Help us make Reason better, take a short survey!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Billy+

18 Sep 2020

How do you get the discount code? I did the survey but got nothing, maybe I'm getting better midi support instead

tallguy

19 Sep 2020

Did the survey via Twitter, didn't get a discount code. I'm OK with it, I'm not looking to buy anything from the store at the moment. If anything, a discount code would tempt me to buy something when I don't need it.

Expl0rer

19 Sep 2020

done

tumar

20 Sep 2020

tallguy wrote:
19 Sep 2020
Did the survey via Twitter, didn't get a discount code.
The same here. How to obtain code?

chaosroyale

20 Sep 2020

I did the survey but some of the questions were really weird.

- When you use Reason, how important are the following things to you?-

So... does 5 stars mean "it is important because Reason has this feature, so I that's why I use Reason" ???? OR "it is important because Reason needs this feature and does not have it".. or just "generally this is important in any DAW" ?

..seems like the answer will have the opposite meaning depending on the way you think about the question.

Here are just two examples:

"The included instruments are of high quality"

Is the question -
"Do you use Reason because you think the included instruments are of high quality?" .. If so, no, not anymore.
or, "Do you think high quality instruments should be important for Reason, like they were at the beginning?" ..If so, yes.

"Coming up with new ideas for my music"

Is the question -
"I want features to help me come up with new ideas" ...If so, absolutely fucking not. I hate cheesy gimmick play-it-for-you devices.
or, "I always focus strongly on coming up with new ideas while making music" ..If so, absolutely yes, and I find a smooth fast workflow is the best way to do that, not "more content" or devices that make cliche EDM for me.

So I think I answered pretty randomly to some of the questions because I was so confused, and depending on their intention, my answers would be completely opposite.

guitfnky

20 Sep 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
20 Sep 2020

So... does 5 stars mean "it is important because Reason has this feature, so I that's why I use Reason" ???? OR "it is important because Reason needs this feature and does not have it".. or just "generally this is important in any DAW" ?

..seems like the answer will have the opposite meaning depending on the way you think about the question.

Here are just two examples:

"The included instruments are of high quality"

Is the question -
"Do you use Reason because you think the included instruments are of high quality?" .. If so, no, not anymore.
or, "Do you think high quality instruments should be important for Reason, like they were at the beginning?" ..If so, yes.

"Coming up with new ideas for my music"

Is the question -
"I want features to help me come up with new ideas" ...If so, absolutely fucking not. I hate cheesy gimmick play-it-for-you devices.
or, "I always focus strongly on coming up with new ideas while making music" ..If so, absolutely yes, and I find a smooth fast workflow is the best way to do that, not "more content" or devices that make cliche EDM for me.

So I think I answered pretty randomly to some of the questions because I was so confused, and depending on their intention, my answers would be completely opposite.
I didn't think the questions were that confusing at all. the context is right in the title of the thread: "help us make Reason better". it's about what you want Reason to be in the future.

"is it important that in Reason, the included instruments are of high quality?" if you want to use Reason for its instruments, the answer is probably yes. if you say no here, you're saying that you don't care about the quality of the instruments they provide, now or in the future.

for the question about coming up with new ideas for your own music, I'm not sure why anyone would think they were asking about your own (non-Reason) idea-generating capacity. that's not something RS could do anything about, so if that's what they were asking, it's sort of a pointless question. so again, it's talking about the context of Reason. do you like features in Reason that help you come up with new ideas for your music? for you, it's a no.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

exxx

21 Sep 2020

I think there is a little odd part of this survey.

Because reasontalk has a lot of complaints and improvements about reason daw.

Of course, the opinions of this place are not all, but I don't think there is any place for opinions beyond the ideas written here.

Giving discount vouchers as rewards is a bit weird, and surveys and discount vouchers seem to be temporary marketing tools.

PhutureD

21 Sep 2020

My issue is that the survey hardly addressees any of the issues concerned with the actual software . It was generic at best

Loque

21 Sep 2020

Nothing weird about in any way.

Ppl seem to mix up a few things here with the current surveys.

There is one public survey, also announced here.

There is one internal survey, for current customers. And RS gives them a voucher if they do the survey.

Same did and still do other companies. Forums is not the best place to get an idea of what to do. If i look at KVR, you get a big bunch of "hate", "dirt" and "sh!t" comments between a few useful comments. So best is, open your eyes, ask ppl in several places via several channels to get an idea, what is going on.

