Drop and Lift - Semitone Transpose Creative FX

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

17 Mar 2020

Introductory price! Discount until 31 March
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nspose-fx/

DROP'N'LIFT is a creative semitone transpose effect, that can help you re-tune your instrument from 1 semitone (halfstep) up to 2 octaves up or down.
Drop tune and Lift tune - is what this device is designed to do. It is a polyphonic re-tuning effect for any kind of audio signal. The device changes the tuning in intervals as an integer number of halftones.

The device draws inspiration from the famous red guitar pedal with Drop Tune functionality. This helps to transpose the input signal of a guitar (or any other signal source) by semitones. This functionality is the main feature of the device, but much bigger additional features are available and totally change the main idea of a simple transpose effect.

DROP'N'LIFT works with two separate Tune lines (Line A and Line B). Both lines can transpose the incoming signal in the range -24 / 0 / +24 semitones (half-steps) separately (in linear or parallel mode) . The device includes 7 modes:

☝Line A / B Tune modes: There you can transpose LINE A TUNE or LINE B TUNE for incoming signals and switch them.
☝ DUAL Tune mode: There you can transpose LINE A TUNE and LINE B TUNE for incoming signals simultaneously in parallel mode.
☝ OPPOSED Tune mode changes Line A/B intervals symmetrically as positive and mirror negative tunes in parallel mode.
☝ PAN Tune Mode uses A/B signal lines in parallel mode at the same time as L/R channel tunes.
☝ GLITCH mode simultaneously changes Line A/B Tune intervals symmetrically to get creative glitchy sounds.
☝ Mid/Side Tune mode re-tunes signals individually for Line A and Line B as Tunes of MID and SIDE signals.

☀ The DRY/WET functionality adds a dry and wet control for mixing incoming and processed signals. If you set the DRY/WET control to 50%, it simulates a 12 string guitar effect for Line A or Line B tune.

⌛ This is a semitone effect for re-tuning and creating layers of retuned signals in many creative ways!. It's not a pitch-shifter fx! 
When you change intervals in real-time, you will notice some artifacts because the device works with a range of integers, not a decimal number of semitones. You can use the device like a real-time pitch-shifter in creative ways, but keep in mind that the device changes the intervals as an integer number of halftones without decimal smoothing. It is a creative transpose effect, not a pitch-shifter!

☀ 
An important part of the semitone transpose effect is the Smooth functionality. By default, in Poly mode, it helps to transpose the signal with phase-align shifting. In Mono mode, it acts like a classical pitch-shifting effect where interval transposing (shifting) sounds somewhat glitchy.
☀ The heart of the effect is a Transpose Resolution that can set a delay size in ms or quaretr notes, to optimise the transpose shifting effect of the processed signal. It also can be used as creative delay/slide fx.
☀ 
The Momentary switch is used to momentarily enable, or bypass the effect (with pressing "SOFT BYPASS" button).

☀ 
Try the DROP'N'LIFT - creative transpose-shift utility for re-tuning of instruments on the fly, create fast semitone-shiftings with Momentary mode, and create a mix of Line A/B Tune or DUAL tune (in parallel mode) with the original incoming signal.

DROP'N'LIFT is not only a Guitar double Drop/Lift semitone tune shifter. It can also be a Synthesizer Sub/Hi generator, an Octave generator with crossfades, a tune-shifter sequencer with external CV source, and a Note-tuner with a lite-shifting crossfade effect.

praznovsky.m
Competition Winner

17 Mar 2020

Visually looks really good.

Is it possible to create glide on note switch?

turn2on
RE Developer

17 Mar 2020

There no midi note glide, you need read manual to better understand how it work, but you can use transpose resolution to like a glide effect in half-step shift changes.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Mar 2020

Trying this out just now...something I don't understand though. If I tune my guitar up two octaves (+24) then turn the resolution up to full then I get a pretty cool delay with 7 repeats on the note. If I tune my guitar to just one octave higher though (+12) with the same resolution setting then I get only 3 repeats on the note. Why isn't it the same? I haven't changed the resolution...only changed the transposition value. I've got Polar already but I like the resolution effect you've added.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

turn2on
RE Developer

18 Mar 2020

Resolution measured in ms, its parameter of grain length / delay size. It can be synced to the tempo.
Transpose - is a semitone shifts (speed of selected grain size in ms, or synced time to tempo).
If you select some Transpose Resolution and not touch it more, with this - you set some ms delay (in selected grain size). And if you tune semitones, speed of this grain also changed (when you use static setting of Resolution).
Of course in this situation Tune - change speed of grain with every semitone. And you can listen it only with Tune changes.
If you minimize Resolution, you minimize size of grain, and work with Tune - change this picture.

More semitones Tune - more repeats on big Resolution (range of it - instant/800ms)

Its interesting fx to use and you can check it with one static long sound as example: set Resolution to Intstant. And drop/lift Tune. You have very fast attack on changes. Set Resolution to Tempo synced. And changing Resolution, every time testing drop/lift tune moves of semitones.
You find how Resolution change attack/delay. Its very usable.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Mar 2020

turn2on wrote:
18 Mar 2020
Resolution measured in ms, its parameter of grain length / delay size. It can be synced to the tempo.
Transpose - is a semitone shifts (speed of selected grain size in ms, or synced time to tempo).
If you select some Transpose Resolution and not touch it more, with this - you set some ms delay (in selected grain size). And if you tune semitones, speed of this grain also changed (when you use static setting of Resolution).
Of course in this situation Tune - change speed of grain with every semitone. And you can listen it only with Tune changes.
If you minimize Resolution, you minimize size of grain, and work with Tune - change this picture.

