Global Player/Launcher ?

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
deeplink
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2020

Just a 'WHAT IF' idea that I've been thinking about;

Perhaps a 'global' or 'main player' at the top of the rack (or perhaps a seperate window) that all the players in the rack by default link to?
- The whole key / scale of a song can be change at one location.
- Pre-sequnced Players, e.g RB Sequencers, QNG and Polystep + selection of the respective player's patterns - can all show up in a grid in this location. Which can create a sort of launchpad / clip launching environment
- All pre-sequenced player devices wont immediately run, only until launched in the global player
- Send notes to track to all devices as once
- Easily drag and drop player data from on device to another (no more copy+dragging for miles acrross the rack)

What do you think are the draw backs on this approach?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Jackjackdaw

20 Sep 2020

Isn't the main sequencer doing this? With pattern lanes and send notes to track, direct record etc. Its not exactly as you described but fulfils the same role

jam-s

20 Sep 2020

If we had virtual midi cables and players would be connected by those so you can see the signal flow, then I'd be in favour of this idea, but in its current form I think it would be very confusing and quite hard to implement.

selig
RE Developer

21 Sep 2020

The draw back is the limitation of Players. You only have access to notes in players. That means you cannot use sustain pedal, mod/pitch wheel, automation, etc.
Ultimately, at this point in time the Blocks concept is closer to being able to be converted to a "clip launcher" function than Players IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

chimp_spanner

05 Oct 2020

deeplink wrote:
20 Sep 2020
Just a 'WHAT IF' idea that I've been thinking about;

Perhaps a 'global' or 'main player' at the top of the rack (or perhaps a seperate window) that all the players in the rack by default link to?
- The whole key / scale of a song can be change at one location.
- Pre-sequnced Players, e.g RB Sequencers, QNG and Polystep + selection of the respective player's patterns - can all show up in a grid in this location. Which can create a sort of launchpad / clip launching environment
- All pre-sequenced player devices wont immediately run, only until launched in the global player
- Send notes to track to all devices as once
- Easily drag and drop player data from on device to another (no more copy+dragging for miles acrross the rack)

What do you think are the draw backs on this approach?
I can imagine how some of this might be hard (maybe impossible) to implement BUT one thing I've wanted for ages is global key + scale. Either a special device or an extra lane in the sequencer. All Player devices that use root key and scale quantization would have new entries added; "Global", and then you'd just create automation clips for key/tonality changes. Like chord tracks in Cubase I guess. This would be HUGE. Players are really useful already but if you've got a lot of them, you just end up with tonnes and tonnes of automation tracks if you wanna get them to follow any kind of progression beyond just hanging on one key.

Aquila

06 Oct 2020

It would make more sense to have a player that can act as a full-featured sequencer (ie. more than just 16 paltry steps) with multiple quantisable pages/blocks that could be selectable via midi notes or cv.

...and then a master Rack Extension with a clip launch matrix that can trigger multiple instances of these players via cv

deeplink
Competition Winner

07 Oct 2020

Aquila wrote:
06 Oct 2020
It would make more sense to have a player that can act as a full-featured sequencer (ie. more than just 16 paltry steps) with multiple quantisable pages/blocks that could be selectable via midi notes or cv.

...and then a master Rack Extension with a clip launch matrix that can trigger multiple instances of these players via cv
What I feel would really assist with the workflow is something like this. Perhaps a sequencer-player that can behaves like Albeton's midi clips - i.e the pattern length is determined not by the number of steps you set it to prior to recording, but rather set by however long you record for.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

• Information