Using multiple track recording from mixer

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
ejanuska

05 Nov 2018

Is anyone using a mixer such as Beheringer X32, Zoom LiveTrak L-20, PreSonus StudioLive 16 Series III Digital Mixer, or similar device to record with Reason?
I would like to record multiple tracks live and I need a replacement for my current audio interface. Using a mixer as an audio interface looks like an good option with newer mixers including audio interface options.
I also like the appeal of leaving shit like instruments and mics, plugged in and not having to reconfigure a bunch of settings and levels every time I want to record overdubs from a different device.
I'm considering buying one in the $1000-$1800 range so any other suggestions are OK, but I don't want something that requires an iPad or other tablet to control it. TASCAM 24 is out, I would like 96k resolution minimum.
I'm not even sure if I would be better off buying an audio interface for sound quality or other performance issues I haven't even considered.
Maybe a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB 18x20 Audio Interface is all I really need...

QVprod

05 Nov 2018

If you just want enough inputs to leave stuff plugged in, buying a mixer is a waste. Just buy an audio interface with the amount of inputs you need. If you're recording bands live (multiple musicians simultaneously), then a mixer has a slight benefit in physical control, but most multichannel interfaces have built in mixers anyway.

Also, many of the cheaper mixers like the ones you mentioned only go up to 48K recording if 96k is really important to you.

ejanuska

05 Nov 2018

Part of me agrees with you. I'll get more sound quality for the money, take a up less real estate.
Another part of me wants to have hardware that has a function. Sometimes the mouse is a drag.

QVprod

05 Nov 2018

You could always buy a separate controller. Will probably come out to the same price range.

dbdecker

27 Jun 2020

im looking into the allen & heath OU-16 right now to do this, being a digital mixer with a full 24/22 I/O digital interface built in and motorised fadders to boot.

selig
RE Developer

28 Jun 2020

I love my L-20, and use it as an interface for all my hardware synths (and the occasional contact mic etc. for sampling). As a recorder, I use it for live shows, but it's also saved many great and fleeting ideas when I didn't have time to boot Reason and assign all the tracks. Very easy to get the audio from the SD card into Reason, or just play it in real time into Reason.

I thought I'd only use it with my live setup, but it's worked out quite well with my studio setup/Reason. Want to do a live stream of the setup when the "real" studio finally gets built (waiting on permits as I write this).
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

28 Jun 2020

Sound Quality will Go UP. Guaranteed.

'Im a mixer fanatic and have used a bunch.

I've owned , L-12(or 16), , Native Inst S8

I currently use iRig Mix, Zoom H6, Behr UFX 1208, Roland MX-1, and a few Eurorack mixers.
I'm after the DJM-10, but the HP/LP filter redesign is off-putting.

I'm sold on them.
Per channel - or personalized - filters and EQs gives you good practice in "driving your mixes into the (onboard or otherwise) Compressor."

The Digital EQ of the L series (or DAW-based) were less "lively" than mixers w/ analog eqs. just my experience...
ejanuska wrote:
05 Nov 2018
I'm not even sure if I would be better off buying an audio interface for sound quality or other performance issues I haven't even considered.
Maybe a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB 18x20 Audio Interface is all I really need...

demt

29 Jun 2020

not many mixers have more than 2 channel output ive got 2 6channel mixers to get 4 channels through my umc1820 soundcard into reason with the further option of using the soundcard directly for any other inputs, requires flexable thinking!
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Sterioevo

30 Jun 2020

I have used the original Presonus Studiolive and AI series consoles extensively with Reason for years, both in the studio and in live recording environments. Overall I have been more than happy with the workflow and results.
I don't use a large console in my home studio though as I don't generally need more than 4 in/outs on a day to day basis, nor do I have the space to have this permanently setup.
The ability to record to SD in the newer consoles is a fantastic addition. If I was to invest in a new console I would be giving the soundcraft SI series some research time.

