Sequences 1.4 - With Per-Note Conditions!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

20 Sep 2020

EnochLight wrote:
20 Sep 2020
Thanks - this is exactly what I needed. It was obviously “user error”! :? :lol:
You don't have to tell me about user error.... man, oh man!
If I had a dollar.... I'd have at least a dollar.

Glad I could help you out. :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

buddard
RE Developer

22 Sep 2020

chrispy wrote:
17 Sep 2020
I have spotted one issue that seems repeatable, and I can’t test with 1.3 (since I’ve upgrade the RE already) to know whether it is something that has changed in 1.4. Here are the steps to recreate:
  • In pattern 1 of Sequences, reduce the pattern length to 16 steps, then draw out a pattern in the first 16 steps
  • Create a pattern automation lane for Sequences
  • Draw out a pattern clip from bars 2.1.1.0 to 5.1.1.0 (i.e. 3 repetitions of that pattern in one clip). Note that the problem doesn't happen if the clip is at the start of the song at 1.1.1.0.
  • Put the left and right loop markers around this clip, engage loop and press play
  • The first time through the loop you hear the three pattern iterations correctly
  • However, when the playhead loops back to 2.1.1.0 the pattern stops and doesn’t restart until later into the clip
This issue should now be fixed in Sequences 1.4.1 that we released a couple of hours ago!
Thanks again for reporting!

stuk71

23 Sep 2020

Not long purchased this... what an amazing piece of kit?

Thank you!

Been messing about with the bass line riff from 'Delorean Dynamite' (link) in conjunction with the new note conditions; that combined with key transpose using a midi controller. :thumbs_up: :reason:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y5mgc4sg6cu0 ... BFXNa?dl=0

Ive been using the 'NewAgerBass' found on the Korg Mono/Poly RE and messing with the cutoff and res

friday

23 Sep 2020

This update is so fu** nice. Thanks so much.

I was dreaming of an option to set a note playing only every x time and to set, if it plays at the start or end of the x time... and now i have also the option to set it everywhere in the x-time range... And your visual solution for that setting is so simple! Thanks again :-)
Last edited by friday on 23 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

buddard
RE Developer

23 Sep 2020

stuk71 wrote:
23 Sep 2020
Been messing about with the bass line riff from 'Delorean Dynamite' (link) in conjunction with the new note conditions; that combined with key transpose using a midi controller. :thumbs_up: :reason:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y5mgc4sg6cu0 ... BFXNa?dl=0

Ive been using the 'NewAgerBass' found on the Korg Mono/Poly RE and messing with the cutoff and res
That sounds sick! Thank you for sharing!

chrispy

23 Sep 2020

buddard wrote:
22 Sep 2020
chrispy wrote:
17 Sep 2020
I have spotted one issue that seems repeatable, and I can’t test with 1.3 (since I’ve upgrade the RE already) to know whether it is something that has changed in 1.4. Here are the steps to recreate:
  • In pattern 1 of Sequences, reduce the pattern length to 16 steps, then draw out a pattern in the first 16 steps
  • Draw out a pattern clip from bars 2.1.1.0 to 5.1.1.0 (i.e. 3 repetitions of that pattern in one clip). Note that the problem doesn't happen if the clip is at the start of the song at 1.1.1.0.
  • Put the left and right loop markers around this clip, engage loop and press play
  • The first time through the loop you hear the three pattern iterations correctly
  • However, when the playhead loops back to 2.1.1.0 the pattern stops and doesn’t restart until later into the clip
This issue should now be fixed in Sequences 1.4.1 that we released a couple of hours ago!
Just tested 1.4.1 and yes indeed, it works perfectly.

Many thanks for such a quick fix!

buddard
RE Developer

23 Sep 2020

chrispy wrote:
23 Sep 2020
buddard wrote:
22 Sep 2020

Just tested 1.4.1 and yes indeed, it works perfectly.

Many thanks for such a quick fix!
Great to hear, thanks for confirming! :thumbs_up:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2020

buddard wrote:
22 Sep 2020
chrispy wrote:
17 Sep 2020
That fix has resolved a timing issue I was having with automatic pattern changes, I did put it down to CV latency... nice one...

