered, The Legend was the only one with The Mojo.

Here is a guy comparing HW to Legend and M72. I'd say the three are within component tolerances and aging.

What I like is how Softube price it well. Also that we will probably see more from them. The modular add on for those who use their modular system is nice too.

Strobe2 is one of the best SH-101 emulsions. But what I think makes it stand out are the extensive FX section and modulation capabilities. It expands the sound palette far beyond the old HW and brings it into 2020. I think Softube should do this for future retro synths they develop.

I guess many synth developers just got nervous.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MarkTarlton

30 Sep 2020

I want to hear what it sounds like to feedback sounds back into the filter, Luna/UA's moog does the best job in my opinion, but it comes at a price.

tallguy

01 Oct 2020

Being quite familiar with Legend, I instantly noticed the difference when trying out Model 72. It's way dirtier and grittier sounding. Almost as if they made a caricature of what most people imagine an old synth sounds like.

Will play around with the trial a bit more, but my wallet is already shaking its head, saying: "Admit it, you know where this is going"

• Information