More semitones Tune - more repeats on big Resolution (range of it - instant/800ms)

Its interesting fx to use and you can check it with one static long sound as example: set Resolution to Intstant. And drop/lift Tune. You have very fast attack on changes. Set Resolution to Tempo synced. And changing Resolution, every time testing drop/lift tune moves of semitones.
You find how Resolution change attack/delay. Its very usable.
Thanks. Yeah...I do like it. maybe if I add an extra delay in the chain I'll get the effect I'm trying to achieve. Using this RE predominantly on guitar.

Edit: That worked. Added a second delay and set it to 800ms to match the resolution on Drop and Lift.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

HeresJohnny312

20 Mar 2020

sounds very cool (not so hot the graphics though), but going to try it out soon on some synths and see if it sounds good!

turn2on
RE Developer

20 Mar 2020

History of fx started from well known red Whammy pedal - Drop Tune part of pedal (DT). So GUI also on this way.
Drop’n’Lift work very nice with synths.
You must test it with various source signals, Poly/Mono modes change work of effect, because Mono is more glitchy and classical shifts, for pure signals, and Poly is more for polyphonic sounds with chords and smoothing signal.
Also!!! Remember that modes as Mid/Side work with stereo signal. If you test it with mono signal- you can listen only Line A, as Mid, mono not have Side effect.
Also Glitch.. at start better to understand it - use some drum loops or reach stereo signals

@MrFigg, yes at start of work we plan to compensate delays, but find as it now work - more creative.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2020

In case anyone missed this one...just wanted to say check it out. It's fckring magic :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

moneykube

26 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
26 Sep 2020
In case anyone missed this one...just wanted to say check it out. It's fckring magic :)
and I like it too :puf_smile:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

guitfnky

26 Sep 2020

how does it compare to Ghammy? in terms of sound more than anything else. I tend to prefer straight octaving instead of using the pedal to go between pitches.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

turn2on
RE Developer

27 Sep 2020

If we talk about pitching as active sliding in selected range, the Ghammy created for this.
You not need pedal to control this process, because GHAMMY from last updates - include Momentary button mode, where you select needed pitch mode, and with one momentary button change pitch. Pitch can be created with selected length, from immediately pitch to the slow pitch-sliding for selected time.
Ghammy also is a Harmoniser (Harry mode), Phaser and Flanger (Detune mode).

About Drop'n'Lift:
This is a transpose effect. You can preselect needed semitone and enable transpose effect to get immidiately it in normal mode, or also using momentary button (when hold momentary button, you have selected semitone transpose).
Drop'n'Lift also can used in real-time, but as you understand, pitch-sliding created with jumps only from one semitone to another, skipping other positions.. only semitones available.

Drop'n'Lift cant work as harmoniser, or Phaser/Flanger...
But, Drop'n'Lift include very interesting creative modes:
- Semitone transposing
- Dual semitone transposing (parallel)
- Opposed transposing (like a mix of -12 and +12 semi at once, or -11 and +11)
- Pan transposing (Left/Right channels transposed individually with own semitones settings)
- Glitch (also use dual semitones as sum that create glitchy sound)
- Mid/Side (Mid and Side channels have individual semitone transposing control)

This is a very different effects with own results.
Both of them based on the granular engine, that help to set resolution (time buffer) for transposing / pitch-shifting process.

Original Whammy DT - include pitch-shifiting, and drop-tune (transposing functional) in one edition of the pedal (DT).
We created 2 devices, because they can really more. Drop'n'Lift is much more better and interesting, than section of the DropTune from Whammy DT..

Various principles of work, various results. But if you need in the simple semitone settings that you setup once and work with it all time (w/o any changes), both of them can help to you. To set needed semotone once, its faster with Drop'n'Lift.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2020

guitfnky wrote:
26 Sep 2020
how does it compare to Ghammy? in terms of sound more than anything else. I tend to prefer straight octaving instead of using the pedal to go between pitches.
If you can imagine having pitched crystal delay drops added to the strings you're picking on your guitar you maybe get close. Seriously...it's one of the good ones.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

27 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
27 Sep 2020
guitfnky wrote:
26 Sep 2020
If you can imagine having pitched crystal delay drops added to the strings you're picking on your guitar you maybe get close. Seriously...it's one of the good ones.
I believe it. love the Ghammy. sounds like they might have similar sound characteristics, since I’ve gotten that sort of thing out of Ghammy. just trying to understand if having both would be redundant for my purposes. guess there’s no substitute for demoing it! :)
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2020

guitfnky wrote:
27 Sep 2020
MrFigg wrote:
27 Sep 2020

I believe it. love the Ghammy. sounds like they might have similar sound characteristics, since I’ve gotten that sort of thing out of Ghammy. just trying to understand if having both would be redundant for my purposes. guess there’s no substitute for demoing it! :)
They’re totally different from each other.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

moneykube

27 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
27 Sep 2020
guitfnky wrote:
27 Sep 2020

They’re totally different from each other.
yep... got both
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2020

Just wanted to bring this RE up again. Did a little bit of funk guitar chakachaka...you know. Then I played a bassline on my guitar with dry/wet at 50% and dual A/B one octave up and one octave down. Maaaan...Funkadelic!!! Instant P-Funk. I'm tellin' ya. Aweesome.

Edit: Just added a 7th.....aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!! Great!!!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information