Also a thank you for letting the displays update with CV input from the back.. :thumbs_up:

Sequences Pattern Change PB.cmb

challism

25 Sep 2020

For anybody wanting randomization for Sequences: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7519487&p=519698#p519698

Also, here are some patches I made for RB, but were rejected. I'm not saying they are good or anything, and I guess RB confirmed that they are crap by rejecting them! ha ha ha

Anyway, I'll share them here, in case you might be interested in checking out some different ways to use Conditions and Ratchets.
Some of these were made before per-note conditions were possible with Sequences.
seq.zip
(39.78 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

Jackjackdaw

25 Sep 2020

I think there is room in the world for a dedicated RB drum sequencer. 16 channels, polymeter sliders and all the good stuff from Sequences. I would buy it at least.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2020

Man...Sequences in combination with Euclid, MIDI-CV Converter and Latch with a Scales and Chords and Dual Arpeggio thrown in. Most fun I've had with Reason this year.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

stuk71

25 Sep 2020

I am already using it as a drum sequencer :thumbs_up:

challism

25 Sep 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
25 Sep 2020
I think there is room in the world for a dedicated RB drum sequencer. 16 channels, polymeter sliders and all the good stuff from Sequences. I would buy it at least.
You can already use Sequences as a drum sequencer. It's already got everything you need for that (except maybe an individual note shuffle or slide adjustment). I think it blows RS Drum Sequencer out of the water by a mile and a half, honestly. Have you tried it on drums yet?
MrFigg wrote:
25 Sep 2020
Man...Sequences in combination with Euclid, MIDI-CV Converter and Latch with a Scales and Chords and Dual Arpeggio thrown in. Most fun I've had with Reason this year.
I totally agree. I use all the same Players in my stack. Kompulsion makes a pretty sweet arpeggiator, too. I think I prefer it to Dual Arp. Anyway.... all these devices work so well together, it really is so much fun! I love all the happy accidents, too.

ljekio

25 Sep 2020

Conditions is just fantastic.

But I cannot achieve one thing.
Is it possible to make play first set of notes two times and a second set of notes the next two times?

challism

25 Sep 2020

ljekio wrote:
25 Sep 2020

Is it possible to make play first set of notes two times and a second set of notes the next two times?
Yes it is.
2play2skip2play2skip.zip
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

loopeydoug

25 Sep 2020

Can someone explain to me what the Fill function is and how I might use it?

Jackjackdaw

25 Sep 2020

loopeydoug wrote:
25 Sep 2020
Fill notes only play when the fill is activated either by CV in the back or automation. So you can have stuff there that only happens when it's triggered.

Creativemind

25 Sep 2020

Think I'm gonna get this soon to use in the Reason Rack Plug-In in Reaper. :-)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

buddard
RE Developer

26 Sep 2020

loopeydoug wrote:
25 Sep 2020
Like Jackjackdaw already mentioned, Fill is a Condition that can be triggered manually.
There are several ways to do this:
  1. Clicking in the rectangle that appears below each Fill Condition in the Condition lane (if you have several, it doesn’t matter which one you press)
  2. Sending a positive pulse to the Fill CV Input on the back panel
  3. Automating the Fill property (found in the Playback sub-menu in the automation list)
  4. Map a Combinator button to the Fill property
  5. Map a button (or MIDI key) on your MIDI controller to the Fill property using Remote
If you create a sequencer track for Sequences (by right-clicking on it and choosing “Create Track For...”) and make sure that it’s armed for recording automation, you can record Fills to the automation lane on the fly, using any method mentioned above except for the CV input.

I hope this clears things up!

ljekio

26 Sep 2020

challism wrote:
25 Sep 2020
ljekio wrote:
25 Sep 2020

Yes it is.
2play2skip2play2skip.zip

Sorry, I'm not sure if I understood correctly how exactly this works.

buddard
RE Developer

26 Sep 2020

ljekio wrote:
25 Sep 2020

Yes, you can do it the following way:
  1. Select the first set of notes
  2. Set their recurrence condition to 1:4
  3. Click on Copy and then Paste to duplicate the notes
  4. Set their recurrence condition to 2:4
  5. Then repeat this for the second set of notes, but set them to first 3:4 and then 4:4
It's because you can stack notes right on top of each other, and the copies have their own set of properties. :D

If you want to avoid stacking the notes (because it can be a little hard to see what's going on), you can also put the second set of notes an octave above or below the first set of notes, and then compensate for the difference using the Octave lane.

challism

26 Sep 2020

ljekio wrote:
26 Sep 2020
challism wrote:
25 Sep 2020

Yes it is.
2play2skip2play2skip.zip

Sorry, I'm not sure if I understood correctly how exactly this works.
Follow Buddard's steps. You can also download the patch I attached (in the zip file) to my post above to look more closely at how it works.

1reasonable

26 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
25 Sep 2020
I can’t find Latch in the Reason Shop - can you give me a link to it?
…………………………………………………………………

:reason: 11.3.6 ,  iMac Intel Core i5 (late 2012) OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2020

1reasonable wrote:
26 Sep 2020
MrFigg wrote:
25 Sep 2020
I can’t find Latch in the Reason Shop - can you give me a link to it?
It’s called Autolatch and it’s by Static Cling.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information