Ras Keita

18 Aug 2020

I recently got a Midas Venice F32, albeit what seems dated firewire, it can stream as many firewire audio channels bi-directionally as there are mixer channels.
I also have a Soundcraft Signature 22MTK which has a 24-in 22-out USB interface.
I saw and fell in love with the Behringer WING, oh my this seemed to be the future, but alas it had a very convoluted/complex way to do simple analog like AUX routing.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/midas-venice-f32

TheDragonborg

21 Aug 2020

I use a mixer with my hardware cause I do a lot of live recordings and love it despite only recording the 2bus. My interface only has 2 inputs anyway. It means I need to get the mix right when performing the track but playing around with the mixer is so much fun.

selig
RE Developer

21 Aug 2020

In doing research for a new multi-channel interface, I'm investigating two mixers and a more traditional interface. The traditional interface would the the Apollo x8p, which gives me 8 mic preamps and some great modeling plugins that can be recorded "through".
For roughly the same price point, the two mixers are the Midas M32R Live and Allen & Heath SQ-5. both which give me 16 mic preamps, 17 motorized faders, modeling plugins (cost extra for the SQ-5), 32 channels I/O via USB, plus recording to SD cards. Basically much of what I have with my Zoom L-20 but with the ability to use the motorized faders.

I'm still in the building phase for my new studio, with electrical almost finished and awaiting inspection next week so I still have time to decide. But I'm really torn - I want 16 mic preamps eventually, so the Apollo won't cut it on it's own, which means I still need 8 more preamps. But the Apollo has great vintage preamp modeling which the others do not. Both the Midas and the Allen & Heath have pros and cons too, so I'm really not sure where I'll end up!

Anyone with experience of the Midas or A & H boards?
Selig Audio, LLC

jam-s

22 Sep 2020

The Behringer X32 or X32 compact might also be an option (even cheaper and also using midas preamps).

selig
RE Developer

23 Sep 2020

jam-s wrote:
22 Sep 2020
The Behringer X32 or X32 compact might also be an option (even cheaper and also using midas preamps).
I just got a big box with the Midas M32r LIVE mixer, hopefully won't end up sending it back. I get 16 mic preamps for the same price of the Apollo interface I was considering, plus 16 motorized faders and similar plugins to record through as the Apollo, plus I can remote control it when recording myself. Don't know how well it will work out compared to the Apollo, or how much difference the X32 would have been (heard stories about how unreliable the X32 is over the years). The jury is still out, but I'm going to give it a go - I'll report back here when I have a better idea, but my main room is far from finished (still waiting on doors and flooring) so it will be hard to totally test until then.
Still, I'm excited about getting a new toy, as always! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

23 Sep 2020

I mean why not?

I'm using a 32 channel analog mixer into an 8 channel audio interface and most of the time I'm only recording one track at a time. If you think you need more channels at once, then either get an interface with several inputs or a mixer.. or both.

The world is your oyster.

O1B

23 Sep 2020

$1000-1500 gives you lots of room.

I like the L-X options from Zoom. L-8 soon for me. Convenient.

Check out Switchcraft.. ~$300

w/ a DBB25 to USB C... $25-50

I prefer full LIVE mixING at the same time... WMD ..$1K

w/ it's DB-25 ...$250
https://www.wmdevices.com/collections/e ... ts/pm-db25

When I get up the nerve, I want to try the DJM-10.
I'd give up MULTI-TRACKING for...
Frequency Range 20 - 40000 Hz. :thumbs_up:
Sampling Rate. 96 kHz
A/D Converter. 32 bit. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
D/A Converter. 32 bit. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
:redface: Filters/EG/Gain :redface:
but... $3000 ... ;)

... lots of options for $1000-1500.

Godspeed.

O1B

24 Sep 2020

Roland MX-1

Proper Filters n Things... :puf_smile:

I won't part with it anytime soon.
O1B-MX1-x.JPG
O1B-MX1-x.JPG (707.65 KiB) Viewed 3744 times

selig
RE Developer

25 Sep 2020

Midas M32r first impressions after two days in my temp studio setup ("dining room"):
Drivers for Mac are sweet, buffer of 64 plays big songs fine @44.1 and 48 kHz.
Latency is almost imperceptible at 64 or 128 buffer settings.
The setup automatically provides direct monitoring of audio sources, so latency is mainly an issue for MIDI performances.
32 channels I/O via USB is impressive and useful for a bigger setup like this.
16 mic pres, which are nice and quiet and sound great with everything I've plugged into them so far.
6 additional Aux inputs for my LA-610, 6176, Zoom L20, and PCM-70 so I don't tie up the main inputs.
Remote control via wifi will mean I can sit at my drums and change levels etc.

