Kushview Element - free open source VST3 to VST2 bridge for Reason

Discuss VST stuff here!
miscend

17 Sep 2020

If you need to use VST 3 or AU plugins in Reason and don't want to spend cash. Kushview Element is open source and currently the only free option. But's it's pretty tricky finding download links. For the current version you can either download the source code to compile yourself or you pay $2 to download a compiled build from the main developer's site. But thankfully older builds can be found on their Github archive, I put direct links below.

Windows 64 bit direct here
https://github.com/kushview/Element/rel ... 0.41.1.exe

OS 10 here
https://github.com/kushview/Element/rel ... 0.41.1.dmg

https://github.com/kushview/Element
https://kushview.net/element/

PhutureD

17 Sep 2020

Also helpful as a container for those vst midi devices that do not normally work in reason. Can be used to send midi to other vsts
inside of the wrapper without any other software requirements.

miscend

17 Sep 2020

Yep its a surprisingly capable and flexible tool. I was preparing to buy Metaplugin but this does pretty everything I would need for now.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2020

Can it host effects? I tried Nektarine but that’ll only host instruments.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
17 Sep 2020
Yes you can run effects in it...
You can run the RRPi in it :)

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2020

miscend wrote:
17 Sep 2020
Thanks for the 41.1 link I was still on 40.0

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 Sep 2020
MrFigg wrote:
17 Sep 2020
Yes you can run effects in it...
You can run the RRPi in it :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2020

I’ve downloaded it but am at work just now so can’t have a look. Is it easy enough to use or is it mind boggling?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
17 Sep 2020
I’ve downloaded it but am at work just now so can’t have a look. Is it easy enough to use or is it mind boggling?
Very easy...

You just wire up what you want inside it...

Route the Audio \ Midi to the device and route the audio out.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (105.97 KiB) Viewed 19430 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 Sep 2020
MrFigg wrote:
17 Sep 2020
Very easy...

You just wire up what you want inside it...

Route the Audio \ Midi to the device and route the audio out.
Capture.JPG
Excellent Carly. Thanks :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2020

This might be a dumb question, but how do I load my VSTs in KV Element? They don't show up like in Carly's screenshot. I've specified their folders during install, and I can't even find a way to check the path that is set.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2020

diminished wrote:
17 Sep 2020
This might be a dumb question, but how do I load my VSTs in KV Element? They don't show up like in Carly's screenshot. I've specified their folders during install, and I can't even find a way to check the path that is set.
It's not dumb as you have to right click the box on the right hand side, caught me out when I was first using it, with these sort of apps, I tend to set things up standalone before running in Reason as you get a proper menu bar....
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (90.6 KiB) Viewed 19367 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2020

I'm not getting this. I create an audio track. I drag the VST3 effect into Kushview. I've tried connecting various things but not getting any results. Please help me out...what do I need to connect to get the audio through the effect and back out again.
Also...when I open the standalone version the little box to the top right isn't there.

Edit: Never mind...did it :). Scanned for VST3 and created audio input...that was what was missing :)
Last edited by MrFigg on 18 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

miscend

18 Sep 2020

diminished wrote:
17 Sep 2020
I've found its best initially to open KV Element in stand-alone mode and then let the plug-in manager run a scan. In stand-alone mode its under View > Plug In Manager.

miscend

18 Sep 2020

NM
Last edited by miscend on 18 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2020

miscend wrote:
18 Sep 2020
MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2020
I'm not getting this. I create an audio track. I drag the VST3 effect into Kushview. I've tried connecting various things but not getting any results. Please help me out...what do I need to connect to get the audio through the effect and back out again.
Also...when I open the standalone version the little box to the top right isn't there.

Edit: Never mind...did it :). Scanned for VST3 and created audio input...that was what was missing :)
Have you set it up like this?

Exactly like that thanks :). With the direct audio outs on the back of the audio track going into the audio ins on Kushview right?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2020
miscend wrote:
18 Sep 2020

Have you set it up like this?

Exactly like that thanks :). With the direct audio outs on the back of the audio track going into the audio ins on Kushview right?
Not using the Direct Outs, you use the inserts in's and out's
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (37.71 KiB) Viewed 19316 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 Sep 2020
MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2020

Not using the Direct Outs, you use the inserts in's and out's

Capture.JPG
Aha!!! Ok. I got it working with the directs. Is it better to use the inserts?

Also...say I want to put a fuzz straight after the audio track then into the Kushview effect is it...Insert fx to fuzz in, fuzz out to Kushview in and then Kushview outs back into Insert fx in?

And last question...can you automate the parameters of the VSTs contained in Kushview?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 Sep 2020
It's not dumb as you have to right click the box on the right hand side, caught me out when I was first using it, with these sort of apps, I tend to set things up standalone before running in Reason as you get a proper menu bar....
Great, thanks so much. I went to standalone mode and scanned for my plugins in there, it even has a menu bar.

If you don't mind me asking, how would one get MIDI out of a VST MIDI effect like Bluearp, to process it further with players? Is that even possible?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2020

diminished wrote:
18 Sep 2020
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 Sep 2020
Great, thanks so much. I went to standalone mode and scanned for my plugins in there, it even has a menu bar.

If you don't mind me asking, how would one get MIDI out of a VST MIDI effect like Bluearp, to process it further with players? Is that even possible?
You can't get midi out of the plugin into Reason, you can pump it into other VST's inside of Elements.

From standalone you can get midi out and pump it into Reason via a controller.. You can also get midi from Reason via the EMI\Midi out device into standalone elements.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2020
Also...say I want to put a fuzz straight after the audio track then into the Kushview effect is it...Insert fx to fuzz in, fuzz out to Kushview in and then Kushview outs back into Insert fx in?
Correct..
MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2020
And last question...can you automate the parameters of the VSTs contained in Kushview?
Not directly.

If you could it will be a double mapping, there is away to map inside of Elements then map Reason to that however I have not tried...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 Sep 2020
MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2020
Correct..
MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2020
Not directly.

If you could it will be a double mapping, there is away to map inside of Elements then map Reason to that however I have not tried...
Thanks again and again Carly. But...why is it better to use the sends than use the direct outs in the audio track?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2020
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 Sep 2020

Correct..

Not directly.

Thanks again and again Carly. But...why is it better to use the sends than use the direct outs in the audio track?
They are not sends they are inserts, 2 different things, if you are using the direct outs then you will need another mixer channel for the output of Elements to go to. Also using inserts you can change the order of the channel strip, so you could run an effect in Elements and then to compressor or EQ etc. on the audio channel strip.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 Sep 2020
MrFigg wrote:
18 Sep 2020

They are not sends they are inserts, 2 different things, if you are using the direct outs then you will need another mixer channel for the output of Elements to go to. Also using inserts you can change the order of the channel strip, so you could run an effect in Elements and then to compressor or EQ etc. on the audio channel strip.
Aa. Right. I’m still in that guitarist headspace if one cable one pedal one cable next pedal. Actually when I took the direct outs from the audio track into Kushview I got sound and that’s why I thought it was ok. Thanks for your help. Appreciated. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heater

19 Sep 2020

Thanks for the info. I can now use Zenology in Reason.

• Information