The only thing to mention is, that some companies do not give you anything back for surveys, while other are very generous with like 20$, 35$, 20% or whatever. RS didnt gave anybody anything in the past, so its a good thing from them to give their customers a little thing for the information they receive. The only drawback for me is, the 15% are pretty useless to me - but i had the same thing with other vouchers like that in the past.
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

21 Sep 2020

PhutureD wrote:
21 Sep 2020
My issue is that the survey hardly addressees any of the issues concerned with the actual software . It was generic at best
keeping it generic was the point, I think. they’re trying to figure out which areas of the software to focus on, by understanding what users are looking for.

if the people who took the survey overwhelmingly said they want more tools to help them come up with new ideas, it wouldn’t make sense for them to focus on adding markers or track folders, for instance.

the free-form question at the end is where you’re supposed to talk specifics.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

bossa
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2020

I used a support ticket to tell reasonstudios that I took part in the survey and asked for a promocode, which was then assigned to me.

rgdaniel

23 Sep 2020

doze wrote:
17 Sep 2020
rgdaniel wrote:
17 Sep 2020

Good question... The only thing I'm interested in right now is Friktion,
but if I use the 15% on that, sure as heck it'll go on sale for 40% off the next day...
Do it for the rest of us.... 40% off would be great ;)
Well I took one for the team... bought Friktion with my survey discount... expect it to go down to 40% off any day now... you're welcome.... I'm going to tell my wife it's her birthday present... "I know we said no presents this year, but I couldn't resist. I'll keep it safe for you, here on my computer"

Koshdukai

23 Sep 2020

The 1-to-5 questions were weird, I agree.

Done.

Couldn't help to suggest my long time wishes for Reason so... nothing new from me :)

(wasn't aware there was a discount to win... I need to start reading stuff to the end :? )

qn5

24 Sep 2020

Creativemind wrote:
18 Sep 2020
qn5 wrote:
17 Sep 2020
Suggested *finish this song for me* feature.

donesies.
So because people want the software to improve and add more features, they're expecting the software to write the song for them?

You're on Reason 6 then?
Jokes are things. :lol:
Still, I'd personally love a "finish the song" for me button.
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

retango

24 Sep 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
20 Sep 2020

This exact same thing happened to me. Was not sure what they meant.. And whats worst, almost all the questions were like this. Very poorly designed survey.. its a pitty..
:reason: :rebirth: :re: :PUF_balance: :PUF_figure:

Man@Arms

30 Sep 2020

Done

MusicianX

02 Oct 2020

esselfortium wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Thanks for doing this. Filled out the survey and my wishlist for smarter mixer/sequencer/rack organization (with folders!), track presets to save and recall groups of tracks with their mixer channels, and macros.
I asked for the same exact things. I really would love some sort of folders and track presets.

SynthGang

04 Oct 2020

Are we all reading the same language? If I were to assume that Reason Studios was in a somewhat vulnerable market position, which I do suspect may be the case, then I think the questions were very well-suited to generating the sorts of responses the company will need to help them figure out their future direction.

I really don't believe they are in dire straits, but if I were to hazard a guess I would say that their market share, user adoption and license sales have all almost certainly declined over the last few version releases, and that this decline was preceded by a sustained period of growth - good reasons to be proactive indeed. The release of version 6.5 finally saw Reason becoming a full-fledged DAW and probably helped accelerate that growth right up to versions 8 or 9. Meanwhile the DAW market at large continued to evolve at breakneck speeds all while becoming increasingly fragmented, eventually leaving RS and it's well-deserved reputation for a snail-like pace of development in the dust - which is where we stand today of course. I believe this survey is simply proof that they need to gauge their position in order to find a sustainable way forward and survive.

Which brings me to my main point: acknowledging that this is pure conjecture, I believe the real problem with Reason Studios lies in its culture as an organization. When you consider RS' design approach and history as a company, it isn't unreasonable to think that their staff might have a skillset better suited to completing smaller more closed-ended projects (read: Rebirth, virtual cables, modular environment, etc.) rather than being able to focus on the very necessary but tedious "big picture, small details" development work that is needed to help push Reason back into the space of being a serious contender as a DAW. Reason is sort of a tinkerer's dream but obviously lacks some of the depth offered by much of the competition and I think the reasons (the reason *ahem* why 'Reason' is terrible branding from an SEO standpoint btw but I digress) for why that is, are obvious when you consider RS' development decisions over time (e.g. consistent development focus on the rack itself). Problem is I'm not convinced of RS' ability to survive as a developer of RE's or VSTs when comparing them to the likes of Native Instruments for example: Battery vs. Kong/Umpf/Poof/the 1,000 other unnecessary drum machines? One is both as simple and as deep as you want it to be while the others are mere toys with very limited capability. How many more drum machines do we need? I get it, they were intended for new users/Reason Intro users but it's frustrating to pay for multiple version upgrades and instead of being provided with powerful new features we get yet another freakin' drum machine! :puf_unhappy:

At the end of the survey I basically said that I love Reason as a full-fledged DAW and if it makes financial sense for the company, I really hope they can start working on bringing it up to snuff in that department. In my never-ending quest to learn more I get frustrated and jealous by what tools I see available to users of other platforms. Almost all of those things are likely to have workarounds in Reason but who wants a workaround? We want workflow! As we become more powerful users we thirst for more powerful features because the easier something becomes in a DAW, the less barrier we have to our creativity and that's really what this is all about!
Last edited by SynthGang on 05 Oct 2020, edited 1 time in total.