Why do I need so many inputs? I'll have my full 1970s Gretsch kit, a V-Drums kit, guitars (electric and acoustic), percussion, vocal mic etc. and just want to finally have everything plugged in and levels set and ready to go at the push of a button. This has been a dream ever since I saw photos of Stewart Copland's home studio with a similar approach (one big room full of instruments with everything plugged in at once). When working alone this will help immensely.

DAW control is limited to 8 faders (not something I knew before I set it up), but means it can work along side of 8 audio channels and I've had a few 8 channel controllers before so I'm OK with that. Remote control of transport and fader/mute/solo with scribble strips (Reason's colors don't translate, sadly). There is also support for control of Reason devices which is nice for automating a parameter or two with moving faders.

More info as I discover it!
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

25 Sep 2020

Wow. Thanks for that, Selig.

Arg!!! Why only XLR??!!
selig wrote:
25 Sep 2020
Midas M32r first impressions after two days in my temp studio setup ("dining room"):
Drivers for Mac are sweet, buffer of 64 plays big songs fine @44.1 and 48 kHz.
Latency is almost imperceptible at 64 or 128 buffer settings.
The setup automatically provides direct monitoring of audio sources, so latency is mainly an issue for MIDI performances.
32 channels I/O via USB is impressive and useful for a bigger setup like this.
More info as I discover it!

selig
RE Developer

25 Sep 2020

O1B wrote:
25 Sep 2020

Arg!!! Why only XLR??!!
I know, right? But luckily for me, the things I actually need 1/4" for are covered with the 6 Aux inputs: my Zoom L20 L/R, PCM-70, and UA-610 & 6176 (which could use XLR, but don't need to go through another mic preamp). Combo jacks would be appreciated, but I got lucky I guess in that I wouldn't need them anyway.
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

25 Sep 2020

Check! Really Nice Mixer!
I think I’ll L8 first - but - this is the Future.

....one more niggle.... 24 :shock: vs 32-bit... :|
That difference is meaningful sonically, IMO.

I like Thunderstorms in my Mixes. :mrgreen:
selig wrote:
25 Sep 2020
O1B wrote:
25 Sep 2020

Arg!!! Why only XLR??!!
I know, right? But luckily for me, the things I actually need 1/4" for are covered with the 6 Aux inputs: my Zoom L20 L/R, PCM-70, and UA-610 & 6176 (which could use XLR, but don't need to go through another mic preamp). Combo jacks would be appreciated, but I got lucky I guess in that I wouldn't need them anyway.

O1B

25 Sep 2020

W.O.W.

Midas M32r
Virtual FX rack with over 50 world-class effects processors built in
Midas developed 16 new effects processors for the M32R LIVE based on their True Physical Modeling technology. At Sweetwater, we appreciate the sound-shaping power these spot-on emulations of classic audio processors provide — the Urei 1176, Teletronix LA-2A, and Fairchild 670 compressors, Pultec's EQP-1A and EQ5 equalizers, and more. In all you've got more than 50 processors to work with, replacing racks full of expensive and sensitive outboard equipment.

Ras Keita

27 Sep 2020

selig wrote:
25 Sep 2020
Midas M32r first impressions after two days in my temp studio setup
Midas equipment is exceptional. I've used the M32 & M32 Live in several FOH locations recently. They're both great in a live situation (library/scenes) DSP, etc. I'm probably too old school, and have and prefer analog EFX. I bought the Behringer WING returned it and got the Midas F32 although it doesn't have motorized faders I have X-Touch and 2 X-Touch Extenders will be getting third soon for 32 channel DAW control. I also have a live room with vintage Sonor Phonic Plus Series drums, Rhodes, Wurlitzer 112, Ampeg B15 Portaflex, Teac A-3440 4-Track R2R, various other ancient pieces therefore the idea is to keep everything analog. Although of course I have modern equipment incorporated for example UAD-2 Satellite USB/OCTO, 2x Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, etc. I say all this because I also like having the ability to have an entire setup plugged in at the ready.

O1B

05 Oct 2020

Loving the L-8. Tre Elegante:
O1B-L8-1x.JPG
O1B-L8-1x.JPG (748.98 KiB) Viewed 3640 times
I still need 32bits, but this is damn convenient.

O1B

08 Oct 2020

Nice Overdubbbing!!

• Information