SynthGang

05 Oct 2020

Maybe the situation really is more dire than I thought - how many new adopters could there really be with results like these:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (45.39 KiB) Viewed 2911 times
:cry:

This makes me wonder how beneficial it might be to consider a complete re-branding away from 'Reason'?

I know suggesting this is one of the most blasphemous things a Reason user could say (and I have always quite liked the name), but I also know just how frustrating it is to find Reason-related content on YouTube or the internet at large due to the simple fact that 'Reason' is just too ambiguous a word. In order to find relevant results I've always found it necessary to type Reason Studios in quotation marks to ensure only results containing that exact string of words are returned.

Cakewalk, FL Studio, Presonus, Ableton, Pro Tools - these are all immediately identifiable. While Logic might be in the same branding boat as Reason, it has the obvious advantage of being owned by Apple! Realistically it's probably neither wise nor worth the effort/cost to re-brand, but RS could probably do a better job of marketing themselves. Unless they find a new way forward then all roads lead to a complete overhaul.

miyaru

05 Oct 2020

Done the questions. I really like Reason, it works nice, feels nice and sounds nice!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

faun2500

12 Oct 2020

I took the survey. Thanks.
Big discounts on new Reason ReFills at https://NewLoops.com :refill: :refill: :thumbs_up:

MrBlue

13 Oct 2020

@SynthGang
Where did you get these numbers?

two shoes

13 Oct 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
17 Sep 2020
madmacman wrote:
17 Sep 2020
I filled the survey, but didn't submit when I reached the last page. Because after reconsidering my previous answers, I didn't feel to be the target audience of Reason. And I didn't want to derail the survey - left it to people more dedicated to Reason.
Please fill it in anyway! There's not just one target audience and we want to hear from everyone :)
They don't take seriously or learn from feedback of any kind from anyone. This and the previous Props forum they shut down to hide the "feedback" from prospective users are littered with the proof of that and the bitterness it engenders from their most enthusiastic and long term customers. and I see no signs of that changing under current ownership/management at RS.

Skimrok

18 Oct 2020

Done

32 or 64 bit song export and VST3 support inside Reason without any silly work around
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Creativemind

18 Oct 2020

SynthGang wrote:
04 Oct 2020
Are we all reading the same language? If I were to assume that Reason Studios was in a somewhat vulnerable market position, which I do suspect may be the case, then I think the questions were very well-suited to generating the sorts of responses the company will need to help them figure out their future direction.

I really don't believe they are in dire straits, but if I were to hazard a guess I would say that their market share, user adoption and license sales have all almost certainly declined over the last few version releases, and that this decline was preceded by a sustained period of growth - good reasons to be proactive indeed. The release of version 6.5 finally saw Reason becoming a full-fledged DAW and probably helped accelerate that growth right up to versions 8 or 9. Meanwhile the DAW market at large continued to evolve at breakneck speeds all while becoming increasingly fragmented, eventually leaving RS and it's well-deserved reputation for a snail-like pace of development in the dust - which is where we stand today of course. I believe this survey is simply proof that they need to gauge their position in order to find a sustainable way forward and survive.

Which brings me to my main point: acknowledging that this is pure conjecture, I believe the real problem with Reason Studios lies in its culture as an organization. When you consider RS' design approach and history as a company, it isn't unreasonable to think that their staff might have a skillset better suited to completing smaller more closed-ended projects (read: Rebirth, virtual cables, modular environment, etc.) rather than being able to focus on the very necessary but tedious "big picture, small details" development work that is needed to help push Reason back into the space of being a serious contender as a DAW. Reason is sort of a tinkerer's dream but obviously lacks some of the depth offered by much of the competition and I think the reasons (the reason *ahem* why 'Reason' is terrible branding from an SEO standpoint btw but I digress) for why that is, are obvious when you consider RS' development decisions over time (e.g. consistent development focus on the rack itself). Problem is I'm not convinced of RS' ability to survive as a developer of RE's or VSTs when comparing them to the likes of Native Instruments for example: Battery vs. Kong/Umpf/Poof/the 1,000 other unnecessary drum machines? One is both as simple and as deep as you want it to be while the others are mere toys with very limited capability. How many more drum machines do we need? I get it, they were intended for new users/Reason Intro users but it's frustrating to pay for multiple version upgrades and instead of being provided with powerful new features we get yet another freakin' drum machine! :puf_unhappy:

At the end of the survey I basically said that I love Reason as a full-fledged DAW and if it makes financial sense for the company, I really hope they can start working on bringing it up to snuff in that department. In my never-ending quest to learn more I get frustrated and jealous by what tools I see available to users of other platforms. Almost all of those things are likely to have workarounds in Reason but who wants a workaround? We want workflow! As we become more powerful users we thirst for more powerful features because the easier something becomes in a DAW, the less barrier we have to our creativity and that's really what this is all about!
It's no secret but I actually really agree with you there. They actually thought muting midi notes (which should've been included in Reason 3) was a worthy feature for a major whole version release. Bit insulting really. The whole midi editor getting a ton of new features and that being included would've been better and it advertised as a big midi editor update 'cause there are at least another 15 features needed for the midi editor.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information